🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Roads service compensation

Options
I sent in my compensation form to DRD today as there was £145 worth of damage done to my car by a hole in the road. Has anyone claimed money back off them before? Im interested to hear anyones experiences with them.
Undefeated Wii Fit ski jump champion!
Vegas Junkie....

Festering_Plates' number one fan! :T

Comments

• Milko
    Milko Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tried to claim from the ROI roads department after damaging an alloy beyond repair. I'd photos of the pothole, damage report from engineer etc... & I never got a penny :(
  • Noz
    Noz Posts: 3,869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OH claimed some money back about 6 months ago, they didn't offer the full amount but it was enough to accept. They were quoted a response in about 6 months but got it in about 6 weeks
  • typhoon
    typhoon Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    i work for an insurance company and we have never been successful in recouping any money from the DRD...not for the want of trying either:mad:
  • marksimpson
    Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7192735.stm

Recent story on this subject from BBC News Northern Ireland.
  • darwin-rover
    Options
    I damaged an alloy and tyre when I hit a pot-hole a few weeks ago . Emailed DRD and they sent a letter saying they would give their response on 11th Feb .:exclamati
  • dmurray0
    dmurray0 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    For what it's worth, my father hit an out of place man hole cover on the way home from work.As a result it blew his tyre. He went to the police etc and ended up phoning Roads Service and when he went back to the scene ( a couple of hours later) there were a few men from Roads Service repairing the cover. He started to take photos. The guys said as long as they weren't in the photos they didn't mind. Roads said they were not at fault as there was a new development opposite and their diggers etc were most probably. He contacted the development company and they agreed to compensate him for the damage incurred!!
  • PandaPants_2
    PandaPants_2 Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Options
    Im hoping ill get my money back, or at least a large part of it. I really cant afford £145 for something that wasn't my fault. They said it takes around 4 months to come to a decision. Fingers crossed.
    Vegas Junkie....

• Wee_Bargain_Hunter
    Options
    We've had our tyre and wheel badly damaged. It's the 2nd time so we've decided to try claiming this time. Does anyone have any advice on how to maximise the chances of a successful claim? The helpline didn't really know an awful lot apart from saying that claims over £250 go to a loss adjuster and that the Roads Service can take up to 3 months to get back to the compensation people. Not much chance of me gathering evidence at that stage if I need it! Thanks
  • Brogie
    Brogie Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    The time taken to deal with the claim could be do to who is responsible for the claim. Sometimes it will be DRD Roads Service directly or it may be a contractor employed by them. In the latter they will pass the claim on to them to deal with, thus dragging the process on further. You would probably need photographic evidence to boost your chances. Though i did encounter one guy who crashed his car on a closed road i was working on. The road was closed with bollards across it with traffic managment and diversion route in place. This guy ignored it thinking he could get past but ultimately didnt. He then decided to ditch the signs into the surrounding fields and trying to claim there was no advance warning!! Luckily we had photographic evidence of the signs having been in place that day
  • PandaPants_2
    PandaPants_2 Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Options
    I got a letter today offering £125.75 of compensation. Im accepting it, i don't see the point in arguing over £20 and my wheel was already a bit dodgy anyway..... :rotfl: :rotfl:

Im delighted, i really didn't expect to see that money again! ;D
    Vegas Junkie....

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts