Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    anewman
    Any auto-electricians? Immobiliser removal.
    • 1st Feb 08, 11:34 PM
    Any auto-electricians? Immobiliser removal. 1st Feb 08 at 11:34 PM
    I have one of those ancient insert and remove electronic key immobilisers (by Meta Systems), that was installed by the importers of my car. I only have one key which is quite old, and it is no longer possible to get new or replacement keys. Before the key stops working or I lose it, it could be a good idea to remove the immobiliser rather than potentially end up stuck somewhere. I have thought about what the best approach might be to remove the immobiliser and hope I have got the right idea so wanted to check before I started chopping.

I have located the black box that controls it and it has about 7 black wires(excluding LED and key receptacle).

It seems the best approach would be to leave everything in place, strip a little insulation off each wire ensuring they don't touch each other or short out. Then get out a multimeter.

Determine which wires perform the following functions and label them....

+12v constant
    -12v ground (tested for continuity between wire and a good ground)
    +12v ignition switched (tested with key in the "on" position)

This should leave 4 wires' functions undetermined. Then with the key, turn the immobiliser off and test the remaining 4 wires for continuity. Hopefully they will pair up individually using this method - or maybe 2 wires are decoy wires? Then the task is to chop, strip and securely solder and insulate. Attempt to start the car with the immobiliser on, and if the car can be started I am successful. Then task is to remove all connections, insulate, and remove the black box.

I am not a qualified auto-electrician so I propose the above making a best guess at how the immobiliser functions. Is the above likely to work? Any suggestions on anything I may have missed? Also, should it be ok to start the car with the instrument panel removed? Thanks in advance.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

1,259Users online

Martin's Twitter