🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Consumer Unit Fitting Cost?

Options
Consumer Unit Fitting Cost? Hi any "Sparks" out there who would like to give an estimate as to the cost of having a consumer unit fitted in a 3/4 bed semi Just outside Manchester?

Comments

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    steveteach wrote:
    Consumer Unit Fitting Cost? Hi any "Sparks" out there who would like to give an estimate as to the cost of having a consumer unit fitted in a 3/4 bed semi Just outside Manchester?

Not a sparks but as an example i just had one fitted, it was a 12 way split board with MCB's Fitting cost was £125 plus the cost of the board.

Which i didnt think was to bad for the South East ;)
  • snowboardjon
    Options
    I'm curious about getting this done myself.

What's the reason for getting this done is it just to change from a fuse wire type to a circuit breaker type?

If so do you need to get any other wiring in the house redone to accomodate the new consumer unit?
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

What's the reason for getting this done is it just to change from a fuse wire type to a circuit breaker type?

If so do you need to get any other wiring in the house redone to accomodate the new consumer unit?

I got it done because i have 2 boys 5 and 2 that think its fun to push various objects into plug holes and that's after removing the safety plugs :eek:

The RCD / MCB installation is safer than the old fuse wire type installations, it will trip out in milliseconds if their is a leakage of current to earth.

Rather than me attempting a bad explanation, have a read here

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/consumer.htm

Oh, and if your wiring is generaly ok you will not need to renew it. If its not ok an RCD will tell you pretty quickly as it will trip out the system on a regular basis. :(
  • MastG
    MastG Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It is probably best to actually get someone in to see what has to be done and give a quote.

Older cables will need replacing, otherwise the MCB's will keep tripping(nuisance tripping).

I'd charge a minimum of £150 for labour (approx. 2 hours) [If you were in west london], the Consumer unit would cost between £25-£90 depending on make/split and mcb types

• steveteach
    steveteach Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks folks for all your info, I will now phone a few sparks and get someone in to have a look at the job and quote me a price. I plan to have this done early August while off work.
  • garyjohn66
    garyjohn66 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Due to government demands, we now have to pay for certification, so changing a consumer unit(CCU) isn't "just" changing the CCU. We now have to carry out an inspection of earthing and update as necessary. as we have to certify this work in domestic premises. But getting to point, I only charge from £280 for this in a standard 3bed house in East London.
  • robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    Options
    steveteach wrote:
    I am part p registered spark in bolton area .Werabouts are you.
  • steveteach
    Options
    Hi robby-01

I'm in Prestwich. What sort of price (pre-seeing it) would you expect to charge for 3/4 bed semi?
  • robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    Options
    If the earth bonding to the water and gas are ok .About £250 ,That would be for a decent quality splitload consumer unit,new tails to the meter,test, certification and registering under part p.
    If the earth bonding is not up to scratch it will cost more .Hard to give cost on that without having a look.
    Hope that helps
  • steveteach
    Options
    Hi

Any Sparks in Manchester who wish to visit and quote me a price, please reply? I would like this doing soon or in October whilst off work.

Very difficult to actually get a Sparks to visit and quote!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport