Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Page 1
    • Toiletduck
    • By Toiletduck 7th Jan 08, 12:39 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 08, 12:39 PM
    • 7th Jan 08, 12:39 PM
    I need to buy a new cooker and I would like a gas hob (because I'm used to it) but wondered if there is much difference between the cost of running a gas or electric oven.

Any thoughts? Thanks

(sorry if this is repeating but I'm new to the site and I did search!)
    Originally posted by pinkspottywellies

As with heating gas is cheaper to run, but they are more expensive to buy than electric ovens.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 7th Jan 08, 2:42 PM
    • 23,600 Posts
    • 49,969 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 08, 2:42 PM
    • 7th Jan 08, 2:42 PM
    I wouldn't have a gas oven if it was free to buy and free to run - horrible things.

Ok, perhaps if it was free.
  • Keldin
    • 7th Jan 08, 2:49 PM
    • 7th Jan 08, 2:49 PM
    Electric. Gas may be cheaper to run but electric ovens are easier to cook in and give better results. Plus you get a grill in the oven.

Gas hobs are far superior to electric.

• daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 7th Jan 08, 2:50 PM
    • 5,877 Posts
    • 4,254 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 08, 2:50 PM
    • 7th Jan 08, 2:50 PM
    I wouldn't have an electric oven if it was free to buy and free to run - horrible things.

No, not even if it was free and it came stuffed full of £50 notes.
  • nickcardwell
    • 7th Jan 08, 3:23 PM
    • 7th Jan 08, 3:23 PM
    if your going for a electric oven go for an induction hob, they are more energy efficient than an normal electric or gas oven...
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 7th Jan 08, 5:28 PM
    • 6,676 Posts
    • 22,321 Thanks
    • 7th Jan 08, 5:28 PM
    • 7th Jan 08, 5:28 PM
    if you want to have an automatic oven facility which can be run on a timer, I'd opt for electricity. Most ovens these days have two ovens, the main one and a smaller one which also contains the grill, so if you want to save money and only cook one item, it will be cheaper to use the smaller oven.
  • pinkspottywellies
    • 7th Jan 08, 6:51 PM
    • 7th Jan 08, 6:51 PM
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful. I had thought about the long term gas sources issue!

I'd be interested to know why people are so anti-electric. I certainly wouldn't like an electric hob but have never cooked with an electric oven. Are they awful?
  • linda.b
    • 8th Jan 08, 3:14 PM
    • 8th Jan 08, 3:14 PM
    I always had a gas hob, until I moved into a house with a halogen hob. I would never have gas again! not sure of the running costs but its so easy to keep clean. The oven is fan assisted so if cooking an item at say, 230dgs, with fan assist you would only cook at 210dgs, so saving energy.
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 8th Jan 08, 3:26 PM
    • 4,962 Posts
    • 5,260 Thanks
    It depends on whether you are more concerned with the cooking aspect or the cleaning of it.

Gas is cheaper and more controllable. You will almost always see gas in a professional kitchen.

But an electrical one is easier to clean.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Midnight Cowboy
    Funny enough, I'm about to buy a new oven too. I was flicking through a Which? magazine from last year and someone asked whether gas or electric hobs were cheaper to run. The answer was about £10 pa for gas, £30 pa for electric. Add to this that gas hobs are easier to use (mostly because they change temperature immediately which electric doesn't) and it becomes a no-brainer for the hob.

Ovens are different though. I would expect a gas oven to change temperature in a similar way to a gas hob, ie. quickly, but it's not so important with an oven is it? I couldn't find much research about oven efficiency, apart from one report which suggested a similar price difference to above, with fan-assisted ovens falling halfway in between. If a gas oven costs £50 a year to run, that would imply that a fan-assisted oven might cost £100-ish. So, it maybe worth tracking down a gas oven if it doesn't cost too much extra.

I'll post again if I find out more...
    • cattie
    • By cattie 21st Jan 08, 7:32 PM
    • 7,519 Posts
    • 5,060 Thanks
    Don't forget that fan ovens cook much faster than gas, so for that reason are considered more efficient. As with all electric ovens you just need to remember to turn off before food has fully cooked to maximise on the benefits of a fan oven & not waste energy unecessarily.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Midnight Cowboy
    Trouble is, it's all so difficult to quantify. A quick peep in my freezer suggests that fan ovens can be run about 20-30 degrees lower than conventional ones. But what will that equate to? 10% less power? Who knows? I'd like to find out, because I would choose a gas oven if it was significantly cheaper. It's a shame they don't have energy efficiency scores like electric ovens...
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 22nd Jan 08, 10:11 AM
    • 8,037 Posts
    • 19,434 Thanks
    Gas ovens may be cheaper to run,but as everyone has already said electric ovens give better results.That said gas hobs are better to use so a duel fuel cooker with a fan oven is best in my opinion.
  • Midnight Cowboy
    Electric ovens do have a more even temp throughout the oven, but apparently also dry the food out, which gas doesn't. Swings and roundabouts I guess! However, having done some more research, none of the major manufacturers seem to make built-in gas ovens (not in my price range, anyway) so I think the decision may have been made for me!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Oct 09, 11:10 PM
    • 12,320 Posts
    • 112,257 Thanks
    Bumping this thread back to life because I need to know something
    Does anybody know if Calor gas is cheaper than elect for a hob ?
  • twinmum
    Hi Mardartha,

I am interested to know if you ever found out the answer to your question? We are spending a fortune on LPG and wondered if changing our gas hob/electric oven rangemaster would be worthwhile...

• busiscoming2
    • By busiscoming2 5th Oct 10, 8:19 PM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 10,940 Thanks
    Jumping on the end of this very old thread. I have always had a gas cooker (freestanding) I only had gas I suppose because my mum did and that is what I learned to cook on!
    I am having a new kitchen and had thought I'd have a built under gas oven and a gas hob, found one I liked, with the limited choice available, and have found out it is now discontinued!
    I shall definitely have a gas hob. I am now looking at perhaps changing to an electric oven and grill (think they like to call them double ovens for some reason) I certainly dont want a single oven. Do electric ovens break down at all? Being all electric although they cost less to buy initially, do they cost more in the long run?
    • busiscoming2
    • By busiscoming2 6th Oct 10, 2:58 PM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 10,940 Thanks
    Anyone? Bump!!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Oct 10, 4:59 PM
    • 9,922 Posts
    • 13,205 Thanks
    Anyone? Bump!!
    Originally posted by busiscoming2
    Electric ovens do break down. We replaced ours last year when it started incinerating things... it was about 35 years old.

I expect it could have been repaired but Mrs Gloomendoom wanted a change.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

1,523Users online

Martin's Twitter