Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Gas or electric oven - which is cheaper to run? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Gas or electric oven - which is cheaper to run?
Closed Thread
Views: 45,247
# 1
pinkspottywellies
Old 06-01-2008, 9:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Gas or electric oven - which is cheaper to run?

I need to buy a new cooker and I would like a gas hob (because I'm used to it) but wondered if there is much difference between the cost of running a gas or electric oven.

Any thoughts? Thanks

(sorry if this is repeating but I'm new to the site and I did search!)
# 2
Toiletduck
Old 07-01-2008, 12:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkspottywellies View Post
I need to buy a new cooker and I would like a gas hob (because I'm used to it) but wondered if there is much difference between the cost of running a gas or electric oven.

Any thoughts? Thanks

(sorry if this is repeating but I'm new to the site and I did search!)

As with heating gas is cheaper to run, but they are more expensive to buy than electric ovens.
# 3
LandyAndy
Old 07-01-2008, 2:42 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I wouldn't have a gas oven if it was free to buy and free to run - horrible things.

Ok, perhaps if it was free.
# 4
Keldin
Old 07-01-2008, 2:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Electric. Gas may be cheaper to run but electric ovens are easier to cook in and give better results. Plus you get a grill in the oven.

Gas hobs are far superior to electric.

K
# 5
daveyjp
Old 07-01-2008, 2:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I wouldn't have an electric oven if it was free to buy and free to run - horrible things.

No, not even if it was free and it came stuffed full of 50 notes.
The Following User Says Thank You to daveyjp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
nickcardwell
Old 07-01-2008, 3:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

if your going for a electric oven go for an induction hob, they are more energy efficient than an normal electric or gas oven...
# 7
Primrose
Old 07-01-2008, 5:28 PM

if you want to have an automatic oven facility which can be run on a timer, I'd opt for electricity. Most ovens these days have two ovens, the main one and a smaller one which also contains the grill, so if you want to save money and only cook one item, it will be cheaper to use the smaller oven.
# 8
pinkspottywellies
Old 07-01-2008, 6:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks everyone! Very helpful. I had thought about the long term gas sources issue!

I'd be interested to know why people are so anti-electric. I certainly wouldn't like an electric hob but have never cooked with an electric oven. Are they awful?
# 9
linda.b
Old 08-01-2008, 3:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I always had a gas hob, until I moved into a house with a halogen hob. I would never have gas again! not sure of the running costs but its so easy to keep clean. The oven is fan assisted so if cooking an item at say, 230dgs, with fan assist you would only cook at 210dgs, so saving energy.
# 10
ariba10
Old 08-01-2008, 3:26 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ariba10

It depends on whether you are more concerned with the cooking aspect or the cleaning of it.

Gas is cheaper and more controllable. You will almost always see gas in a professional kitchen.

But an electrical one is easier to clean.
I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
# 11
Midnight Cowboy
Old 21-01-2008, 6:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Funny enough, I'm about to buy a new oven too. I was flicking through a Which? magazine from last year and someone asked whether gas or electric hobs were cheaper to run. The answer was about 10 pa for gas, 30 pa for electric. Add to this that gas hobs are easier to use (mostly because they change temperature immediately which electric doesn't) and it becomes a no-brainer for the hob.

Ovens are different though. I would expect a gas oven to change temperature in a similar way to a gas hob, ie. quickly, but it's not so important with an oven is it? I couldn't find much research about oven efficiency, apart from one report which suggested a similar price difference to above, with fan-assisted ovens falling halfway in between. If a gas oven costs 50 a year to run, that would imply that a fan-assisted oven might cost 100-ish. So, it maybe worth tracking down a gas oven if it doesn't cost too much extra.

I'll post again if I find out more...
The Following User Says Thank You to Midnight Cowboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
cattie
Old 21-01-2008, 7:32 PM

Don't forget that fan ovens cook much faster than gas, so for that reason are considered more efficient. As with all electric ovens you just need to remember to turn off before food has fully cooked to maximise on the benefits of a fan oven & not waste energy unecessarily.
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
# 13
Midnight Cowboy
Old 21-01-2008, 10:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Trouble is, it's all so difficult to quantify. A quick peep in my freezer suggests that fan ovens can be run about 20-30 degrees lower than conventional ones. But what will that equate to? 10% less power? Who knows? I'd like to find out, because I would choose a gas oven if it was significantly cheaper. It's a shame they don't have energy efficiency scores like electric ovens...
# 14
MRSTITTLEMOUSE
Old 22-01-2008, 10:11 AM

Gas ovens may be cheaper to run,but as everyone has already said electric ovens give better results.That said gas hobs are better to use so a duel fuel cooker with a fan oven is best in my opinion.
# 15
Midnight Cowboy
Old 22-01-2008, 12:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Electric ovens do have a more even temp throughout the oven, but apparently also dry the food out, which gas doesn't. Swings and roundabouts I guess! However, having done some more research, none of the major manufacturers seem to make built-in gas ovens (not in my price range, anyway) so I think the decision may have been made for me!
# 16
mardatha
Old 09-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Question

Bumping this thread back to life because I need to know something
Does anybody know if Calor gas is cheaper than elect for a hob ?
# 17
twinmum
Old 14-01-2010, 10:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi Mardartha,

I am interested to know if you ever found out the answer to your question? We are spending a fortune on LPG and wondered if changing our gas hob/electric oven rangemaster would be worthwhile...

Thanks

Sarah
# 18
busiscoming2
Old 05-10-2010, 8:19 PM

Jumping on the end of this very old thread. I have always had a gas cooker (freestanding) I only had gas I suppose because my mum did and that is what I learned to cook on!
I am having a new kitchen and had thought I'd have a built under gas oven and a gas hob, found one I liked, with the limited choice available, and have found out it is now discontinued!
I shall definitely have a gas hob. I am now looking at perhaps changing to an electric oven and grill (think they like to call them double ovens for some reason) I certainly dont want a single oven. Do electric ovens break down at all? Being all electric although they cost less to buy initially, do they cost more in the long run?
# 19
busiscoming2
Old 06-10-2010, 2:58 PM

Anyone? Bump!!
# 20
Gloomendoom
Old 06-10-2010, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busiscoming2 View Post
Anyone? Bump!!
Electric ovens do break down. We replaced ours last year when it started incinerating things... it was about 35 years old.

I expect it could have been repaired but Mrs Gloomendoom wanted a change.
Closed Thread