Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Tabby
    Southeastern Trains
    • 6th Jan 08, 2:42 PM
    Southeastern Trains 6th Jan 08 at 2:42 PM
    Arrrggghhh! I have had it up to here with Southeastern trains (SET)...
    In November 2007 I travelled 1st class to a wedding as I was taking cakes and did not want them squished. The train got stuck behind a broken down train and we were stranded for around 2 hours which meant I missed the wedding. If that was not bad enough, the driver allowed a passenger to smoke a cigarette in his cab. Then the train terminated at the next stop where we had to wait for another train to take us a few more stops before terminating. Then at the main station, I wanted to catch a train one stop to the village station, and was told by a station assistant the train stopped at the village station but it didn't and I ended up going past it. As you can imagine, I was very upset.

I wrote to SET and sent copies of the tickets and wedding invite asked for a refund and said I wanted to know what SET's policy was on allowing passengers into the driver's cab (surely a security breach in light of the current climate) and then allowing someone to smoke since the Health Act 2006 ban on smoking in public places was brought in.

Well I heard nothing so I called them in December. Sorry, they said, we sent you a letter and a cheque, we'll send them again.

I eventually received a cheque for HALF the cost of the outward journey that was affected (according to their charter I should have got a 100% refund) and some stupid leisure vouchers 'as a goodwill gesture'. They also managed to misspell my surname even though I had sent them a typed letter. The letter they claimed was enclosed was not enclosed.

I called them again and said, where is the letter? And please spell my name correctly.

Sorry, they said and eventually I got a letter back. The letter did not mention the smoking on the train. I called and said I wanted a full refund and that I would be taking it further as I was not satisfied with their response and the incompetence of the muppets in the customer services team. I said I would write to Govia Ltd (the parent company of SET who allow them to run the franchise). The woman on the phone had not heard of Govia Ltd but suggested I could write to their MD at SET.

So I emailed Govia Ltd (fed up of spending postage on getting SET to deal with my complaint effectively) and asked them to forward my complaint to the MD at SET and told them I had reported them to the borough council regarding the smoking.

Then I get a letter from the same muppets at SET saying sorry, we will speak to the driver concerned about the smoking on the train.

Now the council have left me a voicemail saying 'not a lot we can do unless you know the name and address of the passenger'
    This is RIDICULOUS - the company should be fined as it was the driver who invited the passenger to smoke in his cab.

I am at my wits end with this!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

557Posts Today

8,118Users online

Martin's Twitter