Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Ford Focus Engine Light (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Ford Focus Engine Light
Closed Thread
Views: 57,808
# 21
mikey72
Old 01-05-2009, 6:38 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Just fixed my Zafira, after the warning light came on, limped home at 40mph, where it died entirely.
Press the accelerator and brake down, turn the igniton on, after the other lights go out, the ecu light flashs, count the flashes, code was 0335, - crankshaft sensor fault.
I fitted a new sensor, problem solved, about 100 saved on the dealer.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikey72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
Sirbendy
Old 01-05-2009, 9:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What age was the Zaf? Older vauxhalls are a doddle to interrogate, some are a total !!!!. I've just bought an X plate Astra, and I'm going to get myself a diag lead system for it, as I can see it being useful..
# 23
mikey72
Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
What age was the Zaf? Older vauxhalls are a doddle to interrogate, some are a total !!!!. I've just bought an X plate Astra, and I'm going to get myself a diag lead system for it, as I can see it being useful..
04 Zafira A.
# 24
Davidsb
Old 27-05-2009, 7:28 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Ford Focus '02 1.6 Ghia warning light

I replaced the n/s dipped headlight, which required removal of the battery.

A couple of days afterwards, the engine management system warning light came on - DTC 9318 (battery voltage low). I re-fitted the battery, which cured the problem - for a week or so, then the warning light illuminated again - same code. Once again, I disconnected and reconnected the battery - same result, the light went out, and reappeared a week later.

This has now happened four times - is there a re-set button or something which I need to press to stop this happening?
# 25
goldspanners
Old 27-05-2009, 6:54 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsb View Post

A couple of days afterwards, the engine management system warning light came on - DTC 9318 (battery voltage low). I re-fitted the battery, which cured the problem - for a week or so, then the warning light illuminated again - same code. Once again, I disconnected and reconnected the battery - same result, the light went out, and reappeared a week later.

This has now happened four times - is there a re-set button or something which I need to press to stop this happening?
possibly a broken earth lead or a bad connection at the battery?
...work permit granted!
# 26
maniac886
Old 27-05-2009, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsb View Post

It could be possible that the alternator is on its way out.
"He's a maniac, maniac that's for sure,
He will kill your cat and nail him to the door"
Murphys No More Pies Club Member #95
The Following User Says Thank You to maniac886 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
sandycheeks
Old 30-09-2009, 3:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My warning light on my Forc Focus Cmax TCDi intermittantly comes on and occasionally a plume of smoke will come out - shouls I be worried (it's an 04)
The Following User Says Thank You to sandycheeks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
bobsuruncle44
Old 08-12-2009, 5:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Red face same ford focus engine light problem

[QUOTE=gardnose;7620577]Just found this top tip on another forum.
There's an inbuilt 'dashboard diagnostics self test' system, which displays error codes (at least it does on my Ford Focus 1.6, X reg).

thanks gardnose. my 51 ford focus 1.6 zetec had the same error codes as yours. i know my odometer is temporamental anyway as the revs stay where they are but the odometer and speed don't move/stay at zero.

Typical ford and these models. the faulty odometer has been on watchdog before. apparently you can either pay ford 400 to replace the circuit on the dash or take the dials out yourself and spray the board with wd40. i'll do neither. On a bad note, no one will know the true mieage when its sold
# 29
harveybobbles
Old 08-12-2009, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkyboy View Post
Paid 28 to get rid of INSP warning , but the mechanic said that the INSP would come back again in 12 months or so,
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INSP just means it is due foir a servuice. So yes, of bleeding course it'll come back on in 12 months time! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
DCA's have no legal powers - their threats are empty and full of the words might, may, could, consider, recommend..
The Following User Says Thank You to harveybobbles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
harveybobbles
Old 08-12-2009, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycheeks View Post
My warning light on my Forc Focus Cmax TCDi intermittantly comes on and occasionally a plume of smoke will come out - shouls I be worried (it's an 04)
Probably be the EGR valve clogged up with soot.
DCA's have no legal powers - their threats are empty and full of the words might, may, could, consider, recommend..
# 31
hamario
Old 15-12-2009, 10:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

[QUOTE=bobsuruncle44;27668213]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardnose View Post
Just found this top tip on another forum.
There's an inbuilt 'dashboard diagnostics self test' system, which displays error codes (at least it does on my Ford Focus 1.6, X reg).

thanks gardnose. my 51 ford focus 1.6 zetec had the same error codes as yours. i know my odometer is temporamental anyway as the revs stay where they are but the odometer and speed don't move/stay at zero.

Typical ford and these models. the faulty odometer has been on watchdog before. apparently you can either pay ford 400 to replace the circuit on the dash or take the dials out yourself and spray the board with wd40. i'll do neither. On a bad note, no one will know the true mieage when its sold
I bought my 03 1.6 Zetec Focus last week, it has 49000 on the clock but the odometer only shows 9000. Nothing wrong with the odometer though from what I can see.

My engine warning light came on yesterday, so I called up Ford near my work in Speke and they said it'd cost me 66 just to have the diagnosis machine hooked up to my car, and they'd need half a day.

Thinking of investing in a device of my own after hearing those charges
# 32
scotsman4th
Old 15-12-2009, 10:59 PM

[QUOTE=hamario;27896575]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsuruncle44 View Post

I bought my 03 1.6 Zetec Focus last week, it has 49000 on the clock but the odometer only shows 9000. Nothing wrong with the odometer though from what I can see.

My engine warning light came on yesterday, so I called up Ford near my work in Speke and they said it'd cost me 66 just to have the diagnosis machine hooked up to my car, and they'd need half a day.

Thinking of investing in a device of my own after hearing those charges
Join a yahoo group. A Ford one first then if you can get a decent Focus one, that too.
Pre 2000 vauxhalls only need a paperclip to diagnose faults. Every car has it's quirks, you might not need a fault code reader at all ( I bought one for a rover 800 once, it could tell you what was wrong without it).
The yahoo forums will also have helpful tips and advice on component testing.
# 33
cramo13
Old 01-01-2011, 2:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

i agree why do you pay 1.25 per litre for fuel and dont do owt about it, but moan when us time trained mechanics charge you less than the dealer!and definitely less than !other trade professionals,we spend all our lifes buying expensive tools to repair your car!but everyone wans it for nowt!try saying it when your in asda doing you shopping!guessnot!!!
# 34
Tigsteroonie
Old 01-01-2011, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramo13 View Post
i agree why do you pay 1.25 per litre for fuel and dont do owt about it, but moan when us time trained mechanics charge you less than the dealer!and definitely less than !other trade professionals,we spend all our lifes buying expensive tools to repair your car!but everyone wans it for nowt!try saying it when your in asda doing you shopping!guessnot!!!
Bumping an old (2009) thread for any reason, Cramo?
Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

The only way is UP!
# 35
russthemink
Old 17-01-2011, 6:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldspanners View Post
i really hate this when people think 50 for a time served mechanic using expensive equiptment to diagnose faults is charging through the nose.

what does your company charge for your services for an hour?

if you got a joiner or plumber in to do some work in your house i would bet you would be paying more than 50 per hour.

why do people hate to pay for thier cars to be fixed but dont mind being ripped off by an electrician or the likes?

Because any fool can plug in a box and press TEST
# 36
goldspanners
Old 17-01-2011, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russthemink View Post
Because any fool can plug in a box and press TEST
but can any fool remedy the fault the box finds?

if so then buy yourself a box and become "any fool".

any fool can join 2 pipes together,any fool can sand a door or fit a kitchen,any fool can wire up a light. but people still employ plumbers,joiners and electricians and don't question thier prices which are usually hourly rates similar to a mechanic. but the joiners and plumbers don't need to invest thousands of pounds in diagnostic equipment with all the regular (costly) software updates and thier tool box is much less comprehensive than a mechanics.

i have a tool chest and a roll cabinet and 2 smaller boxes full of tools totalling about 3000 (and diagnostic equiptment worth around 2000,supplied by company)
my mate is a self employed plumber/heating engineer and he only has 2 small tool boxes with fairly cheap tools,probably totalling 200 tops and no diagnostic equiptment other than a tin of leak detector spray and a multi meter.
...work permit granted!
# 37
jonnywoods
Old 06-10-2011, 9:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardnose View Post
Just found this top tip on another forum.

- Hold down the 'trip/distance' reset button on the dashboard, and then switch the ignition on.
- The needles/dials on the dashboard will spin once, and then the trip distance display will say '6a6e'.
- Keep pressing the reset button, and some tests on the dashboard will display, eg all the bulbs will light up, and the petrol gauge needle will spin.
- Eventually, the display will read DTC and some codes (if your engine light is on). Mine read DTC, then d123 and d041. These meant that the engine wasn't receiving any speed or odometer variables/information.

That would have cost at least 50 for an engine diagnostics test at my local charge-through-the-nose garage, before doing any work at all!

I tried this out as my engine warning light is staying on and got code after code but never got anything which said DTC. Does anyone know what this means? If it helps (and I have no idea if does) the codes were as follows:

The test starts with 9a9E, then.... led5, r31, e001, FFFF, none, 00E.o, 0000, 012.t, F215, L240, 49F.F, 039C, 076.C, 000.0, CHE.2, 610.9, Ab-l, Eb-l, Il-l, 0800, 0500, Cr-H, 0-02, 1-1C, 2-00, 3-90, 4-??, 5-00, 6-00, 8-??, 9-??, 0154, 1129, 2171, 3000, 4255, P117, P2FF, P3FF, P4FF.

Then back to 9a9E which I assume means test over!

Only 2 weeks ago my car was misfiring so I had new plugs fitted etc, and it passed the MOT last week no problem.

Can anyone help?
# 38
woowoley
Old 07-10-2011, 8:49 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Does it come with software?
# 39
adriandilly
Old 17-10-2011, 5:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywoods View Post
I tried this out as my engine warning light is staying on and got code after code but never got anything which said DTC. Does anyone know what this means? If it helps (and I have no idea if does) the codes were as follows:

The test starts with 9a9E, then.... led5, r31, e001, FFFF, none, 00E.o, 0000, 012.t, F215, L240, 49F.F, 039C, 076.C, 000.0, CHE.2, 610.9, Ab-l, Eb-l, Il-l, 0800, 0500, Cr-H, 0-02, 1-1C, 2-00, 3-90, 4-??, 5-00, 6-00, 8-??, 9-??, 0154, 1129, 2171, 3000, 4255, P117, P2FF, P3FF, P4FF.

Then back to 9a9E which I assume means test over!

Only 2 weeks ago my car was misfiring so I had new plugs fitted etc, and it passed the MOT last week no problem.

Can anyone help?
The 6th one you put ("none") means no DTCs are logged.."none" should alternate with "dTc" when you're on it
Closed Thread