Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    mat01
    Ford Focus Engine Light
    • 19th Jun 05, 2:46 PM
    Ford Focus Engine Light 19th Jun 05 at 2:46 PM
    When something goes wrong on a Ford Focus, and many other types of car, a light goes on on the dashboard. It stays on until your car is fixed.

Problem is : The light could mean any one of about a hundred problems, some very serious, and some pretty piffling.

Yesterday my light went on. My garage told me that to tell me what was wrong they'd charge me one hour of labour - 60. Add to that the expense of getting back from my garage without the car, the time involved, public transport whilst is was being looked at, and we're looking at close to 70.

However - Ford Focuses can very easily tell you what is wrong with them, so you don't have to take them into the garage. You need a small device which plugs into a laptop and to a little plug under your steering wheel - you can get them from e-ebay. The device will also reset the engine light to off, so that you can see if the problem happens again. You can also get stand-alone versions that don't need a laptop.

Mine cost 65, and told me that my car's oxygen sensor had failed. It cost just over 10 to replace and I did it myself.

Total saving this time round = break even. Next time however, I'll know what is wrong with my car before I take it to the garage, possibly saving me wads of money and time.
    Waddle you do eh?
Page 2
  • mikey72
    Just fixed my Zafira, after the warning light came on, limped home at 40mph, where it died entirely.
    Press the accelerator and brake down, turn the igniton on, after the other lights go out, the ecu light flashs, count the flashes, code was 0335, - crankshaft sensor fault.
    I fitted a new sensor, problem solved, about 100 saved on the dealer.
  • Sirbendy
    What age was the Zaf? Older vauxhalls are a doddle to interrogate, some are a total !!!!. I've just bought an X plate Astra, and I'm going to get myself a diag lead system for it, as I can see it being useful..
  • mikey72
    What age was the Zaf? Older vauxhalls are a doddle to interrogate, some are a total !!!!. I've just bought an X plate Astra, and I'm going to get myself a diag lead system for it, as I can see it being useful..
    Originally posted by Sirbendy
    04 Zafira A.
  • Davidsb
    Ford Focus '02 1.6 Ghia warning light
    I replaced the n/s dipped headlight, which required removal of the battery.

A couple of days afterwards, the engine management system warning light came on - DTC 9318 (battery voltage low). I re-fitted the battery, which cured the problem - for a week or so, then the warning light illuminated again - same code. Once again, I disconnected and reconnected the battery - same result, the light went out, and reappeared a week later.

This has now happened four times - is there a re-set button or something which I need to press to stop this happening?
  • goldspanners

A couple of days afterwards, the engine management system warning light came on - DTC 9318 (battery voltage low). I re-fitted the battery, which cured the problem - for a week or so, then the warning light illuminated again - same code. Once again, I disconnected and reconnected the battery - same result, the light went out, and reappeared a week later.

This has now happened four times - is there a re-set button or something which I need to press to stop this happening?
    Originally posted by Davidsb
    possibly a broken earth lead or a bad connection at the battery?
    ...work permit granted!
  • maniac886

Originally posted by Davidsb

It could be possible that the alternator is on its way out.
    "He's a maniac, maniac that's for sure,
    He will kill your cat and nail him to the door"
    Murphys No More Pies Club Member #95
    • sandycheeks
    • By sandycheeks 30th Sep 09, 3:59 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 4,131 Thanks
    sandycheeks
    My warning light on my Forc Focus Cmax TCDi intermittantly comes on and occasionally a plume of smoke will come out - shouls I be worried (it's an 04)
  • bobsuruncle44
    same ford focus engine light problem
    [QUOTE=gardnose;7620577]Just found this top tip on another forum.
    There's an inbuilt 'dashboard diagnostics self test' system, which displays error codes (at least it does on my Ford Focus 1.6, X reg).

thanks gardnose. my 51 ford focus 1.6 zetec had the same error codes as yours. i know my odometer is temporamental anyway as the revs stay where they are but the odometer and speed don't move/stay at zero.

Typical ford and these models. the faulty odometer has been on watchdog before. apparently you can either pay ford 400 to replace the circuit on the dash or take the dials out yourself and spray the board with wd40. i'll do neither. On a bad note, no one will know the true mieage when its sold
  • harveybobbles
    Paid 28 to get rid of INSP warning , but the mechanic said that the INSP would come back again in 12 months or so,
    Originally posted by Dunkyboy
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INSP just means it is due foir a servuice. So yes, of bleeding course it'll come back on in 12 months time! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
  • harveybobbles
    My warning light on my Forc Focus Cmax TCDi intermittantly comes on and occasionally a plume of smoke will come out - shouls I be worried (it's an 04)
    Originally posted by sandycheeks
    Probably be the EGR valve clogged up with soot.
  • hamario
    [QUOTE=bobsuruncle44;27668213]
    Just found this top tip on another forum.
    There's an inbuilt 'dashboard diagnostics self test' system, which displays error codes (at least it does on my Ford Focus 1.6, X reg).

thanks gardnose. my 51 ford focus 1.6 zetec had the same error codes as yours. i know my odometer is temporamental anyway as the revs stay where they are but the odometer and speed don't move/stay at zero.

Typical ford and these models. the faulty odometer has been on watchdog before. apparently you can either pay ford 400 to replace the circuit on the dash or take the dials out yourself and spray the board with wd40. i'll do neither. On a bad note, no one will know the true mieage when its sold
    Originally posted by gardnose
    I bought my 03 1.6 Zetec Focus last week, it has 49000 on the clock but the odometer only shows 9000. Nothing wrong with the odometer though from what I can see.

My engine warning light came on yesterday, so I called up Ford near my work in Speke and they said it'd cost me 66 just to have the diagnosis machine hooked up to my car, and they'd need half a day.

Thinking of investing in a device of my own after hearing those charges
  • Rolandtheroadie
    [QUOTE=hamario;27896575]

I bought my 03 1.6 Zetec Focus last week, it has 49000 on the clock but the odometer only shows 9000. Nothing wrong with the odometer though from what I can see.

My engine warning light came on yesterday, so I called up Ford near my work in Speke and they said it'd cost me 66 just to have the diagnosis machine hooked up to my car, and they'd need half a day.

Thinking of investing in a device of my own after hearing those charges
    Originally posted by bobsuruncle44
    Join a yahoo group. A Ford one first then if you can get a decent Focus one, that too.
    Pre 2000 vauxhalls only need a paperclip to diagnose faults. Every car has it's quirks, you might not need a fault code reader at all ( I bought one for a rover 800 once, it could tell you what was wrong without it).
    The yahoo forums will also have helpful tips and advice on component testing.
  • cramo13
    i agree why do you pay 1.25 per litre for fuel and dont do owt about it, but moan when us time trained mechanics charge you less than the dealer!and definitely less than !other trade professionals,we spend all our lifes buying expensive tools to repair your car!but everyone wans it for nowt!try saying it when your in asda doing you shopping!guessnot!!!
  • Tigsteroonie
    i agree why do you pay 1.25 per litre for fuel and dont do owt about it, but moan when us time trained mechanics charge you less than the dealer!and definitely less than !other trade professionals,we spend all our lifes buying expensive tools to repair your car!but everyone wans it for nowt!try saying it when your in asda doing you shopping!guessnot!!!
    Originally posted by cramo13
    Bumping an old (2009) thread for any reason, Cramo?
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Mum to an Au-some little boy
  • russthemink
    i really hate this when people think 50 for a time served mechanic using expensive equiptment to diagnose faults is charging through the nose.

what does your company charge for your services for an hour?

if you got a joiner or plumber in to do some work in your house i would bet you would be paying more than 50 per hour.

why do people hate to pay for thier cars to be fixed but dont mind being ripped off by an electrician or the likes?
    Originally posted by goldspanners

Because any fool can plug in a box and press TEST
  • goldspanners
    Because any fool can plug in a box and press TEST
    Originally posted by russthemink
    but can any fool remedy the fault the box finds?

if so then buy yourself a box and become "any fool".

any fool can join 2 pipes together,any fool can sand a door or fit a kitchen,any fool can wire up a light. but people still employ plumbers,joiners and electricians and don't question thier prices which are usually hourly rates similar to a mechanic. but the joiners and plumbers don't need to invest thousands of pounds in diagnostic equipment with all the regular (costly) software updates and thier tool box is much less comprehensive than a mechanics.

i have a tool chest and a roll cabinet and 2 smaller boxes full of tools totalling about 3000 (and diagnostic equiptment worth around 2000,supplied by company)
    my mate is a self employed plumber/heating engineer and he only has 2 small tool boxes with fairly cheap tools,probably totalling 200 tops and no diagnostic equiptment other than a tin of leak detector spray and a multi meter.
    ...work permit granted!
  • jonnywoods
    Just found this top tip on another forum.

- Hold down the 'trip/distance' reset button on the dashboard, and then switch the ignition on.
    - The needles/dials on the dashboard will spin once, and then the trip distance display will say '6a6e'.
    - Keep pressing the reset button, and some tests on the dashboard will display, eg all the bulbs will light up, and the petrol gauge needle will spin.
    - Eventually, the display will read DTC and some codes (if your engine light is on). Mine read DTC, then d123 and d041. These meant that the engine wasn't receiving any speed or odometer variables/information.

That would have cost at least 50 for an engine diagnostics test at my local charge-through-the-nose garage, before doing any work at all!
    Originally posted by gardnose

I tried this out as my engine warning light is staying on and got code after code but never got anything which said DTC. Does anyone know what this means? If it helps (and I have no idea if does) the codes were as follows:

The test starts with 9a9E, then.... led5, r31, e001, FFFF, none, 00E.o, 0000, 012.t, F215, L240, 49F.F, 039C, 076.C, 000.0, CHE.2, 610.9, Ab-l, Eb-l, Il-l, 0800, 0500, Cr-H, 0-02, 1-1C, 2-00, 3-90, 4-??, 5-00, 6-00, 8-??, 9-??, 0154, 1129, 2171, 3000, 4255, P117, P2FF, P3FF, P4FF.

Then back to 9a9E which I assume means test over!

Only 2 weeks ago my car was misfiring so I had new plugs fitted etc, and it passed the MOT last week no problem.

Can anyone help?
  • woowoley
    Does it come with software?
  • adriandilly
    I tried this out as my engine warning light is staying on and got code after code but never got anything which said DTC. Does anyone know what this means? If it helps (and I have no idea if does) the codes were as follows:

The test starts with 9a9E, then.... led5, r31, e001, FFFF, none, 00E.o, 0000, 012.t, F215, L240, 49F.F, 039C, 076.C, 000.0, CHE.2, 610.9, Ab-l, Eb-l, Il-l, 0800, 0500, Cr-H, 0-02, 1-1C, 2-00, 3-90, 4-??, 5-00, 6-00, 8-??, 9-??, 0154, 1129, 2171, 3000, 4255, P117, P2FF, P3FF, P4FF.

Then back to 9a9E which I assume means test over!

Only 2 weeks ago my car was misfiring so I had new plugs fitted etc, and it passed the MOT last week no problem.

Can anyone help?
    Originally posted by jonnywoods
    The 6th one you put ("none") means no DTCs are logged.."none" should alternate with "dTc" when you're on it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,123Posts Today

8,954Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks to @CBBC_Hacker for sending us our own Hacker, baby MSE is smitten. Altight cocker. http://t.co/mdVVz56YHD

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• Follow Martin