PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

help needed New years eve food and games

Options
Hi

We are thinking about having a NYE dinner party for up to 6-8 friends, we have never had one before and ideally would be looking for a 3-4 course menu which will cook itself on the night (with prep in the day or days before) and that will look and taste good. I have also got my gf a choc fountain for xmas so could use that for desert.

All are friends are in their twenties, not sure if any of them have been to a dinner party before so we would also like to do some posh and snazzy invites (champagne reception etc) to try to convince them to come rather than go to the pub etc!

We have 4 bottles of champange and lots of good wine that we have been given from work over the last year so we will not need to buy drinks (I am sure one of the most expensive parts of a NYE party!). Apart from eat is there anything else we could or should do?

Thanks
Ian

Comments

• ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    Background music?

What kind of thing are you after foodwise?

You do do a nice coq au vin or similar which is a great main course and can be prepared in advance

Some whisky for the bells?
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • iian
    iian Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Background music how did I not think of that!

Chicken is probably best as my gf is not overly keen on red meat, I have never cooked coq au vin before.

Should you let the guests know the menu in advance?
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    Hi Ian,

If you're looking for 3/4 courses, could you let us know what to exclude?

So if you're not keen on fish or anything?

Then we can have a think?
  • ckerrd
    Options
    Should you let the guests know the menu in advance?

Only if they have particular dietry issues otherwise I wouldn't, and don't, bother
  • JoeyEmma
    Options
    I am doing the same. We are all aged between 22 and 27

For starters we are having croustini with various toppings
    Chicken liver pate- already made and in the freezer, livers cost about £1.50 from the butcher
    Tapenade- jar of black olive paste already bought from Netto for 39p
    Another one- not decided yet, might have a look through the Nigella section of croustini

Main course will be a couple of small chicken which have been jointed by the butcher. I'll probably roast them with whole mushrooms, whole shallots and white wine, so that they make their own sauce and I don't have to do extra veg, plus it will only dirty one big roasting pan. I'll serve it with some garlic and rosemary roast potatoes.

Dessert, I've already made a lemon tart and thats in the freezer, and we might have either chocolate mousse or some fruit.

I sent out invites from evite.com and there is a bit the invites where guests can select what to bring. I put all the booze on that.

All I have to do on the night is put some pates on slices of bread, peel some veg and chop some spuds. Plus there will only be two roasting pans to wash up and no saucepans.
  • ckerrd
    Options
    sounds very tasty.. We are having people over I just realised and will need to think of something to cook. One is a fish eating veggie, another a non-fish eating veggie and another - well depends how much wine has been drunk!
  • luckylukey
    Options
    If you want to send physical invitations, get some black thin card , a gold pen and some sequins.

Write the venue details and dress code and time and then randomly stick the sequins onto the card. It looks beautiful.

No need to tell them the menu - just the time, venue and dress code
  • ladydriva
    Options
    hiyas were having a small new years eve party at our house for family, was wanting to make simple party food, goin to buy some of the ready made things in the supermarket for ease but was wonderin if anyone had any ideas what i could make that was simple and could do beforehand, goin to make homemade sausage rolls, was wanting some ideas for posh!! sandwich type things,, every1 comin are pretty old fashioned people,, egg sarnies etc etc.

thanx
  • Toxic_Lemon
    Options
    If it's old fashioned you want, how about making some vol-au-vents? Have cream cheese with smoked salmon fillings, egg mayo, prawns and avocado, chicken and mushroom. Cucumber sandwiches (no crusts ;)); chicken goujons (sliced breast dipped in egg and homemade seasoned breadcrumbs and baked) with dips; fish goujons; blinis (mini pancakes) with fillings listed for vol-au-vents; devilled eggs (hard-boiled, with egg yolk scooped out and mashed with cheese and mayo and piled back in).
    TL
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget the old stand-bys - cheese & pineapple cubes on cocktail sticks, cheese & pickled onion ditto, Ritz crackers with a swirl of Primula cheese, mini pizza squares, sliced French stick with butter and a variety of cheeses.

Will keep thinking...
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family