When will my MOT be due?

Options
I know once cars get 3 years old they need an MOT, mine will be 3 years old in the middle of this month, when will my actual MOT be due?

Cheers.
2p off is still 2p off!

Comments

• poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i think its 3 years from date of registration
  • joshm_2
    joshm_2 Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    From DVLA:

If a vehicle is registered with no prior use on the road, the MOT will be required three years after the date of registration. For example, a vehicle registered ‘from new’ on 1 April 2004 will require its MOT no later than 1 April 2007.

If a vehicle is used prior to registration, as would be the case with an import, the MOT will be required three years from the end of the year of manufacture. For example a vehicle manufactured at any time in 2004 will require an MOT no later than 31 December 2007. There is no grace period given after these dates.
  • fatboyonadiet
    Options
    Ok, I think the car was registered on the 14th Dec so I need to get one before then?
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • flutterbyuk25
    Options
    if it was registered 14 Dec 2004 then it needs one by 14 Dec 2007 to be legal
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, I think the car was registered on the 14th Dec so I need to get one before then?

So do it ASAP as you can do it 30 days before.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    You should go now and take your V5 along with you (just to be sure they get the right date).

It will run from the 14th Dec if you take it in any time between now and 14th. So you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by getting it done ASAP.
  • fatboyonadiet
    Options
    The earliest I can get it booked in with the nearest run council test centre is 27th December - will I get in trouble for leaving it so late after?
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The earliest I can get it booked in with the nearest run council test centre is 27th December - will I get in trouble for leaving it so late after?

You will be driving it illegally for two weeks without a valid MOT certificate.

:eek:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes. Big trouble.
    If you cannot get a date before/on the correct date, the car cannot be used on the public highway until its MoT date.

On that date, with the MoT booked in, you may drive it straight to the MoT testing station - nowhere else. No dropping people off on the way, or stopping off to do the shopping. straight there.

If it fails, the ONLY place you can then drive it is straight home, or directly to another garage where you have pre-arranged to have it fixed. e.g. if it failed on tyre tread and you wanted to go to some tyre depots to get the tyres cheaper than the MoT garage offer, then you would NOT be allowed to drive it around them all finding out the best price. But you could phone them all first and then advise one you were on your way.

Without a valid MoT your car is not insured.
    You would be prosecuted if caught.
  • fatboyonadiet
    Options
    Managed to get it booked in with the Bury Council MOT test centre, Oldham would have been better as it's nearer and cheaper but they couldn't fit me in until after the due date :(
    2p off is still 2p off!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport