Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Letter from "Red Debt Collection Services&qu... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Letter from "Red Debt Collection Services" - I'm convinced it's not mine!
Closed Thread
Views: 70,233
# 1
MikkyX
Old 30-11-2007, 11:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Letter from "Red Debt Collection Services" - I'm convinced it's not mine!

Hi all,
First post, be gentle

I received a letter last week from a company called Red Debt Collection Services stating they were collecting on a debt of 200 to HSBC. There were just two problems with this:

1) Although the letter had my name and address on it, the middle initial was wrong. Fiddly, I know, but I thought it was significant considering........

2) ........I've never owed HSBC a penny

Upon receiving the letter I phoned the CCCS (currently going through a debt management plan with them) and asked their advice. They suggested that the letter was probably sent to me by mistake as if a company is having trouble tracking down a person who owes them money, they just spam letters to everyone they can find who sounds vaguely similar. I should ring the agency and explain this. So I did and got a helpful sounding girl to talk to, and they agreed to retrace, see if they'd got the wrong man (they have!).

Today I got another letter from them so I rang up and queried how the trace was going. I got a much less helpful guy who told me that since I'd verified my name, address and date of birth (all of which apparently match their records) the debt was definitely mine and I should pay up. No acknowledgement of any trace. Then the knockout punch (for them) - he said the debt was outstanding on a HSBC current account. I've banked with Barclays and now NatWest but NEVER HSBC. I told him this - he acted like it was irrelevant - still my debt.

The conversation went round in circles, got a little heated, and ended with him saying I would have to prove I wasn't the person who owed the debt by sending them a copy of my passport and a letter with my signature on so that they could match it to the original documents, and me demanding THEY prove I'm liable for the debt before things proceed any further. Which they won't be able to do since I've had no dealings with HSBC..... I'm thinking of ringing HSBC to ask them what's going on.

Before I proceed I wondered what advice people here had for me as to where to go next - should I send the proof of ID they're asking for or leave the onus on them to provide the proof *I* requested?
The Following User Says Thank You to MikkyX For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
tallyhoh
Old 30-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Someone will be along soon to put you right BUT in the meantime don't send them anything, 'specially not copy of passport or signature, companies have been known just to copy your signature onto documents to try & prove you signed for something.
If they are saying they want to compare your signature, ask them for copies of the agreement/paperwork they hold. There is a template letter for this.
Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved 14,040 so far!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tallyhoh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
rog2
Old 30-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

SEND THEM NOTHING AND DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO THEM

A Debt Collection Agency is legally obliged to send you full details of any alleged debt, including a full statement, which they say that you 'owe'.
It looks as though Red are 'Phishing' and that this 'letter' is no more than a 'scam'.
By confirming your name and address you have admitted to nothing.
The onus of proof is on Red Debt Collection to prove that you are in fact the debtor and not on you to prove otherwise.
Have a look at the following:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...dit/oft664.pdf
I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rog2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
GeorgeUK
Old 01-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Totally agree with Rog

You do not need to prove anything. If you provide them a copy of your signature there's a chance that your signature will appear at the bottom of some credit agreement you have never seen.
After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): 33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: 7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k Savings & Inv Tst: 2,500
Loan 10k: 0 Dad 5.5k: 2,270 LTSB: 0 RBS: 0 Virgin 0 Egg 0

Total Owed: 2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeorgeUK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
MikkyX
Old 01-12-2007, 12:33 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Had a feeling things might be that way round. Thanks guys - I will call Red again tomorrow to remind them of their legal obligations.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikkyX For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
theunknownstuntman
Old 01-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good hunting tomorrow MikkyX, great advice off the guys.
I am one of the 63336.
His Grace Lord Stunty the Coherent of Deep Throcking

'It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep.'
The Following User Says Thank You to theunknownstuntman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Bunnyinthelights
Old 01-12-2007, 7:50 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bunnyinthelights

Total con artists...trying it on
Idiots, them, not you!
Empty pockets never held anyone back, only empty heads and empty hearts can do that -Peale
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunnyinthelights For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
RAS
Old 01-12-2007, 1:10 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkyX View Post
Had a feeling things might be that way round. Thanks guys - I will call Red again tomorrow to remind them of their legal obligations.

Hi - You need to write to them. That way when they cannot find the documentation, you can tell them to bogoff and that if they ever contact you again, you will make a formal complaint (actually they are committing and offence but getting anyone to take them to court is difficult).

If you just phone, this will keep going. As you have discovered it depends entirely who you speak to and they are not consistent in their behaviour.

Send the letter rog directed you to, above, recorded delievey.
The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RAS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
inmypocketnottheirs
Old 01-12-2007, 1:22 PM

Definately do not call these imbeciles. No doubt it is a premium rate 0870 number or something similar. Write, keep copies and send recorded delivery. Clip the royal mail receipt to your copy and a few days after posting download the delivery acknowledgement from the RM website.
Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inmypocketnottheirs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
greyteam1959
Old 01-12-2007, 1:30 PM

yep I bet its an 0870 number...as the OP says forget telephone calls.
inmypocketnottheirs has it right on the button do as he / she suggests........
then forget all about
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyteam1959 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Paul Varjak
Old 14-01-2008, 3:27 PM

Quote:
I got a much less helpful guy who told me that since I'd verified my name, address and date of birth (all of which apparently match their records) the debt was definitely mine and I should pay up.
So, now you have told them your name, address, date of birth and, no doubt, your phone number as well!

Did you bank with Midland 20 years ago? Red Debt has been known to buy 20 year-old debts!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Varjak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
rog2
Old 14-01-2008, 3:34 PM

Quote:
The conversation went round in circles, got a little heated, and ended with him saying I would have to prove I wasn't the person who owed the debt by sending them a copy of my passport and a letter with my signature on so that they could match it to the original documents, and me demanding THEY prove I'm liable for the debt before things proceed any further. Which they won't be able to do since I've had no dealings with HSBC.....
Do NOT send them anything. As I have previously stated - it is up to Red Debt to provide you with proof of any alleged debt - not the other way round.
Once they have given you this information, we can best advise on how to deal with it.
I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

# 13
stapeley
Old 14-01-2008, 4:14 PM

Prime example why you should never phone these people! If an doubt just hit them with a CCA request . good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to stapeley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Kevicho
Old 14-01-2008, 4:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to Kevicho

I second Rog, keep a copy of the letter, but leave it to them to make further contact.

If they call you state that you only want to receive any form of contact in writing, and tell them this is a legal right, otherwise you will report them for harassment.

Also state you will be expecting £10 in compensation for telephone calls made, and also for stress due to this unsolicited post, otherwise you will be reporting them to the OFT for fraud, and say, as in my opinion, they are attempting to defraud you of money by post.

Finally if any letters do arrive, put back in the post saying not at this address, as technically this is true as they have a different initial for your name.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevicho For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
fatbelly
Old 14-01-2008, 9:10 PM

Red is part of the Lowell group, I think, and they are members of the Credit Services Association, who say their members abide by the OFT Debt Collection Guidance

http://www.csa-uk.com/csa/members-list.php

I think it might be worth a complaint to both the csa and the OFT. Strange how they agreed the date of birth matched their record even though they got your middle initial wrong. Get them to show you the signed agreement!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatbelly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
angiegofton
Old 27-01-2008, 12:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

my husband too has had a letter out of the blue from red debt. it said he owed 1434.66 to barclaycard. my husband did have barclaycard along time ago paid in full. red said this debt is from 1996, we said we were contesting this debt, then recieved another letter saying barclaycard would accept 717.16. we still are contesting this debt. is it right after 6 years if not contested, the debt is dead
The Following User Says Thank You to angiegofton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
fermi
Old 27-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiegofton View Post
my husband too has had a letter out of the blue from red debt. it said he owed 1434.66 to barclaycard. my husband did have barclaycard along time ago paid in full. red said this debt is from 1996, we said we were contesting this debt, then recieved another letter saying barclaycard would accept 717.16. we still are contesting this debt. is it right after 6 years if not contested, the debt is dead
Have a read through the National Debtline factsheet on this. Link below.

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/en...limitation_act
I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards, Loans, and Benefits boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com | > New to Forum? Click for Guide <

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fermi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
karen.r
Old 29-03-2008, 1:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

fermi wrote...
Have a read through the National Debtline factsheet on this. Link below.

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/en...limitation_act

I had a letter today from the same debt collection service & found this website very helpful. I rang the number & spoke to someone who is sending me details of what I need to do about it. I have never been in debt & it looks like I am the victim of identity theft.
The Following User Says Thank You to karen.r For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
rog2
Old 29-03-2008, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen.r View Post
I had a letter today from the same debt collection service & found this website very helpful. I rang the number & spoke to someone who is sending me details of what I need to do about it. I have never been in debt & it looks like I am the victim of identity theft.
Hi karen - I am pleased that you found the NDL information of use.
I'm just confused about one point, though - perhaps I have misread your post, so could you please clarify. Is it 'Red'/'Lowell' who are sending you information about 'identity fraud' or National Debtline.
If National Debtline - fine.
If Red/Lowell - then please do not get involved. This could be a trick to ensnare you into admitting a 'debt' which is not yours.
Problems of 'Identity Fraud' should only be dealt with between you, the original creditor (NOT A DCA) and the Police. Any of the Debt Counselling Charities will be pleased to advise.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rog2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
karen.r
Old 29-03-2008, 1:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

It's National Debtline who suspect identity theft, not Red. Thanks for the concern. I will make sure I don't send Red any information because I don't intend to pay anybody elses debts for them, I have enough of my own bills to pay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karen.r For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread