Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MikkyX
    Letter from "Red Debt Collection Services" - I'm convinced it's not mine!
    • 30th Nov 07, 11:22 PM
    Letter from "Red Debt Collection Services" - I'm convinced it's not mine! 30th Nov 07 at 11:22 PM
    Hi all,
    First post, be gentle

I received a letter last week from a company called Red Debt Collection Services stating they were collecting on a debt of 200 to HSBC. There were just two problems with this:

1) Although the letter had my name and address on it, the middle initial was wrong. Fiddly, I know, but I thought it was significant considering........

2) ........I've never owed HSBC a penny

Upon receiving the letter I phoned the CCCS (currently going through a debt management plan with them) and asked their advice. They suggested that the letter was probably sent to me by mistake as if a company is having trouble tracking down a person who owes them money, they just spam letters to everyone they can find who sounds vaguely similar. I should ring the agency and explain this. So I did and got a helpful sounding girl to talk to, and they agreed to retrace, see if they'd got the wrong man (they have!).

Today I got another letter from them so I rang up and queried how the trace was going. I got a much less helpful guy who told me that since I'd verified my name, address and date of birth (all of which apparently match their records) the debt was definitely mine and I should pay up. No acknowledgement of any trace. Then the knockout punch (for them) - he said the debt was outstanding on a HSBC current account. I've banked with Barclays and now NatWest but NEVER HSBC. I told him this - he acted like it was irrelevant - still my debt.

The conversation went round in circles, got a little heated, and ended with him saying I would have to prove I wasn't the person who owed the debt by sending them a copy of my passport and a letter with my signature on so that they could match it to the original documents, and me demanding THEY prove I'm liable for the debt before things proceed any further. Which they won't be able to do since I've had no dealings with HSBC..... I'm thinking of ringing HSBC to ask them what's going on.

Before I proceed I wondered what advice people here had for me as to where to go next - should I send the proof of ID they're asking for or leave the onus on them to provide the proof *I* requested?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,422Posts Today

7,783Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks to @CBBC_Hacker for sending us our own Hacker, baby MSE is smitten. Altight cocker. http://t.co/mdVVz56YHD

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• Follow Martin