Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > BE SIMON COWELL!! : Earn cash from rating new mus... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
BE SIMON COWELL!! : Earn cash from rating new music
Closed Thread
Views: 52,394
# 1
sarymclary
Old 07-11-2007, 7:00 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to sarymclary Send a message via Yahoo to sarymclary
Default BE SIMON COWELL!! : Earn cash from rating new music

Hi,
I don't believe this has been mentioned before, so thought it might be worth putting a new thread in.

Got a bit of spare time? Like new music of ALL genres?

I was approached via my MySpace page to join this new(ish) venture, which basically lets you earn cash for listening, and rating songs by unsigned bands. I'm actually interested in new music, love listening out for new bands, and have a wide ranging taste in music, so this suits me as a bit of a hobby/past-time.

The aim of the site is to help bands raise cash to fund recording their first album, and lets 'fans' invest in them to help do that. Scouts can even put some money into a band if they think they might do well, and can earn money from their success.

Here's an excerpt from their website :

www.slicethepie.com

Slicethepie turns every music fan into a record label. Earn money right now scouting for new talent, support your favourite bands by voting in Showcases and finance artists you think will be successful. Over time trade in and out of artists to build your own portfolio and make money in the process.

You begin by being a 1 star rated Scout, and the theory is that the more bands you listen to and rate, the higher your Scout Rating, and the more cash you earn per listen and rate. It starts at 5p per listen, and you have to listen to a minimum of 60 seconds of each track before you can rate them. I spent a couple of hours doing this, rather than watching boring TV, rated 34 songs and earnt myself £1.90; I'm already up to a 2 start rated scout which now earns me 10p per rated track. The higher your rating the more you earn per reviewed track.

I thought it was worth a dabble, and was quite interesting - there is some great music on there, but OMG there was some bad stuff too! I soon slipped into Simon Cowell mode and didn't feel any qualms at being totally honest with my scathing comments - like don't give up your day job!
One day the clocks will stop, and time won't mean a thing

Be nice to your children, they'll choose your care home

Last edited by sarymclary; 14-11-2007 at 6:48 PM. Reason: updating info
The Following 53 Users Say Thank You to sarymclary For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
lapat
Old 07-11-2007, 7:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

www.slicethepie.com
need to have a lightbulb moment
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lapat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
jessicann
Old 07-11-2007, 7:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

This is great fun! Thank you! I love music so this is an ideal way to find out about new artists. I have earnt 5p already! Haha! How do they pay? Through PayPal? Thanks again for posting this!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jessicann For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
tpsaver
Old 07-11-2007, 8:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicann View Post
How do they pay? Through PayPal?
Read their FAQ, it says that the money you earn goes into your slicethepye account, which looks to me like you can only spend your earnings on their site, ie investing in bands. No mention of paypal or any other payment methods at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tpsaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
KizzyK
Old 07-11-2007, 8:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Is all payment processing secure?
Yes, all payment processing is carried out through our payment processing partner Datacash. Datacash is a major public company and a world leader in secure online payment processing.
Good post sarymclary
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KizzyK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jessicann
Old 07-11-2007, 8:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I did read their FAQ. But on my 'Account Settings' however, it says 'Withdrawal (PayPal)'. So I think you can use PayPal? :confused:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jessicann For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
tpsaver
Old 07-11-2007, 8:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sorry, my mistake, that was just my interpretation of the FAQ. They aught to make their FAQ more clear.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tpsaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
jessicann
Old 07-11-2007, 8:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I agree! But other than that's it's great!
# 9
Lillibet
Old 07-11-2007, 9:34 PM

OK, I signed up to this earlier this evening & had it playing in a 2nd window whilst inputting my MS results, I managed to review 14 tracks & earn 70p whilst doing something else at the same time! To be honest most of the tracks seemed mediocre but there were a couple of interesting ones. So far nothing I would want to rush out & buy though.

Anyone know how many we have to review to get up to the next level?
Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillibet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
tomstickland
Old 07-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've just joined and love it. I'm doing the decent thing and listening to the whole track before passing comment. I'm more into electronic music, but I've enough to entertain me so far. The first track was a bit of a dull singer songwriter thing, but the 2nd had me smiling and thinking "John Peel would like it".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomstickland For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
lapat
Old 07-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i have been a member for some time and its only the post tonight that resumed my interest.....there was a grest song on froma guy called neville k called layed my body down i give him 5 star
need to have a lightbulb moment
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lapat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
silkysmooth69
Old 07-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

how do u rate them and how much do u get plzzz
:confused:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silkysmooth69 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
tomstickland
Old 07-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've gone though about 20 tracks now. Two have stood out as worthy of listening to again
The Phoenix Band - remind of Spiritualized (Electric Mainline)
http://www.myspace.com/thephoenixband
and
http://www.myspace.com/nancycartonio listen to Birthday & Anticipated Blues
I must be doing something right because I rated both her tracks so far, without realising it was the same artist.

There's far too many us-teen-angst-rock style songs, and it's usually the words that really ruin otherwise OK tracks.

The website isn't too hot - if I want to add a band to the watchlist I have to leave the scouting room, then return to the scouting room, but using back on the browser doesn't work, so I have to enter from the main page again.

What are tips?

Last edited by tomstickland; 07-11-2007 at 11:38 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomstickland For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Smickan
Old 08-11-2007, 1:23 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkysmooth69 View Post
how do u rate them and how much do u get plzzz
5p to start with, it goes up to 25p per track as you go along - it's all dependant on how good your reviews are, how detailed etc - and how many you do.

You can withdraw to paypal - but you have to have earnt at least 5 before you can.

HTH.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smickan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
f1re_cr4cker
Old 08-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

what are tips?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f1re_cr4cker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Bangerchick
Old 08-11-2007, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm having problems activating my account, it keeps saying invalid registration code :rolleyes:
The Following User Says Thank You to Bangerchick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
siren13577
Old 08-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks to Op for this, I'm always looking for a way to make a bit extra, seems a good site and I like music so it ticks all boxes, it's a pity you can't seem to refer people. Thanks and happy rating!
:

Siren

Keep Smiling

Eight words ye Wiccan Rede fulfill - An it harm none, Do what ye will.

# 18
jessicann
Old 08-11-2007, 11:47 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangerchick View Post
I'm having problems activating my account, it keeps saying invalid registration code :rolleyes:
I had this problem. I had to delete the space I was leaving after the registration code (as in it was the registration number then a space) as I was copying and pasting it from my email. Try that.
# 19
culpepper
Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 PM

Thanks just joined and reviewed a few. It is much better than songpeople which I tried previously(songpeople are non paying but add you to their prize draw thing.) I cant see how you read the tip once you have one.It says 1 tip available but is not clickable. Anyone know what that is?
# 20
chloe1705
Old 08-11-2007, 12:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have the same problem with the tips i have 2 available but click on tips it says none available
Good Luck and happy 2014 Everyone
Closed Thread