Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 5th Nov 07, 7:29 PM
    • 8,913 Posts
    • 13,601 Thanks
    trisontana
    • 5th Nov 07, 7:29 PM
    • 5th Nov 07, 7:29 PM
    Have you got pet insurance with E & L insurance , or a similar company? If you do then they automatically make this donation unless you tell them otherwise.
    Last edited by trisontana; 05-11-2007 at 8:18 PM.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
    • tomwakefield
    • By tomwakefield 5th Nov 07, 7:30 PM
    • 7,210 Posts
    • 9,572 Thanks
    tomwakefield
    • 5th Nov 07, 7:30 PM
    • 5th Nov 07, 7:30 PM
    This might help

Puppy bites your account

Ms C.H. writes: I checked my bank statement and found a direct debit I had not authorised. Don't laugh, but it was for only £1. But it might be £100 next month. My bank said the payment went to Miss A. Sykes at The Animal Society Ltd in York. My bank wrote to her, but did not receive a reply.

THE Animal Society Ltd does exist, though Companies House says it is dormant and nobody named Sykes is an officer. I invited director Christopher Griffin to comment, but a reply arrived from Philip Judd of Equine & Livestock Insurance, which sells pet policies.
    He told me that you recently bought a puppy and the breeder offered 16 weeks' free insurance, plus information on the National Pet Register. This is a lost-and-found service and registering a pet costs, yes, £1.
    None of this explained how someone named Sykes from a company called The Animal Society got hold of your bank details.
    Judd then told me that Ms Sykes was his predecessor at the insurance company and he had never updated this. He added: 'The Animal Society Ltd encompasses the National Pet Register, which is administered by Equine & Livestock Insurance'
    You did agree to join the register, but nobody mentioned the Animal Society, which is why the direct debit was a puzzle. It all seems hugely complicated for the sake of £1, which has now been refunded to you.
    • ManAtHome
    • By ManAtHome 5th Nov 07, 7:31 PM
    • 8,139 Posts
    • 5,275 Thanks
    ManAtHome
    • 5th Nov 07, 7:31 PM
    • 5th Nov 07, 7:31 PM
    They exist http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/a9f1be1914e7a98ad1b8938886d9694a/compdetails - dunno whether it's a scam though...
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 5th Nov 07, 8:15 PM
    • 8,913 Posts
    • 13,601 Thanks
    trisontana
    • 5th Nov 07, 8:15 PM
    • 5th Nov 07, 8:15 PM
    As per my first post :- E&L = Equine & Livestock Insurance.
    Last edited by trisontana; 05-11-2007 at 8:18 PM.
  • BISKIT
    • 6th Nov 07, 8:22 PM
    • 6th Nov 07, 8:22 PM
    Thanks for that.I do have policies with E+L insurance.I will ring them to see what it is for although i cant remember it being mentioned by them.If it is a donation then surely they are a charity though?I dont mind being charitable but i prefer to choose who i give my money to!
    • MeanMachine
    • By MeanMachine 20th Nov 07, 10:51 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MeanMachine
    • 20th Nov 07, 10:51 PM
    • 20th Nov 07, 10:51 PM
    Me too! Jusst found 5 debits in one month for either 47p or 94 p !! Have informed bank and will totally stop all pet insurance I have with E&L. Have they done anything illegal , do we know ??
    • MeanMachine
    • By MeanMachine 21st Nov 07, 10:03 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MeanMachine
    • 21st Nov 07, 10:03 AM
    Cancelled policies
    • 21st Nov 07, 10:03 AM
    I've just cancelled my E&L policies, I think they are an immoral company.
  • tartan lady
    • 21st Oct 08, 2:05 PM
    • 21st Oct 08, 2:05 PM
    I just found this out too and immediately cancelled it I spoke to the company which is actually e&L insurance and they have agreed to refund me the amounts they have taken for the past THREE years without my knowledge. warning to all to check your statements
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 21st Oct 08, 4:46 PM
    • 15,155 Posts
    • 10,952 Thanks
    hollydays
    tartan lady-you badly need to become an mse er-it will save you loads!
  • ktebailey
    What does E&L say about this
    I too appear to have been paying £6.98 a month to this animal society and I too have an E&L policy. I had presumed my husband had signed us up to support this charity (we do support several other animal charities) but as it turns out he hadn't.

Does anyone know what E&L's response is??? I hadn't given them permission to do this and had ensured they weren't passing on my details to third parties.........I don't see how this is legal.......:confused:
    • dava1234
    • By dava1234 10th Aug 09, 10:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dava1234
    Animal Society Ltd = I got a letter stating that the second year pet insurance from E&I was almost doubling, when I talked to them on the phone they stated that this was price increase was to join their 'Premium Club' membership which I hadn't requested. I managed to get them to hold the previous years price. The next thing I know a direct debit for 94p is going out of my account to 'Animal Society Ltd'.

This all sounds very dodgy to me, lots of forums stating their lack of payment when it comes to making a claim for ill pets too. I am getting in touch with Consumer Direct consumerdirect.gov.uk 08454 04 05 06 (trading standards) I would suggest that anyone else who has had a similar experience does the same. I cannot see how this is Legal.
  • Dougal77
    The Animal Society
    I have just had this happen to me today too - a DD set up for 94p to the Animal Society Ltd which went out on the same date as my E&L policy. I googled them and found loads of blogs all reporting the same scam.

I called E&L to check and spoke to a rather smug lady who said I had apparently given them permission to set up this DD. I asked her to prove when they had contacted me and what documents I had signed to authorise them to set up this DD - and she said they didn't need my authorisation to do this. I find that hard to believe but can you imagine how many thousands of customers they are doing this to and the amount of money they will be raking in - which I bet does not go towards helping any animals. I have cancelled my E&L policy asap as well as this DD - my bank have opened up a fraud investigation and I may have to change my bank account if they keep taking money out!! It is really dodgy!
  • Colliefrog
    I thought you could just cancel a direct debit at any time? No need to close the bank account?
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 21st Aug 09, 8:36 PM
    • 8,913 Posts
    • 13,601 Thanks
    trisontana
    I thought you could just cancel a direct debit at any time? No need to close the bank account?
    Originally posted by Colliefrog
    That's what I did. I bank on-line with Nationwide and it was just a few seconds work to cancel the Animal Society DD.
  • stusouthall
    Animal Society Contact Number
    I have just had the same problem as in the first thread. Except the Animal Society Ltd had set up 10 direct debits. Luckily, i happened to notice these on my online banking before any payments had been made.
    I spoke to my bank to try and get some details, all they could give me was underwood hall, tel: 0870 742 3916. After reading the threads I have also emailed EandL Insurance (my pet insurance company) to find out why they have given out my details to a third party without my permission. I will keep you posted with their response.

P.s. I havent tried the phone number yet as I am in Europe with work, hopefully the bank has given me the right one. Please let me know if anyone has any joy.
  • stusouthall
    EandL Response letter
    Below is the response from EandL;

Date: 23rd September 2009

Dear Mr Southall

Re: ####

I write in respect of your correspondence dated 22nd September 2009 received into this office on 23rd September 2009.

As Deputy Policy Administration Manager, I write to acknowledge receipt of your complaint and to assure you that the matter has been addressed. Please find enclosed herewith a copy of our Complaints Handling Procedure.

Primarily I would like to assure you that your details have not been given to any third party, we are aware that doing so is illegal. I can confirm that the direct debits were set up in respect of the National Pet Register Membership for Duke. I note that your insurance was incepted via www moneysupermarket com. From this online application, I can see that you opted in to this service when cover was incepted. There is no signed mandate, as cover was taken online so you entered your direct debit details when you requested cover.

Secondly you question why the direct debit is only just being set up now when cover was incepted in #########. I can confirm that the reason for this is that the National Pet Register Membership was offered to you completely free for the initial year of cover, therefore no instruction was required until the policy was due to renew. The details of the National Pet Register and its charges were outlined on the front page of your review documentation.

Unfortunately due to a system error, the National Pet Register Membership for Duke was produced 10 times. Please accept my sincere apologies for this error. I can confirm that this has now been rectified and all but one membership has been cancelled. Your membership number is ######. If you do not require this service at all, then this can also be cancelled so please advise on how you wish to proceed.

I trust in view of my actions we can consider the matter resolved. If however you wish us to resolve any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards.

Yours sincerely

Miss Rebecca Wade
    Deputy Policy Administration Manager

What are your thoughts on this?

Is it just a mistake that they set up 10 direct debits?, I think not as its not just me that they have made this 'mistake' with.

Why would they name the direct debit as Animal Society Ltd and the name on the policy as The National Pet Register? I find this very misleading and believe that this is intentional!!!

What to do now? Cancel policy or continue down the complaints proceedure? What would I gain by doing this, thoughts please.
    Last edited by stusouthall; 23-09-2009 at 5:56 PM. Reason: additional info
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 23rd Sep 09, 7:31 PM
    • 20,160 Posts
    • 12,434 Thanks
    dacouch
    Do not insure with E&L they have a very very poor claims service, have a look around the internet for reviews
  • stusouthall
    Ive cancelled the policy as I find them a completely immoral company. 10 direct debits set up??? And im not the only one this has happened to. Mistake my !!!!.
    DO NOT INSURE YOUR PETS WITH EandL.
  • oldnthrifty
    Well I just had 0.94p deducted from my bank acct to ANIMAL SOCIETY LTD, I cancelled the DD which i didnt set up and phoned the bank, E&L tried to upgrade my policy which I turned down as it was rubbish and would cost more....the upgrade was automatic and they were relying on me to carry on blindly.

Will cancel my E&L policy tomorrow.

It's funny they seem to act just like the banks.!!!!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

2,000Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin