IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Now received court claim

Options
fireintheeast
fireintheeast Posts: 21 Forumite
edited 11 March 2018 at 5:50PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi and thanks for all of the information on this forum. I'd like to ask a couple of questions if anyone can help.
The car park is managed by HX car management. Their solicitors are Gladstone's. The
driver, not me, parked the car on a manned car park, purchased a ticket but didn't display the ticket the correct side up. The tickets are colour coded and I have the ticket. Nothing in the signage mentions displaying the ticket in a particular way.
The PCN has the wrong reg number and wrong colour of the car.
I wrote and explained after they wrote to me as Keeper. Obviously they rejected my appeal. I won't pay, hence the court papers.
My main defence will be the lack of appropriate signage, non illuminated on a non illuminated car park in winter with arrival at dusk. Signs are misleading, contradictory, poorly positioned and mention a condition of parking that is impossible to meet, i.e. park in marked bays; there are no marked bays at all.
However how relevant is the ticket being upside down and the wrong reg number on the PCN should it be a factor in my defence?
I am following bargepoles advise and sending acknowledgement only allowing me 28 days to file a defence.
Any guidance please?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Throughout here you are advised never to reveal who was driving.

You need to edit your post to remove details of who was driving

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you

Lots of advice in the Newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum. See #2 for specific advice on Court defences

Post your draft up here for comments before sending it in
  • fireintheeast
    Options
    Thanks I've amended that. Can't seem to find whether the use of the wrong car registration has been a successful part of winning a case?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is the car regn. still wrong on the Particulars of Claim?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks I've amended that. Can't seem to find whether the use of the wrong car registration has been a successful part of winning a case?
    Well you don't need one, so that's lucky. Stop wasting time, you are right that THIS is your main defence, and the fact that it's Gladstones who will muck it up along the way:
    My main defence will be the lack of appropriate signage, non illuminated on a non illuminated car park in winter with arrival at dusk. Signs are misleading, contradictory, poorly positioned and mention a condition of parking that is impossible to meet, i.e. park in marked bays; there are no marked bays at all.

The tickets are colour coded and I have the ticket. Nothing in the signage mentions displaying the ticket in a particular way.
    However how relevant is the ticket being upside down and the wrong reg number on the PCN should it be a factor in my defence?
    Depends on the Judge, worth including as an aside.

Show us your defence, based on all the zillions of other Gladstones defences on here.

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    do HX actually own and run the car park?

do the tickets state HX parking ?
  • fireintheeast
    Options
    The car reg is correct on the particulars of claim. My thought is how can they get my address with the wrong reg number? Is it a ploy used by unscrupulous car park operators.
    The ticket says the name of the car park not the operators name and also has no VAT number. I doubt they own the land I did ask ownership and details of the lease but Gladstones didn't reply.
    I'll get my defence up over the next day or so
    Thanks
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The car reg is correct on the particulars of claim. My thought is how can they get my address with the wrong reg number? Is it a ploy used by unscrupulous car park operators.
    They didn't get your address with the wrong number.

There is opinion out there that suggests the PPC deliberately put the wrong reg no, or the wrong colour, on the NtK to solicit a response from the keeper saying something like "you are mistaken. The car I was driving was blue with reg ABC123".

Hey presto!! they now have the driver's identity! :D

No idea whether that's true or not but is sounds possible to me.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    My thought is how can they get my address with the wrong reg number? Is it a ploy used by unscrupulous car park operators.
    They take a closer look at the photos and realise their mistake, then ask for the right data.

This is not a huge point of defence but has some mileage if the driver is not being admitted, because the rk can argue that the POFA was not adhered to, due to the NTD (notice to driver on the windscreen) not stating the vehicle, and the NTK failing to 'repeat the info' from the NTD.
  • fireintheeast
    Options
    I was hoping they may have applied to the DVLA more than once. I did ask Gladstone's for a copy of the application. They didn't reply mind you!
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Well you can check if the wrong VRN is a real car, by Google searching to see if it's taxed/MOT'd.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure