Cerebral palsy

Options
My son has cerebral palsy and started school in September.
He is not managing as well as I hoped. I currently only receive child benefit and am wondering if there is any other help available. Where w would I start looking?

Comments

• Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cerebral palsy is a very wide ranging condition and additional help would very much depend on the severity of his condition.

You haven't specified what type of help you feel he needs/B]
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Staceyjean wrote: »
    My son has cerebral palsy and started school in September.
    He is not managing as well as I hoped. I currently only receive child benefit and am wondering if there is any other help available. Where w would I start looking?

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child under 16 who has difficulties walking and/or needs more looking after than a child of the same age. DLA is paid to a child’s parent, or a person who looks after the child as if they are a parent.
    DLA is tax free and is not affected by how much income or savings you have.
    DLA is made up of 2 components (parts):
    Care component and Mobility component.
    The child might qualify for one or both component
  • Staceyjean
    Staceyjean Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    He was born prematurely and has any slightest infection or cold means he often ends up in hospital. He misses a lot of school.
    His cerebral palsy is mild but he tries very easily and cannot walk far. He is clumsy and uncoordinated and he makes a mess of eating. Particularly with a knife and fork. So I give him a packed lunch that he can manage more easily.
    His speech is poor and difficult to understand sometimes. Although it is early days, his writing is incomprehensible mostly.
    He can read however. And his maths is good.
    I am a single parent with another child and no family. So hospital visits and stays are difficult.
    I have to do a lot of work with him at home because he misses so much time at school. Because I do so much with him, his reading is much better than the other children's (by around two years apparently) and his maths are around the same.
    I am however, struggling as I have no qualifications myself and worry that as time goes on I will find it increasingly difficult.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What did his last SALT report say? When was his last physio/OT appointment?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Staceyjean wrote: »
    Where would I start looking?

https://www.scope.org.uk - help and advice.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am not sure whether you are looking for help re: benefits (as this is the forum for that and you have been directed to DLA) or for other help?

What exactly do you want help with? His education/speech/language skills?

If it is to do with his language skills then you should be contacting the school to see what extra help they can offer or your child's doctor for speech therapy.

I am sure we would like to help but we are a bit 'in the dark' unless you are more specific.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 March 2018 at 1:57PM
    Options
    Possible benefits would include:
    DLA, Child Tax Credits (assuming not in a UC area).
    If the DLA claim succeeds CTC may pay an additional Disabled Child CTC element.

DLA is not means-tested, CTC does vary dependant on income

Some info on DLA:
    https://www.contact.org.uk/media/1172324/claiming_dla_for_children.pdf
    https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/benefits/dla
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/disability-living-allowance/

I would suggest you get a benefit check / help with the DLA form from your local CAB / advice agency.
    DLA is concerned with the additional personal care needs of the child, compared with other children of the same age.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5803826

From OP's other thread it is unclear whether this is a financial or other matter.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5803826

From OP's other thread it is unclear whether this is a financial or other matter.

150k plus 2k a month spare could provide untold wonders for any child. You!!!8217;ll be fine Stacyjean. You could hire someone to help you with looking after your child whilst you go to the hospital.

You!!!8217;ll be fine...
  • Staceyjean
    Staceyjean Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    From what I am reading it may be that I am able to claim disability living allowance. It seems that it is not means tested? Most of my income comes from maintenance payments from the children's father who has no contact with them. I don't claim tax credits as my income is too high.

I am hoping for some support at school and help with stimulating him at home. As their father has no contact with them and I have no family I struggle with logistics. E.g. hospital visits, I don't think I give my other child enough attention.
    I have no qualifications and am not really good at anything so I would like someone with a more educational background to give him and his brother a better life than I had.
    I love to read, especially history and world politics so am reading to them as much as possible, and we visit museums which they love, and we go out as much as we are Abe. But I have little to offer them.
    In terms of finance I am relying on support from someone who I would rather not rely upon. I suppose he would give me extra money but it is not just about money and I am trying to break free of the financial dependence. But the way things stand I have more chance of enrolling in Hogwarts than getting any sort of qualification.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure