tip from a gas engineer on frozen condensate pipes

Options

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lg13mza wrote: »
    Traditionally only those degree qualified and members of professional bodies governed by the engineering council could use the title. Sadly it had been abused for years. In many countries, Germany being one, it is protected by law.
    No, the specific title in the UK which is protected is "Chartered Engineer". A degree is not necessary (although is the easiest entry route) but corporate membership of a chartered professional body plus registration with the Engineering Council is required.

The 'abuse' (if any) is actually by Chartered Engineers not calling themselves that and insisting others respect the title. But that might have something to do with the typical character traits associated with Chartered Engineers. Chartered Surveyors and Chartered Accountants for example have far fewer qualms about using their correct titles.

The broad equivalent in Germany and various other countries is likewise legally protected. However, in the US an 'engineer' can also be someone who drives railway trains.

I don't have an issue with people who fix gas appliances or washing machines calling themselves engineers. However, as a society I think we would be better off if there was a more specific title available and widely understood.

Part of the problem with people being ripped off by cowboys is that they phone for an 'engineer' and associate the word with someone who knows what they are doing and can be trusted. Therefore when the cowboy arrives the customer is less inclined to question the spiel they are given, because they somehow imagine the 'engineer' is qualified and professional (rather than a bloke with a box of tools and a phone).

The Government could improve things by restricting tradespeople from using the word 'engineer' unless they have a recognised qualification/training/apprenticeship, but frankly it would be a waste of time because the public will still use and understand the word 'engineer' in the way that they want to.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    docmatt wrote: »
    On the above note I’m sure I heard someone calling a bin man an environmental waste technician or something like that.

Weren’t they originally ‘dustmen’ and then it was changed to binmen?

Garbologists.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Risteard
    Options
    lg13mza wrote: »
    Even they are miss-using the term then. Traditionally only those degree qualified and members of professional bodies governed by the engineering council could use the title. Sadly it had been abused for years. In many countries, Germany being one, it is protected by law.

Absolutely correct.
    ECA Registered Member
  • Risteard
    Options
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    Risteard why are you so bitter about this, it must bother you so much, you don!!!8217;t seem to be able to help yourself when someone refers to us a gas engineer. I really don!!!8217;t care what people choose to call us and certainly wouldn!!!8217;t feel the need to correct people because you feel they are calling someone by the wrong title on the internet.

Because it's wrong.

I've had people refer to me as an engineer before too. I point out that I am a highly qualified Electrician - but nonetheless Electrician (or Approved Electrician given JIB grading) is the correct job title for me.
    ECA Registered Member
  • Risteard
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    the public will still use and understand the word 'engineer' in the way that they want to.
    Unless you prosecute them for misuse of a legally protected title.
    ECA Registered Member
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would not join to any pipework which is not open ended. Anything that disappears underground into a wide drainage network, such as a soil pipe, or rainwater pipe into a combined sewer or soakaway is not recommended

Get a blockage down the line and water/toilet waste could back up into the boiler.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Risteard wrote: »
    Unless you prosecute them for misuse of a legally protected title.
    It's not legally protected though is it. My job title was Field Service Engineer for many years without a single relevant qualification. I knew nothing about fields either.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    Gas safe refer to us as engineers, BG, SSE and Homeserve which are probably 3 of the biggest gas companies all call us engineers as do local councils. I!!!8217;ve never once been called a gas plumber, I only ever get called a gas engineer, a plumber or a gas man call me what you want I really dont care, I get paid the same no matter what im called.
  • Risteard
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    It's not legally protected though is it. My job title was Field Service Engineer for many years without a single relevant qualification. I knew nothing about fields either.

It should be legally protected though.
    ECA Registered Member
  • Risteard
    Options
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    Gas safe refer to us as engineers, BG, SSE and Homeserve which are probably 3 of the biggest gas companies all call us engineers as do local councils. I!!!8217;ve never once been called a gas plumber, I only ever get called a gas engineer, a plumber or a gas man call me what you want I really dont care, I get paid the same no matter what im called.

How about gas pipe bender?
    ECA Registered Member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business