Replacement battery for Nokia E71- the final leg

Options
sevenonine
sevenonine Posts: 201 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've spent a great deal of time trying to find a replacement for my old Nokia E71 which suddenly died. Now, having checked what is available, I find in this digital age, my basic needs for a mobile are obsolete: namely a keyboard (instead of the usual numbers which entail finding the corresponding letters) and touch screens, which make it time-consuming using the right amount of pressure! The latter I can probably accept at a pinch (no pun intended).

New batteries are available on Ebay and Amazon but looking at my E71 Nokia the details are:
On the face of the battery are:
BP-4L 3.7V 5.6Wh;
below that a green square -
Original
Nokia
ENHANCEMENTS
DNWJ 084

On the back of the battery: BP-4L 1500mAh 3.7V 5.6Wh
followed by several cautions in French, Chinese and Japanese

On the base, where the battery rests:
Type RM-346; Model: E71-1;
IMEI/CODE/FCC ID/ IC/WLAN (each with values)
CE0434

All the above details may be obsolete or specific to my model E71-1; but would the details of the new battery, if different, be irrelevant, in other words standardised for the Nokia E71 or should I be looking for E71-1?

Would be grateful for any advice from all those who are more technically-qualified than me (which is probably everyone out there)!

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your old battery is a BP-4L, a quick search shows that a number of Nokia phones used that battery.

List as follows:
    BP-4L Replacement Battery for Nokia 6760, E52, E61i, E63, E71, E72, E90, N810, N97, 6650.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-original-Replacement-Battery-Nokia/dp/B006RFL1D2

Cheaper non-branded version (the "original" might even be a copy, it's been a long time since Nokia probably produced these batteries):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BP-4L-Replacement-Battery-Nokia-E63/dp/B004NOOZKU
    ====
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ah the E71,used to love that phone, slim and shiny metal.

Much nicer than the E61 "discuss" phone that I had before it.

As others have said you should be able to easily find a battery to fit. Lots at £3ish on eBay. Speaking as a ex. Nokia employee i have to caveat that they are a LOT of fake batteries, branded as original Nokia, however I've only ever seen one of these expand and blow the back off the phone.

If you do buy a new battery its a good idea to do the first charges on a heat resistance surface and keep an eye on it to see if it gets hot (slightly warm is OK). But if the battery charges OK first couple of times, you can relax.

Hope you find a new battery and enjoy your solid phone!
  • sevenonine
    Options
    Many thanksd123 for your response
    d123 wrote: »
    List as follows:
    BP-4L Replacement Battery for Nokia 6760, E52, E61i, E63, E71, E72, E90, N810, N97, 6650.....
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-original-Replacement-Battery-Nokia/dp/B006RFL1D2

and apologies for delay in acknowledging. Hope you won't mind my combining reply also to telemarks

Thanks also for yours -"Ah the E71,used to love that phone..." And for the caution re first charging exploding battery!

I have looked at the links provided - amazon and eBay - my only reservation was with the negative reviews which may not matter if the outlay is £3-ish.

Just one query: I bought a cheap BlackBerry and registered it with Three whom I've been using with my old Nokia. Three told me that BB charges £5 per month if I register with them. Is this true ? I'm not prepared to spend this as I get cheaper texts with PAYG with Three.
  • d123
    Options
    sevenonine wrote: »

Just one query: I bought a cheap BlackBerry and registered it with Three whom I've been using with my old Nokia. Three told me that BB charges £5 per month if I register with them. Is this true ? I'm not prepared to spend this as I get cheaper texts with PAYG with Three.

If it's an old Blackberry, yes, to use the internet or the BB features you need the Blackberry add-on.
    To use the internet, email and BlackBerry Messenger on your BlackBerry you'll need to set up Blackberry Internet Service, unless you're running BlackBerry OS 10 or later, which you'll have if you've got a BlackBerry Q10 or Z10. It costs £5 and lasts up to 30 days.

If you have a contract with us this should already be set up on your BlackBerry. It'll show in your My3 account as Add BlackBerry. If you can't see this, you can buy it in your My3 account by scrolling down the page and selecting Add BlackBerry.

Note: If you're on a plan with a limited data allowance, once you have reached your data allowance within your plan you'll need to buy more data to continue using BlackBerry Internet Services. You can do this in your My3 account.

If you're on Pay As You Go and you've activated your SIM and topped up, unless you've got a BlackBerry running OS 10 or later, you'll need to set up BlackBerry Internet Service

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=internetapps,varset_subcat=3582,Case=obj(3588)
    ====
  • sevenonine
    Options
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I gather you are quoting from Three's support service. I don't want to use BlackBerry at all and would like only to use Three as I have done for the last 4/5 years.

Before I buy a new battery for my old Nokia E71 phone (which hopefully will work as previously) and give up the BB phone, can you tell me whether I can't use my BB phone solely with Three?
  • d123
    Options
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I gather you are quoting from Three's support service. I don't want to use BlackBerry at all and would like only to use Three as I have done for the last 4/5 years.

Before I buy a new battery for my old Nokia E71 phone (which hopefully will work as previously) and give up the BB phone, can you tell me whether I can't use my BB phone solely with Three?

As far as I remember (it's been a lot of years since I used old style Blackberry) you can use it for calls and texts without the BB add-on, but it's quite clumsy and you can't use any features that require data.

You'd be better off buying a battery for the Nokia, it's a much better phone than any old Blackberry.
    ====
  • sevenonine
    Options
    You'd be better off buying a battery for the Nokia, it's a much better phone than any old Blackberry.
    Exactly my thinking...but looking at all the batteries on Ebay and Amazon and reading the reviews I find mind-boggling. Also I don't like being faced with having to return an item.

What do you think of the various so-called "newish" E71 mobiles on Ebay for anything between £39-£44 with all the gizmos eg Wi-Fi - I won't be listening to music on mine. And the warranty is for the Seller not the Manufacturer. What is meant by Sim free - is that the same as unlocked? I thought the Sim is what all one's contacts are on.
  • d123
    Options
    Exactly my thinking...but looking at all the batteries on Ebay and Amazon and reading the reviews I find mind-boggling. Also I don't like being faced with having to return an item.

What do you think of the various so-called "newish" E71 mobiles on Ebay for anything between £39-£44 with all the gizmos eg Wi-Fi - I won't be listening to music on mine. And the warranty is for the Seller not the Manufacturer. What is meant by Sim free - is that the same as unlocked? I thought the Sim is what all one's contacts are on.

Generally sim free means unlocked (CPW caused confusion for a few years by labelling lock to first sim as sim free). Any seller on eBay is likely to be using it to mean unlocked, IMO.

If you want to post the links you're referring to I'm sure a few of the posters here will give you an opinion. I've bought second hand from eBay without issues in the past.
    ====
  • sevenonine
    Options
    If you want to post the links you're referring to I'm sure a few of the posters here will give you an opinion. I've bought second hand from eBay without issues in the past.

It's a considerable time since I first raised this query but I find myself actually bereft of my Nokia E71. It has left me out of the loop for alerts from the surgery I attend and especially for financial transactions where a code is required for security.

Just to recap: I'm keen on keeping my old Nokia because it has a Qwerty keyboard, it's basic and I don't require all the many apps of current smart phones. Besides I'm not a follower of the various social media !!!8211; except of course the MSE forums.

There are 2 possibles. From Ebay's website : it's only £3.90 so no big deal and it's from a local supplier (for returns);

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOKIA-BP-4L-BATTERY-FOR-NOKIA-N97-N810-E52-E55-E61I-E63-E71-E72-E90-1500mAh-/123208171502

Amazon has one for £9.77 and can deliver end-July. I think I might go for this one and it would be better to buy direct !!!8211; any advice would be appreciated.

Genuine original nokia BP-4L Replacement Battery for Nokia Nokia 6760, E52, E61i, E63, E71, E72, E90, N810, N97, 6650.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure