PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Maninblack32
    Options
    I'm putting in £400 this month.

Son and Husband switched to packed lunches so increase to reflect this. Son does get universal free school meals as he's only 5 but we've switched for health reasons. Also have two rats (had for 2 months) and they go through a lot of fresh. I found with the variety needed for lunches and rats and dinners I was constantly buying fresh fruit and veg in Feb! Would like to buy more organic too.
  • Had shopping delivered yesterday, spent 80.50 euros and the cupboards are full. I will still need to buy fresh bits though. We also ended up with a large amount of free meat which was put in with our shopping by mistake and couldn't be returned!

Meals for the week;

Noodle stir fry
    Chicken curry
    Some kind of roast
    Spinach and ricotta cannelloni
    Jacket potatoes and beans
  • lemonverbena
    Options
    Hi can I join in please?

As its my first month I'll not set a budget but will keep my receipts (and meal-plan, check prices, use voucher/cashback, try to cook more from scratch etc) - then I'll know what I need to reduce from next month.
  • Alwaysskint2016
    Options
    Morning all, I'd like to continue with this for March please as I'm finding keeping track and being in control is a great help to saving money.

I'd like to reduce my budget to £280.00 (1st March - 31st March). This is for all groceries, toiletries cleaning products etc for 2 adults and 2 teens.

If I manage to achieve this I'd have reduced my grocery shop by £100 per month since starting the challenge in Jan. Good point is that no school hols this month so should help in keeping to this budget.

Food plan for month reprinted and shopping list printed. I've done an inventory of freezer and stores ready for the new month.
    Debt busting start date 08/08/18 - total debt £33,222.32 :eek::eek: Debt now £31,352.56 - Paid £1,869.76 - 5.63% @ 05/10/2018

• lemonverbena
    Options
    I spent £10.52 today - £4.00 at Asda for some treats that have 100% cashback on them (I won't take cashback off my total until it's in my bank account/on a giftcard though) and £6.52 on veg, fruit, fresh herbs, and milk at the local greengrocers.

Meals planned so far:
    Tofu stir-fry with red chilli, runner beans, mooli, and anything else that needs using up
    Root veg stew with split peas and barley
    Cabbage casserole with leeks, tomato, ricotta, rice, parsley, mint, and pine nuts (or probably some cheaper kind of nut/seed)
  • Hayze1980
    Hayze1980 Posts: 36 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2018 at 3:55PM
    Options
    Can I join please? My budget this month is £250

We moved into a run down house 4 months ago and renovation costs ended up being bit higher than I was expecting, so it is back to frugal living for a while.
    £66.77/£240 Grocery Challenge
  • ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to zippychick, lynnjk and Coxy for their work on the thread and to elsiepac for taking it on. Please can I carry on with my annual budget of £1040. I am away for two weeks from the end of March but DS3 will be home at Easter, so will need to stock up when I get back.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £298.98/1200
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Echoing everyone's heartfelt gratitude to zippychick, lynnjk and Coxy - you have no idea just how helpful this thread is, to help me keep track & in control of the everyday budget in our busy & slightly chaotic household!

Guess what? NSD today... and I suspect tomorrow will be too! We've had a good few inches of snow so I've just stayed put all day. Stocks are high and everything is working fine - so far! Fingers crossed it stays that way & that it's much the same for all of you too.
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • lemonverbena
    Options
    I spent £10.52 today - £4.00 at Asda for some treats that have 100% cashback on them (I won't take cashback off my total until it's in my bank account/on a giftcard though) and £6.52 on veg, fruit, fresh herbs, and milk at the local greengrocers.
    I also got £3.10 cashback paid into my bank account by Green Jinn tonight - so my spending "total" is £7.42.
  • selloptape
    selloptape Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Doesn!!!8217;t feel like a great start as I!!!8217;ve spent money on treats and convenience today due to miserable weather. Also no chance of getting the car to the shops today for a proper shop. Meal plan is on hold, ready to be resumed when weather!!!8217;s more favourable :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure