Signature for using Amex?

Options
Hi I was in my local BP garage this evening getting some fuel. For the first time ever I was asked to sign for my purchases. I didn't realise this was possible with a UK card as we have chip and pin! It doesn't seem very secure.

It this normal or should I phone Amex?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's not normal but not unusual.
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    philip1427 wrote: »
    Hi I was in my local BP garage this evening getting some fuel. For the first time ever I was asked to sign for my purchases. I didn't realise this was possible with a UK card as we have chip and pin! It doesn't seem very secure.

It this normal or should I phone Amex?

Every once in a while this happens. It's rare, but it happens.

I've signed for maybe 2 or 3 transactions here in the UK last year (infact, I had to sign for one last week - using a Visa).

Signing for transactions isn't 100% dead yet.

Technically not as secure as chip & pin, but it's the merchant's choice...
  • sausage_time
    Options
    Odd, I had this yesterday in an Esso garage with Amex! First time in years.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chattychappy
    Options
    I would be VERY CAREFUL when asked for a signature to check my statement. Be sure to keep your receipt.

In the unlikely event you are asked to fill in a manually produced imprinter voucher, I would refuse. (Doubt if they are around in the UK, but they are still used abroad in poorer countries without reliable connections.) But if you MUST fill one in, cross through unused boxes and again, be sure to keep your copy.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I would be VERY CAREFUL when asked for a signature to check my statement. Be sure to keep your receipt.

In the unlikely event you are asked to fill in a manually produced imprinter voucher, I would refuse. (Doubt if they are around in the UK, but they are still used abroad in poorer countries without reliable connections.) But if you MUST fill one in, cross through unused boxes and again, be sure to keep your copy.

I used to work in a petrol station up until a couple of years ago; they were an independent business and sometimes their merchant acquirer would go down and/or the ADSL line.

It might not be the case any longer but before I'd left we had to revert to the manual imprint machine.

Never do I want to hear Ross King saying "Welcome to American Express" ever again :rotfl: (when calling up for authorisation)!
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had to sign for a Mastercard transaction last week in Waitrose.
    It happens occasionally!
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The chip and pin function goes down once in a while so it happens. The downside for the retailer is there is no defence from a chargeback.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 13 February 2018 at 7:46PM
    Options

IMHO this sort of scam is very rare, the voucher would make the store complicit in the scam as any proceeds get processed into the stores accounts and not the individual scammer.

A scammer would typically want to skim your card details somehow, in order to clone your card and take money from your account they'd want your pin over a signature any day.

A chip and pin is actually much more dangerous and prone to scams then a manual transaction run by signature. The risk you highlight is limited to that specific store and store owners wont do this sort of scam

Fraudulent transactions run by a shopkeeper on their tills is extremely risky. Business owner can get their account terminated and a black mark put on their name and business making it impossible for their business to ever process cards again. The risk is too high for this.

Scammers want your card details and pin so they can just clone your card and put it inside an ATM to get money out from anywhere.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2018 at 12:23AM
    Options
    IMHO this sort of scam is very rare, the voucher would make the store complicit in the scam

Indeed. But it happened to my friend in Vietnam. $100 became $1100 (or something like that - he lost US$1000). The CC wouldn't do anything without the top copy which he binned. They faxed through the merchant copy. It looked pretty obvious to me that the 1 had been added (it was a different style to the 1 already there) and circumstantial evidence supported my friend. Such a bad memory for him, he just didn't want to take it any further.

I agree: less likely to happen in a "mainstream" shop. More likely to happen in countries where imprinters are common and tourists are passing through. Also when thinking about frauds/scams, from a cardholder's point of view there are some where you are more likely to be held liable (eg cardholder present, as in my example) and some where the bank/merchant is more likely to be on the hook.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure