Gas Boiler Problems

Hi Wondering if anyone can advise please? Baxi combi boiler some years old. Yearly gas safety checks usually go ok but last week we has usual check but since then the boiler hasn't been the same. It's going on and off every two minutes at say 22 degrees on room stat. Just timed it and from 10:52 until 11:09 it's been on and off two mins at a time. It is now off half an hour later! Also notice that room gets cold when it does this and sometimes I have to manually turn the room stat up for it to come on again.

Also sometimes boiler fires up for say 20 seconds then DIES down...doesn't sound to be switching just dying away. Surely this isn't right especially when it's not happened like this before. We haven't had a full service for many years landlord used to do it but now just gas safety check. Would asking for a full service cure this problem? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Wondering if anyone can advise please? Baxi combi boiler some years old. Yearly gas safety checks usually go ok but last week we has usual check but since then the boiler hasn't been the same. It's going on and off every two minutes at say 22 degrees on room stat. Just timed it and from 10:52 until 11:09 it's been on and off two mins at a time. It is now off half an hour later! Also notice that room gets cold when it does this and sometimes I have to manually turn the room stat up for it to come on again.

Also sometimes boiler fires up for say 20 seconds then DIES down...doesn't sound to be switching just dying away. Surely this isn't right especially when it's not happened like this before. We haven't had a full service for many years landlord used to do it but now just gas safety check. Would asking for a full service cure this problem? Thanks for your help.

Hi. If you are renting the property, then fixing CH faults is the responsibility of your Landlord. I am no expert but the problem may be a failed/stuck diverter valve. Come what may, it needs to be looked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Hi Hengus thanks for that. Definitely down to Landlord and their contractors are on to it but they don't seem to understand that this problem didn't happen before last week especially with the boiler coming on and going off in quick succession! I had a lecture that..that's what stats do...but don't seem very concerned about this problem. They changed the room stat as I thought that was the fault but the new one is doing the same.

I just thought someone knowing what it could be....I then can go back to them and give them some ideas. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure