Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cooket3
    • By cooket3 6th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cooket3
    Warranty after company stops trading
    • 6th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    Warranty after company stops trading 6th Feb 18 at 12:58 PM
    I have a Husky Heat Pump and it should still be in warranty. However I found out yesterday the company has ceased trading and not monitoring emails. I cannot contact them via telephone.

How do I find out how to contact as my warranty is protected by UK law and possibly administrators or another company should take it on? What rights do I have regarding this if it breaks down or require a part - I need to know who to contact

Does anyone know who I can try?

Thank You
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Feb 18, 1:00 PM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:00 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:00 PM
    What UK law protects your warranty in this situation?

Please don't say the warranty mentioned in the EU directive.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    • 3,981 Posts
    • 4,033 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    How did you pay? If it was by credit card (or other finance directly linked to the purchase) and the value was £100 or more then you're covered for all contractual rights (including warranty) by the credit company under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Was the company that's ceased trading:

a) providing the warranty, and
    b) who you bought from?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 10,173 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    As above did you buy from Husky ??
    If so warranty is likely to be null and void . But that depends upon the administrators and if / how they sell the company .In effect count it as no warranty as most are not transferred .

UK law that's consumer regulations against the vendor not manufacturers warranty .
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 3,981 Posts
    • 4,033 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    UK law that's consumer regulations against the vendor not manufacturers warranty .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Hence why I asked questions a) and b)

If OP bought directly from the manufacturer then the warranty forms part of the contract. As such the CCA Section 75 makes the credit provider jointly liable for the performance of the contract - including any warranty terms. (Whether the credit provider would be able to honour the warranty terms may be a separate question - it really depends on what those terms are).
    Last edited by DoaM; 06-02-2018 at 1:57 PM.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 7th Feb 18, 1:12 PM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:12 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:12 PM
    Hence why I asked questions a) and b)

If OP bought directly from the manufacturer then the warranty forms part of the contract. As such the CCA Section 75 makes the credit provider jointly liable for the performance of the contract - including any warranty terms. (Whether the credit provider would be able to honour the warranty terms may be a separate question - it really depends on what those terms are).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Even if he bought direct the warranty has nothing to do with his consumer rights. It just so happens that the rights under consumer law cover anything that may have been in the warranty and he would be chasing them as the seller.
    • cooket3
    • By cooket3 15th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cooket3
    • 15th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    Sorry for the delay.

The warranty came with the Heat pump I bought with Husky. It was not an after market purchase.

The "Protected by UK law" was a phrase I took from the warranty page. I just need to know by what law!

Currently I cant even find anything that says they have ceased trading, just my email I got from their staff. I have tried emailing others and ringing up but nothing works
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 15th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 3,981 Posts
    • 4,033 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 15th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    Even if he bought direct the warranty has nothing to do with his consumer rights. It just so happens that the rights under consumer law cover anything that may have been in the warranty and he would be chasing them as the seller.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    I believe your understanding is a little misguided. If you buy direct from a manufacturer then any warranty terms offered by the manufacturer are part of the contract, therefore subject to S75 rights. (A manufacturer warranty when buying from a 3rd party seller are different - in that case they're not part of the contract insofar as S75 is concerned).
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 15th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 5,575 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 15th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 1:50 PM
    (A manufacturer warranty when buying from a 3rd party seller are different - in that case they're not part of the contract insofar as S75 is concerned).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    On what basis? ...I appreciate that this is going off topic.

If a supplier sells me a manufacturer's warranty, and that warranty is not carried out as described (because the manufacturer goes bust or for some other reason), the supplier has breached the contract with me.

How is that part of the contract excluded from s75?

(...assuming the £100 minimum, and other criteria are met.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,732Users online

Martin's Twitter