PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rental income deduction/relief

Options
ileven1225
ileven1225 Posts: 176 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 22 January 2018 at 11:20PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi Everyone,

The question might be obvious to some of you but i couldn't find the information online. I have called HMRC a number of times and their line is always busy. I own a lease hold property which has been rented out to produce some income since 2016 April. So I need to pay rental income tax between 01/04/2016 - 31/03/2017.

I am filling my selfaccessment form at the moment and would like to know what can be included as rental income deduction/relief for tax payment purpose. I listed the items i know:
  • service charge, lease hold
  • ground rent, lease hold
  • Mortgage - interest only
  • Any agency fee related, as it is managed by an agency.
I am currently renting a place to live in another city (other than the city where my owned property is). Can my monthly rental payment to another landlord be used to deduct my rental income?

I need to work out all expenses to see if it is more than £7500 to decide if I need to use rent-a-room scheme.

Thanks eveyrone in advance!
Dawei

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You can not declare the rent you pay elsewhere.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/income-tax-when-you-rent-out-a-property-working-out-your-rental-income

Rent a room scheme would not be open to you as you are now an owner occupier. You do not occupy the property you rent out.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rent a room is for people who let a room in the house that they live in. You can't claim it for properties that you let where you don't live.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ileven1225 wrote: »
    Can my monthly rental payment to another landlord be used to deduct my rental income?

No. This is not an expense incurred in letting the property out.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 January 2018 at 8:02PM
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

The question might be obvious to some of you but i couldn't find the information online. I have called HMRC a number of times and their line is always busy. I own a lease hold property which has been rented out to produce some income since 2016 March. So I need to pay rental income tax between 01/04/2016 - 31/03/2017. the 16/17 tax year runs 6th April 2016 - 5th April 2017, you are required to declare your rental profits between those dates based on the cash received in that period (unless your total rent before deductions was >£15,000)

I am filling my selfaccessment form at the moment and would like to know what can be included as rental income deduction/relief for tax payment purpose. I listed the items i know:
    • service charge, lease hold allowed
    • ground rent, lease hold allowed
    • Mortgage - interest only allowed (but take care next year as the rules from 6 April 17 are different
    I am currently renting a place to live in another city (other than the city where my owned property is). Can my monthly rental payment to another landlord be used to deduct my rental income?
    not allowed, in no way shape or form is that a business related expense, anymore than the cost of your food you eat whilst living there is a business cost

I need to work out all expenses to see if it is more than £7500 to decide if I need to use rent-a-room scheme. how did you not notice that the rent a room allowance relates only to lodgers living in the same property as their landlord?
    strange you missed this online!

it would be sensible for you to:
    a) read the basics
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/income-tax-when-you-rent-out-a-property-working-out-your-rental-income

b) take the HMRC online course on how to calculate your rental profits
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/courses/syob3/new_letting/HTML/new_letting_menu.html

c) read the advanced stuff:
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual
  • ileven1225
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

The question might be obvious to some of you but i couldn't find the information online. I have called HMRC a number of times and their line is always busy. I own a lease hold property which has been rented out to produce some income since 2016 March. So I need to pay rental income tax between 01/04/2016 - 31/03/2017. ....
    You need to declare rent income from whenever if March 2016 & 05/04/2016 (you're late, there are fines...) and also 06/04/2016 & 05/04/2017 - you need to have done this by 31/01/2018 or there are fines.....

And will need to declare for 06/04/2017 & 05/04/2018 - you need to have done this by 31/01/2019

Cheers!
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to declare rent income from whenever if March 2016 & 05/04/2016 (you're late, there are fines...) and also 06/04/2016 & 05/04/2017 - you need to have done this by 31/01/2018 or there are fines.....

And will need to declare for 06/04/2017 & 05/04/2018 - you need to have done this by 31/01/2019

Cheers!

This! Was going to say exactly the same thing.

If you started generating income in March-16 then you'll need to do a tax return for 15/16 so I'd get on the phone to HMRC asap, as there will potentially* be a fine.

*I've made a similar mistake in the past where I didn't declare because my allowable expenses exceeded my rental income. When I declared to HRMC they asked me to do an historical tax return but also confirmed there would not be a fine. However, in my case, I didn't owe any tax for the year in question!
  • ileven1225
    Options
    Again, thanks for everyone's comments, very helpful!

I need a bit more reading and hopefully will finish everything by 31st Jan. However, when i receive the self assessment form, it says i could pay 3 months later after the letter that is dated on 11th Jan 2018. So I think I should be able to pay it before April. To be clear, the apartment was rented out in April 2016, my typo!!!
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    when i receive the self assessment form, it says i could pay 3 months later after the letter that is dated on 11th Jan 2018. So I think I should be able to pay it before April.

Yes, this would be correct. If you notified them quite late in the day and they send a letter asking you to complete a tax return close to the deadline they do give you extra time to pay. Just bear in mind there may be some interest charges on whatever you owe, but (I'm assuming you wont owe significant amounts, I.e. in the thousands) - the interest charges should be negligible.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

The question might be obvious to some of you but i couldn't find the information online. I have called HMRC a number of times and their line is always busy. I own a lease hold property which has been rented out to produce some income since 2016 April. So I need to pay rental income tax between 01/04/2016 - 31/03/2017.

• service charge, lease hold
    • ground rent, lease hold
    • Mortgage - interest only

I need to work out all expenses to see if it is more than £7500 to decide if I need to use rent-a-room scheme.

Thanks eveyrone in advance!
    Dawei
    No, obviously not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills