Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Page 1
    • teedy23
    • By teedy23 16th Oct 07, 2:33 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 4,628 Thanks
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:33 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:33 PM
    Is there some kind of directory for this, or would you just to down to your local art school/ college. Would be good if anyone knew of a website where artists or schools advertised
    Dabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none
    Street money finds March to dec 2013 £13.11
    So far this year£33.64 (not counting the folded up lottery ticket which won £25)
  • superscaper
    • 16th Oct 07, 3:09 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 3:09 PM
    Don't think this is for us self-conscious uglies then.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
  • supersaver123
    • 17th Oct 07, 10:29 AM
    • 17th Oct 07, 10:29 AM
    There are a few websites you can join if you want to be a life model. "Register of artists' models" is quite well known. Good if yo live in or near London. Otherwise just ring up colleges or art centres. Once you're in somewhere your details get circulated between artists so work builds up.
    Looks are not important. just the ability to hold a pose. Can be hard work but is a good opportunity to just let your mind go blank and relax.
    • LizD
    • By LizD 17th Oct 07, 12:32 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    • 17th Oct 07, 12:32 PM
    • 17th Oct 07, 12:32 PM
    Don't think this is for us self-conscious uglies then.
    Originally posted by superscaper
    Actually, 'uglies' are more interesting and challenging to draw, (speaking as an ex-art student!), than a so-called 'perfect' person!

Anyway, don't you know beauty is the eye of the beholder?
  • Badger_Lady
    • 17th Oct 07, 12:36 PM
    • 17th Oct 07, 12:36 PM
    Yeah - my ex did this for ages, found a classified in the local paper (well, I found it for him!). Good money, gentle work... and he was pretty ugly :-D
    Mortgage | £132,000
    Unsecured Debt | £7,000 £0
    Lodgers | |

• starla
    • 17th Oct 07, 7:35 PM
    • 17th Oct 07, 7:35 PM
    Try contacting local art colleges and art societies and looking in the windows of art shops, especially around the beginning of term times. Make sure you check out the rates on offer before you accept any work as they vary greatly from place to place.

When working, negotiate regular breaks and take a warn dressing gown. Life modelling can be very cold and quite painfull staying in the same position. I used to find music helped the time pass quicker.
  • camper_1982
    • 23rd Oct 07, 11:57 AM
    • 23rd Oct 07, 11:57 AM
    How much do they pay you for getting your kit off?
    • eyelinerprincess
    • By eyelinerprincess 23rd Oct 07, 3:20 PM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 3,639 Thanks
    • 23rd Oct 07, 3:20 PM
    • 23rd Oct 07, 3:20 PM
    OH did it for local college and got paid £20/hour
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • asea
    Would you ever get a picture of yourself? (i'd prefer that to the money!)
  • jarrod1
    i could model balaclava's
    i wanna window seat !!
    • marksta
    • By marksta 15th Jun 08, 12:07 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Life Modelling
    I am very interested in doing this as I work as a computer technician for a local college and I know that they do life drawing classes.

However my biggest concern is a rather embarrasing one and is holding me back from applying; what happens if I suddenly start...errr...."standing to attention" as it were? I can't imagine it happening but you never know with these things and most men would agree with me it can happen at any time without warning!!

The last thing I want is to be carted off by the police whilst they try to revive 3 elderly ladies who have keeled over with shock.

Still interested in doing it though as it seems quite easy money.
  • FrugalFriend
    I used to go to life drawing classes, models need to:

* be able to stand still in one pose for long periods, (10-20 mins or longer)
    * be able to stick the cold/draughts (you're nude, everyone else has clothes on)
    * able to be completely relaxed and comfortable naked in front of a group of strangers, all of whom will be looking at every part of you more or less constantly.

I suggest going to a few life drawing classes to see how it's done. It doesn't matter if you're brutal at drawing or uninterested, pretend you are! Practice your poses at home first in front of partner, or mirror. Most important is you need to keep still; fidgeting, moving, shivering or shaking are all absolute no, no's!! Guaranteed to get on the nerves of art students and artists.
    Last edited by FrugalFriend; 15-06-2008 at 6:10 PM.
  • smalltowngirl2010
    Hi all.

I'm aberdeenshire and Is interested in taking up modelling. Not the ones you see in the Sunday paper (haha) but I would love to be drawn or painted by students or early learners. It's something I've been keen on for a while but didn't know who or what to turn to. Luckily I got introduced to this site. And I tell ya it's really worth looking at.

I would not mind if it was at Uni/College or any outside classes. I'm not experienced in this role but I believe there is something special about me.

The problem is I live in a town and there is not much information about it.

Any help out there?
    • cally6008
    • By cally6008 30th Dec 09, 5:03 PM
    • 7,284 Posts
    • 10,887 Thanks
    smalltowngirl - get in touch with local unis, local college, adult education centres etc, get asking about, be proactive and go looking for the information you want

• smalltowngirl2010
    Thank you for that. I will go look after the new year. I will check with my local library too.

If there is any part of aberdeenshire you know of that does this, please let me know.

Happy New year, Hope it's a good one!!
    Making big changes for 2010. I shall not hesitate nor judge. I shall try every little or big thing without fear!
    • WolfSong2000
    • By WolfSong2000 31st Dec 09, 4:12 PM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 1,911 Thanks
    smaltowngirl - you could try robert Gordon University or the local college...pretty sure the former runs an art course as I was toying with the idea of doing a Fine Art Postgrad there, and the latter has a lot of courses going on, so am presuming there's an art course...if you google them you'll probs find contact details .

Hope this helps!

Oh - while I'm thinking about it, Aberdeen Uni did (not sure if it's still around) have an art society, but I think the pay would be low, if offered at all. No idea on that one, I'm afraid...
  • Dizzie77
    Just did a quick search and found this -

Contact details on there for the tutor too....!
    Perhaps if they already have their models sorted, the tutor might be able to put you in touch with other classes?

Good Luck - it is very liberating...!!
    Why does nobody say Thank You anymore??

Debt Free as of September 2011

Sealed Pot 2009 number 334 - £100 Saved! yey!!
    Sealed Pot 2010 number 334 - £116.51 Saved! Yey!! YIPPEE!!
    • bluphoto7
    • By bluphoto7 3rd Feb 10, 10:27 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    On a somewhat connected note, especially if you struggle to hold a pose for more than a few seconds, then there's a great demand for models to pose (both male and female, clothed and unclothed) for photographic enthusiasts.

Clothed normally gets you some really good images of yourself, though little to no money, but nude will earn you some decent cash, and abstracts, for example, can be very attractive, as well as anonymous!

Choose your photographers and ask for references and some examples of recent work first, of course, to establish that the photographer is above board, though most are, and that the photographers style and ability meets your expectations.

I've been shooting fine-art nudes (among other subjects) for the last five years and rates of pay can vary from £20 for a half day, up to £200 or more for a full day.

If you go to a professional studio for a portrait, then the images you get could cost you £100's, and may simply be "another transaction" to the photographer.
    By working with an enthusiast you have a much better chance that the images are every bit as important to the photographer as they are to you.

No photographer wants to show his model in a poor light, so this is also a great way to get some beautiful portraits of yourself, as well as boost your self-confidence.

Check out sites like modelmayhem, purestorm or visit a local camera club.

Guy - Aberdeenshire.
    Last edited by bluphoto7; 03-02-2010 at 10:37 AM.
  • mateypeeps

Just to help speed up going to the sites mentioned above.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,926Posts Today

7,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @RBanwell: @MartinSLewis tried the "leave things in basket" online - nfl Europe offered me extra 10% off :)

• It's #GivingTuesday why not tell friends no tit for tat Xmas gifts. Donate to charity instead. Xmas isn't a retail festival. RT if u agree

• RT @LauraGriffEssex: @MartinSLewis Ha! Who'd have thought baby brain saves money. Always wondered why I got email discounts after forgettin?

• Follow Martin