Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 5th Dec 17, 6:12 AM
    • 2,899Posts
    • 39,371Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Tuesday 5 December 2017
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:12 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 5 December 2017 5th Dec 17 at 6:12 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 5 December 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark here, cold but no frost.

DH up and gone to work, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was smoked sausage and mushroom pasta with creme fraiche, menfolk had a breaded chicken portion with theirs, tonight will be gammon, egg, chips and peas, jacket potato for me.

Yesterday work was a busy one, hoping today is the same as the day flew past yesterday.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 05-12-2017 at 6:18 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 5th Dec 17, 6:37 AM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 38,926 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:37 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:37 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, hugs to all those in need.

I have a long list f jobs to do today, I need to go to the butcher's, supermarket, hospital to get CHS'S hearing aid sorted out, book the car in to have the brakes checked and I have boats to clean.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 5th Dec 17, 6:50 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 14,600 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:50 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:50 AM
    Morning all, still dark here. Only a couple of weeks before the days start to lengthen, I am not a winter person. I have a friend who loves the dark nights and feeling cosy indoors but I look forward to spring.
    Thank you for your supportive words yesterday. I got through the day, was effective and today I'm not working as have to work on Thursday which was meant to be my day off. I'll be reducing my hours in the new year, down to a 3 day week. I am longing to retire but that will be very difficult until we buy another house and my OH is the most stubborn person, no compromise and the right house has just not come up I doubt it will actually because I've shown him every house in our price range that isn't totally horrible for a long time and he's not liked any of them, apart from one which wasn't at all possible once we'd looked at it.

I am going to have pikelets for breakfast because I want to. And later I might go shopping.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Dec 17, 6:58 AM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 9,844 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:58 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:58 AM
    Morning everyone

Tru Thanks for the daily Christmas song, Iím really enjoying it and look forward to it.
    Lainey Iím glad that you enjoyed the service at the hospice. It sounds like it was a very emotional day for you though.

I had some good news from my x-ray result of my knee, there isnít any fracture so the GP thinks it is still infected and Iím going to carry on with the antibiotics and see him on Thursday and he may need to change them to something else. It looks like it is just badly infected and will slowly get better.

The washing got done yesterday as planned so today I want to see if I can manage to dust the sitting room and my bedroom. I donít hold out much hope of feeling able to clean the kitchen or bathroom though so that will have to wait.

My cousin in Canada emailed me yesterday to say that he will be over at the end of January for work and will be here for four weeks. Iím really looking forward to seeing him and spending some time with him, we have always got on really well. Sadly my brother has never bothered with our relatives in Canada and doesnít really know them, which is a shame for my niece and nephew because it would be a nice family connection for them.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 5th Dec 17, 7:08 AM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 17,754 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:08 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:08 AM
    Good morning everyone

It's still too dark to see what the weather is doing but the heating hasn't had to go on yet so that is good. Steve has gone to work and Phoebe and Lilly are rushing around getting ready for college. Becky is going back to the hospital today but she has had a lovely weekend and birthday so that is all very positive .

I am planning a week at home as they have closed off our part of town as the bridge needs resurfacing. There is such a long diversion that it becomes unaffordable to use my usual taxis. I have just ordered a healthy shop from Asda as I have put on so much weight over the last month. Anyway, I feel in a much better place to tackle it so I have made up a meal plan for the week and ordered all the ingredients to make some nice healthy food instead of the quick and easy rubbish we have been eating.

Today I am making some bacon and lentil soup for lunch and then a beef chilli for tea. I will start peeling all the veg in a minute once I have had a cuppa. Once the food is sorted I am planning a nice day with my knitting. I have nearly finished a scarf and am halfway through a hat for Jemima.

I hope Mr Lamewolf has a lovely birthday xx
    Thank you Tru for the lovely carols xx
    AOD, I am also very much looking forward to the Spring, fortunately it comes early down here so not too much longer to wait.
    Holly, I am so glad your knee isn't fractured, hope you feel better soon xx

I hope you all have a lovely day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    Last edited by dumpling; 05-12-2017 at 7:09 AM. Reason: cross posted
    September GC - £383.00/£550
    • redruby
    • By redruby 5th Dec 17, 7:11 AM
    • 6,507 Posts
    • 90,131 Thanks
    redruby
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:11 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:11 AM
    Morning all

Seems very cold here this morning but too dark to see what the weather is doing. Off to work for today and its going to be very busy, yesterday was manic with buffet's and xmas dinners and today is the same, its probably going to be manic no until xmas.

Gas man is finally coming tonight so we should have a functioning oven ! I wont know myself ! all the things I could cook !I must actually get something out of the freezer this morning. the possibilities are endless

I am doing an online shop for delivery Wednesday as I just done think im going to have time to go to a shop. I have also booked a Christmas delivery.

Right I had better get on, glad you will be reducing your hours, there is light at the end of the tunnel !!

Have good days all xx
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 5th Dec 17, 7:25 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 27,504 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:25 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:25 AM
    Good morning all,

I had an early start yesterday with a contact lens check and an eye test. I then did a bit of shopping for my cousin who is housebound after a bad fall, stopped a while with her for a chat to cheer her up and then I did my own shopping. By the time I finished it was time to collect the HT and friends from school. I was shattered last night.

Today I want to clean downstairs - my friend is coming to help me put the tree up tomorrow in exchange for bacon butties.

Holly, I'm glad that there is no fracture

Dumpling happy for you that Becky had a good weekend

AOD I'm not a winter person either and if I were you OH would have had an ultimatum by now - move to the next house I thought was suitable so I could retire or I'd be going on my own.

Redruby The first thing I made after having my kitchen done involved a lot of vegetables. I missed those the most when I could only microwave stuff.

Take care all of you
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 5th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    Good morning all. It looks damp outside, but doesn't seem to cold.Quite a bit of sunshine yesterday,hope today is the same. Some of the spring bulbs I planted in containers are pushing through - I put them in the backyard for the winter, because the house faces north and it can be pretty bleak in the front garden in the winter. I'm planning to move the containers through to the front in the spring, hope I still get some flowers. Spring can sometimes be late here in the northeast.
    Glad you are able to reduce your hours Aod - I had planned to work till I was 65, but retired at 61, and have never regretted it, though we've had to be careful with money.
    So pleased your knee isn't fractured Holly H, and hope the antibiotics do the trick.
    Today I have a hospital appointment, a bit of shopping to do, and we're going out for a meal tonight with friends. We are going to a local Indian restaurant - must admit I prefer Chinese, but the majority wanted Indian.
    Time to get on with the day, I'm a slow starter these dark mornings
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 5th Dec 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,745 Posts
    • 20,745 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:23 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:23 AM
    Morning everyone,

Good to read that your knee isn't fractured Holly and your cousins visit is something fab to look forward to.
    AOD think going part time is a very good idea.
    Happy that Becky and her family enjoyed the weekend.

Funnily enough my DOH and I are currently discussing work, after a few years of working for himself my beloved is thinking about going back into a company, a couple of his clients are selling their businesses so there will less work in the new year and it would be nice to have a more guaranteed income. I am also starting to look for something part time, having time off has been lovely but think it's time to get back if only for my NI contributions!
    Not many plans for today, over to see Lulu this morning and then would like to pop into the garden centre as have a voucher for money off birdseed, with the cold weather they are going through it very quickly.
    Have a good day folks x
    • Judi
    • By Judi 5th Dec 17, 8:30 AM
    • 15,463 Posts
    • 63,863 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all

Today is a new day and I remind myself, throughout life's difficulties, im truly blessed. Well apart from the dream I had during the night. Going to watch a round of boxing isnt my idea of a blessing.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 5th Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • 980 Posts
    • 11,872 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Morning all

DH has gone to collect DGS as it's our long day looking after him. I may have a nanna nap when he goes home at 3,15.

I'm sure today will involve watching Thomas the some Tank Engine cuddled up on the sofa with Grampy. DGS likes to chill with us on a Tuesday as he is often out doing things with mum Saturday to Monday.

Well have a good day all. Hugs and spoons all round.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • tru
    • By tru 5th Dec 17, 8:58 AM
    • 8,590 Posts
    • 43,475 Thanks
    tru

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening
    In the lane, snow is glistening
    A beautiful sight, we're happy tonight
    Walking in a winter wonderland

In my calendar Ė an elf?

Morning

I slept til 7.45 ths morning Ė that's unheard of! I've had breakfast, sorted the chickens and put the washing machine on. I'm on my second cup of coffee and wondering if I should get in the shower now or have another coffee first. I feel tired but relaxed and very much in the mood for films on Christmas24

I have another load of washing to do and the shopping is coming just after lunch Ė my favourite time slot was full so I'm going to start booking it a week in advance. Trouble is you have to fill the trolley to the value of at least £40 so I'll have to do a fake shop then rearrange later in the week when I'll know exactly what I need.

A couple of crochet ideas popped into my head last night so I'll be trying them today.

Bulletproof
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 5th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    • 12,169 Posts
    • 35,716 Thanks
    Nelski
    Good morning friends

Still grey here this morning but still no ice so thats fine by me.

Had a really lovely lunch yesterday with my old new friends (IYSWIM) Its amazing how many different memories we all had of each other at school. I am not a lover of Facebook at all at the moment it just seems to be a media to brag through and the awful christmas show off posts have started already.....but it does have its positive side and this is one example of it working well. We have plans to meet up again after christmas

I had lovely sea bass with a lobster sauce, mash and samphire salted caramel profiteroles for pud .....not sure if there was a pattern on the plate at the start but there wasn't at the end

FINALLY went to Asda and picked up my christmas jumper I had ordered and I love it

Mum day today ...I have lots of "ready meals" for her after my big cook in this weekend. Hoping for a neutral mood at the best today.

Holly really glad its not fractured but keep resting though or you may make it worse
    RR enjoy your new kitchen not jealous at all

Have a great day all
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 13,854 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Yesterday, after work, I visited a car showroom to meet a salesman I was put in touch with. Only to find out I went to the wrong showroom. Waste of time. Then went to my Mums and helped her put up her tree before going and playing football.

Tonight, I've no plans other than to finish my ironing and hopefully do some meal prep too. Perhaps an early night as this morning was a struggle to get up.

AOD - pikelets? Never heard of them. Had to google them. Are they just the same as pancakes?
    HH - Good news about the knee! Hope it heals quickly.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 5th Dec 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 16,658 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Dumpling, glad you had a good weekend with Becky. HH pleased your knee is not fractured.

A dull morning, hardly light but at least its dry. I too am looking forward to 21st December when it starts getting lighter again. Clear cold, and snow cold I do not mind, but I hate it when its damp and grey and does not get properly light all day.

I am on the sick list again, another UTI arggh...... I just went doen to the Drs the waiting room was full and 6 standing, so I made an appointment for Thursday, collected 3 specimen bottles, 1 to use and 2 spares. Every one in the waiting room was coughing and sneezing, no way was I sitting waiting in that germ ridden atmosphere!! So it will be a glass of water every hour to try and flush it out before it gets too bad.

So much for cranberry juice, that certainly did not work for me.

We have the new shed coming this morning, they have been told they HAVE to bring it round the back. The installation is Friday morning anytime after 7am. Which is what we wanted in the first place. OH spent ages on the phone to them yesterday trying to sort things out. Please keep everything crossed that this one is ok, otherwise we will be asking for our money back.

I am planning on a settee day today, busy day tomorrow, coffee in the morning and then there is a Christmas get together for the over 80's at the village hall in the afternoon, the hosts are the local GP's. Its the first year they have done anything like this.

Supper tonight, beef stew and dumpling with veg, no potato's as we are having dumpling, so cauli, calabrese and carrots. The last of the crumble for dessert.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 5th Dec 17, 9:42 AM
    • 5,959 Posts
    • 35,562 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning chums!

It's very grey, misty and drizzly here. I''m another one who does not enjoy the darkness of early winter. It'll take ages to get light again but at least I know it's coming after the solstice

The washing machine is chugging away with a load of whites which I'll get on the airer upstairs before I go out for my two hour teaching session. After that I'm meeting up with a volunteer colleague for 'sort out some processes' meeting. Two committee members have recently resigned so the chain of paperwork needs reorganised.

This morning I got a call from the body shop telling me that my insurance company have given the go-ahead for the car repairs. Now I need to liaise with the car hire company to arrange a drop off at the same time as my own car.

When I come home there's a load of paperwork to do, some online banking to do and yet more marking. Thanks for all the supportive comments about my stress levels! I didn't retire just to wade back into so much work, I only teach four hours a week but it brings SO much admin that most of my days are filled doing it or avoiding doing it!

Now,where's TA? I hope you're recovering from the lurgy and being looked after for a change.

tru - thanks for the daily cheery-up verse.
    I hope everyone has an enjoyable and happy Tuesday.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 5th Dec 17, 11:59 AM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 38,926 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Thanks for the song Tru, good news about the knee Holly, and AOD, I'm with Cranky on that one.

I left home at 7 this morning and I've only just got back after running all CHS'S errands for him.

I'm putting my feet up with a cuppa for a what level before I go boat cleaning again.

Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 5th Dec 17, 12:07 PM
    • 15,463 Posts
    • 63,863 Thanks
    Judi
    I am on the sick list again, another UTI arggh...... I just went doen to the Drs the waiting room was full and 6 standing, so I made an appointment for Thursday, collected 3 specimen bottles, 1 to use and 2 spares. Every one in the waiting room was coughing and sneezing, no way was I sitting waiting in that germ ridden atmosphere!! So it will be a glass of water every hour to try and flush it out before it gets too bad.

So much for cranberry juice, that certainly did not work for me.
    I'm just getting over one thankfully. Never have any pain with them mind.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Dec 17, 12:15 PM
    • 15,623 Posts
    • 127,616 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi Chums, been pottering around this morning doing odd jobs that have been piling up indoors.
    Csarina do you put a teaspoon of soda bicarb in with the water its often helps with UTI's they are miserable aren't they.

Just had a phone call from one of my oldest friends I have known her for well over 55 years and it was lovely to hear from her.we really don't speak enough and I have promised he I will try to get to see her after Christmas she lives on the other side of Colchester so I won't go until the madness of shopping has died down as the M2 has Bluewater and the M25 has Lakeside so the two roads get pretty jammed up at times. Her OH has given up driving at 78 so its easier for me to drive to them

Tonight is quiz night at the pub so no dinner to cook for me tonight .I shall use up the two scones I was given on Saturday for lunch with some butter and jam and some fruit for pudding.

The weather is mild at the moment but a cold snap is forecast for the weekend.

My food shopping list hasn't got much on there worth going out for only tomatoes,eggs and greek yogurt so I will give the shops a miss today as well day five of the month and still no shopping bought I'm pleased with that .I shall be delving into the depths of my freezer shortly to dig out dinner for tomorrow night. I have veg wise a quarter of a cabbage and a dozen or so brussel sprouts at the bottom of the fridge and more than enough potatoes peeled in water in the fridge so I only have to find something to go with them

Hope you are all keeping warm and dry and the daily christmas song from tru is always looked for

Take care chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 5th Dec 17, 1:53 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 27,504 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Just had my dressing changed at the doctors and the nurse poured some manuka honey stuff on my leg as well as the honey dressing (the honey dressing goes under the other "keep everything in" dressing). She said some people don't like the honey stuff because it stings. Stings......it currently feels like it's burning it's way through my leg and it's going to make re-entry the other side. This had better work, whinge, whine, moan and all that...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,661Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin