Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 4th Dec 17, 1:30 PM
    • 926Posts
    • 368Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    Ideas For Generating an Income in Retirement
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:30 PM
    Ideas For Generating an Income in Retirement 4th Dec 17 at 1:30 PM
    I am hoping to early retirement in a couple of years and am looking at my options now.

I won't have enough saved up to retire without having to work, so I am looking at investing my savings into a business or some other method to generate an income.

I don't have a problem working, I am lucky to be fit and healthy and would actually look forward to working for myself and would rather do this than another 10-15 years slog in the office!

The easiest option would be for me to buy some property to rent out, but BTL has been done to death and I am aware of the risks. I could buy enough property to generate income around £2,000 a month net, which is enough for me to be fairly comfortable.

Other ideas are to buy a franchise, but I have read most of these need 50 hours a week plus put into them to generate a decent amount, £2k would be about the minimum I would want.

Another idea is to go into property development, but it's not something I have experience of doing, so risky!

I currently have my own webdesign business that I do part-time on a freelance basis but it only generates a few hundred a month, I could expand that perhaps.

What other business ideas are there that I can get into for around the £150k mark, ideally less.
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 4th Dec 17, 3:11 PM
    • 10,031 Posts
    • 8,086 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:11 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:11 PM
    If you have enough money to buy property which would generate an income of £2K net a month, this would suggest you have a large amount of spare capital. I would have thought you might have enough to live on.

On a pessimistic note, you may be fit and healthy now, but in another 3 years time things could be very different.
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 4th Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 9,416 Posts
    • 17,125 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    I could buy enough property to generate income around £2,000 a month net, which is enough for me to be fairly comfortable.
    Originally posted by scaredofdebt
    Don't forget to factor in the income tax on that. Catches out a lot of people.
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 4th Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    At my age the cash would only buy an annuity of around £6k per annum so that's not going to cut it.

Peer to peer is an option but risky.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 4th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 15,788 Posts
    • 9,078 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:06 PM
    Personally i would be running with a BTL. Income while you need it, and once you reach your twilight years you can sell it and recover your lump sum.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 4th Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 986 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    Seems like the development of your website business might be a viable option as you currently have the skills and expertise.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin