Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jet
    • By Jet 30th Nov 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,514Posts
    • 974Thanks
    Jet
    Fibre - can we really get it?
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:30 PM
    Fibre - can we really get it? 30th Nov 17 at 1:30 PM
    The online sites are telling me we can get fibre broadband, however, we are quite rural - on the outskirts of a small town. We are at least a mile (by road) from one of the green boxes in the town.

I have heard that if you are more than 6 telegraph poles away from a green fibre box, then you can't get fibre.

What I don't want to do is end up paying for Fibre but receiving a service which is the same as I get now which is around 10mbps.

I know of a business at the other end of town - which is about 0.5 miles away from the nearest green box and they get the same speed as me but are paying a lot more.
Page 1
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 30th Nov 17, 1:44 PM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:44 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:44 PM
    Providers have to give you an estimate of the speed you are likely to get, you can get an estimate yourself with your postcode or telephone number (if the phone isn't an unbundled MPF number from the likes of Sky or TT)
    If a provider signs you up on the basis of an estimated likely speed and you don't get that speed they should release you from any contract penalty free, provided you give them the opportunity to get your line upto the estimate speed if it doesn't achieve the estimate from the start, so it should be risk free
    It may be that it's fibre to the premises (FTTP) that's on offer , not fibre to the cabinet (FTTC)...if that's the case, the distance to the 'green cabinet' is irrelevant
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 30th Nov 17, 2:17 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:17 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:17 PM
    Best answer is to find a next door neighbour coming off the same line within a few poles near you and convince them to look at their router and see what their connection speed is...

Having a filtered master socket in the right place makes a big difference too.

www.dslchecker.bt.com is the official estimate website. While there is a theoretical handback speed it is generally so absurdly low as to be pointless. You can be too far from the green box to be eligible for fibre even if the exchange has it.

In my unfortunate experience I had 8mps adsl and connnected at 8mbs. I was promised 48-52mb fibre, after they installed I had 20mbps. Was stuck with it. BT dsl checker promptly dropped to a 20mps estimate for my line. Found my next door neighbour was getting 40mbps so eventually got bt to move and reinstall master socket and got up to 40mbps upload from 1mbps to 7mbps. BT now says I should get a maximum of 30mbps. Go figure.

For what its worth I'm a km from the green cabinet box. My neighbour is probably 3/4 of a mile and gets about 30mbps and 4mbs up.

So basically if you can get it and you have a correctly installed master socket in the right place with a fault free cable to the exchange it could be good. If its not then its a nightmare to convince anyone to come outfix it let alone someone capable of finding the problem and a solution.

Still on offer its not much more than adsl often. Though adsl prices are falling at the moment.

Good luck. It could all work out.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 30th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    If I was getting 10mbps, paying for ADSL and happy with my connection, I wouldn't even consider changing anything!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter