BT Free braodband giveaway, Black Friday Offer

I received a letter from BT offering Free broad band yesterday

There is no minimum contract, no activation or delivery charges

Unlimited usage and up to 17Mb speed

All I have to do is keep paying the standard telephone line rental, so thats a months notice if I did want to quit both services

I am out of my minimum telephone line rental

Any one taken this offer up? Any advice - it seems like a too good to be true offer

Comments

• I got one too.

Came on here in search of info.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is there a code or link on the letter?
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thats a remarkably good offer!

What do you have currently for internet?

I wonder could this be linked to people with no internet and just a landline getting a discount on their line rental whereas people with line rental and broadband have to pay the full £18.99?

I wish I knew how to get such a letter.
  • boatman
    Come on people, spill the beans?
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Anyone currently on BT Home Phone Saver and taking up this "free broadband" offer while retaining Anytime Unlimited calls will find their monthly bill going up by around seven to nine pounds per month.

The letter from BT says "carry on paying standard line rental", but people on HPS are not "currently" doing that. The letter makes no mention of increased costs for HPS customers and is misleading.
  • boatman
    edited 26 November 2017 at 8:53AM
    Where can I find this offer, what is it called, is there a number to call or a particular website link on the letter? Parents are currently on sky but may have to move in 6 months, so this would be ideal, as no tie in.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    boatman wrote: »
    Where can I find this offer, what is it called, is there a number to call or a particular website link on the letter? Parents are currently on sky but may have to move in 6 months, so this would be ideal, as no tie in.
    Looks like it's only an upgrade offer being made to existing BT telephone customers without a broadband service.

Whereas the best deal you can get from BT as a new customer is paying £22.40 per month for the same deal (+£9.99 router delivery), which is their Black Friday deal of £23.99 per month, and pay your line rental in advance. And its probably an 18-month contract, so the last 6 months you'd pay £23.99 each month as the line saver rental will have ended.
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes it would be interesting to know if the people getting this offer are those with no internet, just a bt phone service.

That said I did sign my relative up to the cable.co.uk offer this weekend. BT ADSL for £5 for 18 months with a hundred pounds of cards and cheque rebates so the broadband is kind of free.

Depending on you region I notice that sky, first ultility, the post office, plus.net and talk talk are all under £19 often with cashback for adsl. So basically free if you ignore the extortionate price of line rental.. So perhaps this free bt off is not so out of line as I first thought.
  • acR
    acR Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 November 2017 at 9:25PM
    My mother also got this letter and it really is an unbelievable offer. It is through a special ring fenced team and is targeting people currently without broadband and in my mums case on Home Saver deal which she paid extra for anytime calls.
    The deal for her was free unlimited 17 mb broadband, hub delivered free, no contract cancel anytime, plus a free SIM
    with 400 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb of data. Also there was free BT sport for 18 months but she didn't want it. Ok her payments have gone up by £5.99 a month but she will save this easily with the free SIM as she was on pay as you go. For her this still includes anytime landline calls but for someone wanting only evening and weekend calls it will be cheaper.
    If you call them tell them it is a special ring fenced deal, as all the operators are not aware of it. I have spoken to two people over two days and only one was aware of it until he spoke to his manager. He could not believe the deal himself.
    If you are already on a standard tarrif you should get all this for no increase in monthly payments. But if you are on the Home Saver plan you will, as a previous poster has said, need to move to a standard tarrif which will increase your payments but the free
    forever SIM card may be worth it along with free BT sport for 18months.
    :hello: “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away” anon.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Actually for historical reasons, I have a BT phone line. OH has a Virgin land line phone line and Virgin Broadband for Internet and TV but an EE (was Orange) mobile phone account. So as far as BT is concerned therefore he has neither BT phone nor BT broadband. Although we are at the same address.

So what we are thinking of doing is for him to take up the BT phone line and broadband offer which should be £23.90 per month. He will drop VM phone/broadband/TV. I already have my own Netflix account. I would take out a FreeView tv account to replace the the TV component of our VM account.

Our VM package at £95 per month is not good value as we only get 60mb cable BB, we we do not use VM phone line (but they said we would have other charges increased to more than existing rental if we dropped it), there is heavy congestion on the broadband here, and the TV package (we have L) is not as good as it seems as many channels are just duplicated with a standard and HD version.

The only things stopping us are how long the BT offer of £8 per month unlimited BB will last, we cannot believe is is without limit and also OH does like his ESPN. We might get round that with a BT Vision sub although I find the details of that confusing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure