MSE News: British Airways to launch new boarding policy - here's what you need to...

British Airways will introduce a policy to board travellers with the cheapest tickets in two separate groups - but it's refusing to say whether those with hand-luggage only will be made to wait until last...
Read the full story:
'British Airways to launch new boarding policy - here's what you need to know'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Won't they need groups 6 & 7 for A380 flights?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 November 2017 at 5:45PM
    Suits us.

Less time sat on the aircraft....

Those who are sat and settled when we disturb them may not be happy though!
  • Suits us.

Less time sat on the aircraft....

Those who are sat and settled won't be happy when we disturb them may not be happy though!
    Ryanair priority boarding is my favourite.

Get to group at the front. Get led down a stairway. Stand at the bottom of stairs awaiting door opening, while the non-priority customers remain sat comfortably at the gate.

Get taken to the plane. Sit in your seat for what feels like an age while non-priority passengers spend forever boarding.

And you paid extra for it!
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If you're going to be in the crowded bit at the back, why would you want to get on any earlier than you have to?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Great idea. Less time waiting for the air craft taking off. I hate getting on a plane and then having to wait ages for other passengers getting on the plane and for it to take off.
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    EssexExile wrote: »
    If you're going to be in the crowded bit at the back, why would you want to get on any earlier than you have to?

To avoid having your hand luggage taken off you and put in the hold. That's really what the purpose of this is - better overhead space for those who've paid more.
    Legal team on standby
  • buzzard
    buzzard Posts: 227 Forumite
    If airlines had any sense they would load planes from the back - that way passengers are out of the way and you can board the next lot quicker instead of having people part way down the plane sticking things in lockers and slowing up boarding for those heading further backHowever I have yet to see an airline adopt the sensible approach. Easyjet come nearest as they sometimes still load front and back.
  • Shimrod
    Shimrod Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    buzzard wrote: »
    If airlines had any sense they would load planes from the back - that way passengers are out of the way and you can board the next lot quicker instead of having people part way down the plane sticking things in lockers and slowing up boarding for those heading further backHowever I have yet to see an airline adopt the sensible approach. Easyjet come nearest as they sometimes still load front and back.

Icelandair, Cathay Pacific and Air Canada are three I have flown with recently who have all followed this practice. I always thought it was more normal to board an aircraft this way (with the exception of business class, who get to go on first)
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Ryanair priority boarding is my favourite.

Get to group at the front. Get led down a stairway. Stand at the bottom of stairs awaiting door opening, while the non-priority customers remain sat comfortably at the gate.

Get taken to the plane. Sit in your seat for what feels like an age while non-priority passengers spend forever boarding.

And you paid extra for it!
    Or even better, get on the bus first. Bus waits for non-priority customers. Non-priority passengers board the bus. Bus drives to plane. Non-priority passengers mainly stood, so are off first, and first onto the plane!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    malkie76 wrote: »
    To avoid having your hand luggage taken off you and put in the hold. That's really what the purpose of this is - better overhead space for those who've paid more.
    Is this really an issue on BA, or any non "budget" airline, these days? Only time I've seen people told they'll need to put hand luggage in the hold is on budget airlines eg Ryanair, EasyJet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure