Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • C J
    • By C J 30th Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    • 961Posts
    • 5,514Thanks
    C J
    First ever craft fair - advice please!
    • 30th Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    First ever craft fair - advice please! 30th Oct 17 at 12:31 PM
    So I've signed up to do my first ever craft fair at the beginning of December, and I am excited and nervous in equal measure. I have product and personal liability insurance, and a good amount of stock available as I've been busy making things for months.

I make small gifts such as silver plated jewellery, re-purposed items such as bird feeders from vintage crockery, needlework items made from Cath Kidston, Liberty and other 'designer' fabrics, a range of hand knitted bits and bobs, and handmade cards.

Please can the more experienced craft fair sellers give me some hints and tips? How do you transport your items into the venue? How much float do you start with? Any tips for how to display items? Help! Thank you
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
Page 2
    • C J
    • By C J 2nd Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 5,514 Thanks
    C J
    Hello everyone - sorry for the delay in reporting by back, it's been a busy day and I am quite exhausted!

Thanks you all for your sage advice upthread, it really helped me. I got to the venue in plenty of time to set up and as we were able to choose our own spot, I had first pick. I chose wisely, getting a table along the right hand wall and even managed to expand outwards and sideways a little. It took me an hour to set up, but I was pleased with how it all looked in the end. There were some drawbacks : it was a primary school fete so there were lots of small children running around on a sugar rush from too many sweeties, and the organisers had put all the craft stalls in one large room upstairs (three flights, no lift!!) while the main school events such as Santa and face painting was going on downstairs. They also had a system for the school stalls whereby parents and children bought tokens to spend on things, so a lot of children came up to the craft fair without actual money. I did manage to get the organisers to agree to me accepting tokens to purchase things and then for me to swap them back for cash at the end. A bit of a faff, but it meant I was able to sell some of the less expensive things which otherwise I might not have been able to do.

It wasn't terribly busy, but I was pleased with how I did. I made a profit of around £75 after all my costs so whilst not brilliant, it wasn't bad at all and I have learned so much from being there and talking to the other stall holders. I got lovely feedback from customers and browsers so at least I know they liked the things I had made, and I have new ideas too as a result. I sold a little bit of just about everything I had made, so I think I am on the right track. I'm looking forward to my next one on Tuesday 12th at work now!

Thank you again for all your hints and tips, they really really helped me.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 3rd Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    • 10,012 Posts
    • 36,002 Thanks
    luxor4t
    The upstairs location and the token system suggests that the school wasn't really playing fair - or hadn't thought about it fully. I am glad that you enjoyed it and made a profit - onwards and upwards!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 3rd Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 6,694 Thanks
    Ilona
    It sounds like you made the best of a bad deal. Three flights of stairs, kids with no money, poor organizing. It's a good job you asked about exchanging tokens or it would have been a waste of time. If you go again next year ask if it will be the same. Anyway, you did alright in the end and you enjoyed it. Good luck for the next one.

At our fair they had crammed extra tables in, there was too many for the amount of money people had to spend, so sales weren't very good. Bit disappointing that I didn't sell all my shopping bags.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,662Posts Today

7,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin