Section 75 claim on broken TV

Options
Hi, I bought a LG Smart TV from curry's on my barclaycard in March 2015. This week it died - and won't power on past the logo screen. Since there have been no recent OTA updates it's more likely it's hardware related - possible the motherboard is dead. I'm not going to bother with curry's or LG since it's outside the 12 month warranty from LG and we didn't buy an extended warranty or a repair plan. They will fix it but will likely cost as much as a new set.

Do you think I would have any luck filing a section 75 claim with barclaycard?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. You only have the same rights against the card provider as with the retailer.

You'd need to prove a manufacturing fault to have any chance of success. Engaging LG would be a better, though still difficult, route.
  • RichL74
    RichL74 Posts: 938 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As ZX81 says no chance, the cost of tv's these days means you probably would be better off biting the bullet and just getting a new one.

And it's the old russian roulette of do you or dont you go for the extended warranty option, I feel your pain.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    I'd expect a five years plus life out of a TV.

Give section 75 a go. They'll almost certainly ask for a report explaining what's wrong with the TV and you'll have to stump up for the cost of that (reimbursed if claim is successful).

I don't think success is guaranteed. But a telly failing at this stage is unusual so claiming it's not fit for purpose isn't unreasonable.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd go back to the retailer and the manufacturer.

I wouldn't have said two and a half years is a reasonable length of time for a telly to last, though it depends whether it's been on all of the time I suppose.

I think they might offer a contribution or discount on a new one which might be your best option.
  • Irelanddj
    Options
    Here's my thinking though - if curry's offer a "fix my TV service" where for £95 you send it away and get told what is wrong with it (diagnostic only, they don't do any work). That would be proof of a hardware failure for the purposes of credit card claim, wouldn't it?
  • Irelanddj
    Options
    No not on all the time, just used as a lounge TV on evenings and weekends. We work in London during the week.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Irelanddj wrote: »
    Here's my thinking though - if curry's offer a "fix my TV service" where for £95 you send it away and get told what is wrong with it (diagnostic only, they don't do any work). That would be proof of a hardware failure for the purposes of credit card claim, wouldn't it?

Since you purchased the TV from Currys, the proof of hardware failure would suffice for a claim against Currys.
  • eco_warrior
    Options
    Irelanddj wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a LG Smart TV from curry's on my barclaycard in March 2015. This week it died - and won't power on past the logo screen. Since there have been no recent OTA updates it's more likely it's hardware related - possible the motherboard is dead. I'm not going to bother with curry's or LG since it's outside the 12 month warranty from LG and we didn't buy an extended warranty or a repair plan. They will fix it but will likely cost as much as a new set.

Do you think I would have any luck filing a section 75 claim with barclaycard?

Don’t see why you should be looking at a new telly after 2 years. Defo need to engage curry’s first though or the bank will chase you.
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    It is out of guarantee - things do go wrong, get real - there is bound to be a local chap who can diagnose & fix the fault. Also thanks to careless owners, there are lots of TV internal boards on Ebay - taken from TV's with broken screens!
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    HWW wrote: »
    It is out of guarantee - things do go wrong, get real - there is bound to be a local chap who can diagnose & fix the fault. Also thanks to careless owners, there are lots of TV internal boards on Ebay - taken from TV's with broken screens!

What's the length of a manufacturer guarantee got to do with it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure