Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 11th Oct 17, 6:45 PM
    • 1,535Posts
    • 734Thanks
    ahai1
    LG Freeview missing channels
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:45 PM
    LG Freeview missing channels 11th Oct 17 at 6:45 PM
    OK first of all let me set the scene we have a number of Freeview televisions in the house.

We also have indoor ariels as the outdoor ariel is not good enough so all our TVs have an indoor ariel connected to them.

On my Freeview TV I can get channels like 4 Music but on the other one I can't get 4 Music along with Channels like Pop, Kix or Pop Max.

The problem seems to be that the Toshiba one which I have can get all the channels but the LG one can't.

I have retuned the TV a number of times and done a factory reset more than once.

The LG TV has not been used for a number of months.
Page 1
    • almillar
    • By almillar 12th Oct 17, 2:20 PM
    • 7,118 Posts
    • 2,862 Thanks
    almillar
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:20 PM
    Freeview (and DAB) is broadcast in multiplexes (mux for short) - a group of channels. It looks like one of your TVs is missing one mux.

You may have a better aerial, or it may be in a better position, or the TV might just have a better tuner.
    Without spending any money on aerials or wiring, move the TV with the channels missing to where the 'good' TV is, and plug it into that aerial. Do a retune on it.
    If the TVs are equal, it will have picked up the missing channels - check them.
    Move the TV back to where it was. Check again. You've now at least got those channels stored, even if the other aerial is too weak to pick them up properly. Now you can decide to put up with it, or move or upgrade the 'second' aerial.
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 12th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    PC World
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    I went there and talked to the man at Know How or whatever it is called and he told me that the area of the house has a weaker signal. I can't move it as it is positioned to the wall. That room has had weak signals on things like mobiles.
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 12th Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:03 PM
    The seond ariel is actually better than the first one.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 12th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    I went there and talked to the man at Know How or whatever it is called
    Probably "Don't know how" Have you taken the good advice to check the LG at the known better aerial socket?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 18,904 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    Have you taken the good advice to check the LG at the known better aerial socket?
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    Answer already provided by the OP;
    I can't move it as it is positioned to the wall.
    Originally posted by ahai1
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 12th Oct 17, 8:17 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:17 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:17 PM
    The channels that I am getting are fine and clear.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 17,480 Posts
    • 11,706 Thanks
    molerat
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    DTV is strange. I have one multiplex that shows weaker than the rest even though it is transmitted at the same strength as the others. You could try and manually tune the missing multiplex.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 12th Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    How do I do that? I have never done it and I no longer have the manual.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 13th Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    • 4,596 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Not all Muxes are transmitted at the same power; For instance, in my region PSB 1,2 & 3 are at 100kW - the rest are at ~ 50kW with the local channels at 10kW .
    In bad weather, my loft aerial struggles to pick up the local channels at all, altho the roof aerial picks everything up.
    With an indoor aerial plus booster, I only get the main TV stations (~ 15 channels) on PSB 1 & 2 - sometimes I even lose these.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 13th Oct 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    giraffe69
    I no longer have the manual.
    You can usually get past manuals on the website of the manufacturer
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 13th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    As a test I tried retuning my Toshiba manually but I gave up as I did not understand how to do it.
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 13th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    I have spent ages on the net and I have never heard this.

Not all Muxes are transmitted at the same power; For instance, in my region PSB 1,2 & 3 are at 100kW - the rest are at ~ 50kW with the local channels at 10kW .
    In bad weather, my loft aerial struggles to pick up the local channels at all, altho the roof aerial picks everything up.
    With an indoor aerial plus booster, I only get the main TV stations (~ 15 channels) on PSB 1 & 2 - sometimes I even lose these.
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 13th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    wongataa
    DTV is strange. I have one multiplex that shows weaker than the rest even though it is transmitted at the same strength as the others.
    Originally posted by molerat
    That could be because the frequency it is broadcast on isn't picked up as well by your aerial. An aerial won't have the same strength reception on all frequencies. You can get wideband aerials designed to be OK for most frequencies used and you can get aerials designed to receive a narrower frequency range very well.
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 13th Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    How do I know the kind of ariel I have?
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 13th Oct 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    I forgot to mention that my Toshiba TV says that services like London Live or Pop Max are no longer broadcasting and would I like to remove them but when I go to the channels they work.

Also sometimes when I go to a channel again this is on my Toshbia it says there is no signal and I have to play around with the arile for a bit.
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 16th Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    Solved
    Moved the indoor ariel a bit and I rescanned and I can get all the channels now,.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Moved the indoor ariel a bit and I rescanned and I can get all the channels now,.
    You're going to have to rescan again shortly, there's a big shake up of the channels coming.
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 16th Oct 17, 8:41 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    The TV should do it automaticllay.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 17th Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    The TV should do it automaticllay.
    Will it?..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

443Posts Today

2,205Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin