SMART meter question.

Options
I have recently moved into a sheltered housing property. The previous tenant received his electricity from EON and his meter was of the SMART variety.
However, I have opted to receive my energy supply from SSE, who provided me with electricity in my previous property.
I have stressed to them I do not want anything to do with SMART meters if they are supplying my electricity, that I require a credit meter where I can take my own readings.
They have replied as follows...

Thank you for your email. The meter will now function as a normal credit meter, although it is a SMART meter , the functions do not work as not one of ours, so it converts to a normal credit meter and we will read the meter twice a year for you, and you can give us reads at anytime, on the phone or online.

Not ever having had anything to do with SMART meters before, I am not sure whether I can be fully comfortable with this answer and I would be grateful if members can share their advice/thoughts.

I noticed this in the Daily Mail, and am wondering if it's just scaremongering or if there is validity in the views and opinions expressed....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-4967794/March-smart-meter-refuseniks.html

Thank you.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have recently moved into a sheltered housing property. The previous tenant received his electricity from EON and his meter was of the SMART variety.
    However, I have opted to receive my energy supply from SSE, who provided me with electricity in my previous property.
    I have stressed to them I do not want anything to do with SMART meters if they are supplying my electricity, that I require a credit meter where I can take my own readings.
    They have replied as follows...

Thank you for your email. The meter will now function as a normal credit meter, although it is a SMART meter , the functions do not work as not one of ours, so it converts to a normal credit meter and we will read the meter twice a year for you, and you can give us reads at anytime, on the phone or online.

Not ever having had anything to do with SMART meters before, I am not sure whether I can be fully comfortable with this answer and I would be grateful if members can share their advice/thoughts.

I noticed this in the Daily Mail, and am wondering if it's just scaremongering or if there is validity in the views and opinions expressed....
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-4967794/March-smart-meter-refuseniks.html

Thank you.

A meter is a meter: it measures the amount of energy that you use. A smart meter also has a communications module that transmits meter data (usage) to a supplier. As you have switched suppliers, then the data/comms module has been disabled. In future, when any meter has reached its end-of-life, suppliers will fit smart meters with the communications module disabled. If the property changes hands, then it is a simple job to re-instate the communications module if it is needed.

As far as the Daily Mail is concerned, it has picked on a few people from the anti-smart brigade. They are entitled to their opinion but there is little basis for their concerns in actual facts. For what it is worth, if I look at my broadband router network page, there are 30 or so networks transmitting in the vicinity of my home. That doesn't include all the mobile networks; TV and smart heating control meshes that are now extremely common.

I wouldn't worry. You should be offered a communications upgrade to your meter by 2020.
  • davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the safety concerns are non-sense however I think the roll out is a pointless waste of money that we are paying for. I already have something which tells me how much I use - my meter. I also have a guide to running costs and am not a moron.

The reality is we are paying for this and, at best, the meters save £23 per year. I can see lots of benefits for the power suppliers and previous few for consumers.

I believe the issue of smart meters not working when you change suppliers is going to be resolved but the fact that nobody is forthcoming with any precise details speak to what an utter farce it has been so far...
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the safety concerns are non-sense however I think the roll out is a pointless waste of money that we are paying for. I already have something which tells me how much I use - my meter. I also have a guide to running costs and am not a moron.

The reality is we are paying for this and, at best, the meters save £23 per year. I can see lots of benefits for the power suppliers and previous few for consumers.

I believe the issue of smart meters not working when you change suppliers is going to be resolved but the fact that nobody is forthcoming with any precise details speak to what an utter farce it has been so far...

The £23 'saving' was reduced to £11 a year by 2020 in the Autumn of last year. The saving is made up of two parts: one, what you could save if you were more energy-saving savvy (for which a smart meter isn't required), and, two, what the industry will save by not having so many power stations on standby (this will require smart meters and 30 minute usage data, and even then it is nothing more an accountant's best guess).
  • caveat_emptor
    Options
    I guess we all watch our smart meters when we cook or put the heating on.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I guess we all watch our smart meters when we cook or put the heating on.

Or even watch the In Home Display

As far as I know a smart meter will only work for the energy supplier who arranged for it to be installed and not any other energy supplier. When energy is switched to a different supplier the smart meter reverts to a manual meter. Therefore for the OP no worries apart from learning how to read the meter.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »

Therefore for the OP no worries apart from learning how to read the meter.

And that going by some of the comments on here can be quite a challenge. Press what you hope is the right button several times and see if you can read it fast enough. What was wrong with looking at a meter & lo & behold there was the reading? Almost like they are trying to discourage us from giving ACTUAL meter readings!
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When you leave E.ON with one (or a pair) of their smart meters, not only do they disable the communication module so It won't work with the new supplier (since the new supplier couldn't access it anyway) they disable it so thoroughly that even if you return to E.ON it can't be re-activated!

Instructions on which buttons to press for a manual reading here. In most cases it's 9, with E7 it's 6.

I read that DM article yesterday, and I can definitively say... its from the Daily Mail.
    I'd give my full opinion but it might get me moderated.

There's no scientific evidence they are harmful to health, but there's always these things for people who are still convinced the smart meter will give them cancer.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • whattochoose
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    And that going by some of the comments on here can be quite a challenge. Press what you hope is the right button several times and see if you can read it fast enough. What was wrong with looking at a meter & lo & behold there was the reading? Almost like they are trying to discourage us from giving ACTUAL meter readings!
    Well said. I have to press button 6 four times and then have a millisecond to view an actual reading.
    OK, slight exaggeration but only slight, and the numerics are not very clear or bright or distinct to read.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Well said. I have to press button 6 four times and then have a millisecond to view an actual reading.
    OK, slight exaggeration but only slight, and the numerics are not very clear or bright or distinct to read.

And if you're looking from slightly above, good luck telling a 1 from a 7 or a 4 from a 9.
    Smart meters are a place that kindle style e-ink displays would be perfect, perhaps in another 20 years...
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Autumnella
    Options
    I dont think there's a supplier out there who will remove your meter and reinstall a legacy meter for you.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family