Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 11th Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    • 314Posts
    • 80Thanks
    whattochoose
    SMART meter question.
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    SMART meter question. 11th Oct 17 at 12:50 PM
    I have recently moved into a sheltered housing property. The previous tenant received his electricity from EON and his meter was of the SMART variety.
    However, I have opted to receive my energy supply from SSE, who provided me with electricity in my previous property.
    I have stressed to them I do not want anything to do with SMART meters if they are supplying my electricity, that I require a credit meter where I can take my own readings.
    They have replied as follows...

Thank you for your email. The meter will now function as a normal credit meter, although it is a SMART meter , the functions do not work as not one of ours, so it converts to a normal credit meter and we will read the meter twice a year for you, and you can give us reads at anytime, on the phone or online.

Not ever having had anything to do with SMART meters before, I am not sure whether I can be fully comfortable with this answer and I would be grateful if members can share their advice/thoughts.

I noticed this in the Daily Mail, and am wondering if it's just scaremongering or if there is validity in the views and opinions expressed....
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-4967794/March-smart-meter-refuseniks.html

Thank you.
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 11th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 4,632 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    I have recently moved into a sheltered housing property. The previous tenant received his electricity from EON and his meter was of the SMART variety.
    However, I have opted to receive my energy supply from SSE, who provided me with electricity in my previous property.
    I have stressed to them I do not want anything to do with SMART meters if they are supplying my electricity, that I require a credit meter where I can take my own readings.
    They have replied as follows...

Thank you for your email. The meter will now function as a normal credit meter, although it is a SMART meter , the functions do not work as not one of ours, so it converts to a normal credit meter and we will read the meter twice a year for you, and you can give us reads at anytime, on the phone or online.

Not ever having had anything to do with SMART meters before, I am not sure whether I can be fully comfortable with this answer and I would be grateful if members can share their advice/thoughts.

I noticed this in the Daily Mail, and am wondering if it's just scaremongering or if there is validity in the views and opinions expressed....
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-4967794/March-smart-meter-refuseniks.html

Thank you.
    Originally posted by whattochoose
    A meter is a meter: it measures the amount of energy that you use. A smart meter also has a communications module that transmits meter data (usage) to a supplier. As you have switched suppliers, then the data/comms module has been disabled. In future, when any meter has reached its end-of-life, suppliers will fit smart meters with the communications module disabled. If the property changes hands, then it is a simple job to re-instate the communications module if it is needed.

As far as the Daily Mail is concerned, it has picked on a few people from the anti-smart brigade. They are entitled to their opinion but there is little basis for their concerns in actual facts. For what it is worth, if I look at my broadband router network page, there are 30 or so networks transmitting in the vicinity of my home. That doesn't include all the mobile networks; TV and smart heating control meshes that are now extremely common.

I wouldn't worry. You should be offered a communications upgrade to your meter by 2020.
    • davidgmmafan
    • By davidgmmafan 11th Oct 17, 2:28 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    davidgmmafan
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:28 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:28 PM
    I think the safety concerns are non-sense however I think the roll out is a pointless waste of money that we are paying for. I already have something which tells me how much I use - my meter. I also have a guide to running costs and am not a moron.

The reality is we are paying for this and, at best, the meters save £23 per year. I can see lots of benefits for the power suppliers and previous few for consumers.

I believe the issue of smart meters not working when you change suppliers is going to be resolved but the fact that nobody is forthcoming with any precise details speak to what an utter farce it has been so far...
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 11th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 4,632 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    I think the safety concerns are non-sense however I think the roll out is a pointless waste of money that we are paying for. I already have something which tells me how much I use - my meter. I also have a guide to running costs and am not a moron.

The reality is we are paying for this and, at best, the meters save £23 per year. I can see lots of benefits for the power suppliers and previous few for consumers.

I believe the issue of smart meters not working when you change suppliers is going to be resolved but the fact that nobody is forthcoming with any precise details speak to what an utter farce it has been so far...
    Originally posted by davidgmmafan
    The £23 'saving' was reduced to £11 a year by 2020 in the Autumn of last year. The saving is made up of two parts: one, what you could save if you were more energy-saving savvy (for which a smart meter isn't required), and, two, what the industry will save by not having so many power stations on standby (this will require smart meters and 30 minute usage data, and even then it is nothing more an accountant's best guess).
    • caveat_emptor
    • By caveat_emptor 11th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    caveat_emptor
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    I guess we all watch our smart meters when we cook or put the heating on.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 12th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    I guess we all watch our smart meters when we cook or put the heating on.
    Originally posted by caveat_emptor
    Or even watch the In Home Display

As far as I know a smart meter will only work for the energy supplier who arranged for it to be installed and not any other energy supplier. When energy is switched to a different supplier the smart meter reverts to a manual meter. Therefore for the OP no worries apart from learning how to read the meter.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 12th Oct 17, 2:08 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:08 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:08 PM

Therefore for the OP no worries apart from learning how to read the meter.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    And that going by some of the comments on here can be quite a challenge. Press what you hope is the right button several times and see if you can read it fast enough. What was wrong with looking at a meter & lo & behold there was the reading? Almost like they are trying to discourage us from giving ACTUAL meter readings!
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 12th Oct 17, 2:46 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:46 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 2:46 PM
    When you leave E.ON with one (or a pair) of their smart meters, not only do they disable the communication module so It won't work with the new supplier (since the new supplier couldn't access it anyway) they disable it so thoroughly that even if you return to E.ON it can't be re-activated!

Instructions on which buttons to press for a manual reading here. In most cases it's 9, with E7 it's 6.

I read that DM article yesterday, and I can definitively say... its from the Daily Mail.
    I'd give my full opinion but it might get me moderated.

There's no scientific evidence they are harmful to health, but there's always these things for people who are still convinced the smart meter will give them cancer.
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 12th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    whattochoose
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    And that going by some of the comments on here can be quite a challenge. Press what you hope is the right button several times and see if you can read it fast enough. What was wrong with looking at a meter & lo & behold there was the reading? Almost like they are trying to discourage us from giving ACTUAL meter readings!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Well said. I have to press button 6 four times and then have a millisecond to view an actual reading.
    OK, slight exaggeration but only slight, and the numerics are not very clear or bright or distinct to read.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 12th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Well said. I have to press button 6 four times and then have a millisecond to view an actual reading.
    OK, slight exaggeration but only slight, and the numerics are not very clear or bright or distinct to read.
    And if you're looking from slightly above, good luck telling a 1 from a 7 or a 4 from a 9.
    Smart meters are a place that kindle style e-ink displays would be perfect, perhaps in another 20 years...
    • Autumnella
    • By Autumnella 12th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    Autumnella
    I dont think there's a supplier out there who will remove your meter and reinstall a legacy meter for you.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 13th Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    mac.d
    This is the only signigicant problem with having a smart meter that's no longer read remotely. Having to read it, either yourself or when a meter reader comes, as they're simply not as easy to read as a standard meter.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 13th Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    nic_c
    This is the only signigicant problem with having a smart meter that's no longer read remotely. Having to read it, either yourself or when a meter reader comes, as they're simply not as easy to read as a standard meter.
    Originally posted by mac.d
    It's also because they turn the remote display off too, so you have to rely on the meter display rather than the remote.
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 13th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    Scottish Power's SM are fine when in dumb mode. IHD works fine and shows meter readings.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Oct 17, 3:35 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    badmemory
    Scottish Power's SM are fine when in dumb mode. IHD works fine and shows meter readings.
    Originally posted by SpotlandRules
    Does it definitely show the gas METER reading not how many Kws have been used?
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 13th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    mac.d
    It's also because they turn the remote display off too, so you have to rely on the meter display rather than the remote.
    Originally posted by nic_c
    True but I'm just saying in comparison to a standard meter, which we've all managed fairly well with up to now, un-connected smart meters are more difficult to read.

IMHO, this is a big negative to getting a smart meter until such times as the smart connectivety to both the supplier and the IHD works immaterial of who you choose to supply your gas/electricity.
    • nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    • By nxdmsandkaskdjaqd 14th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 481 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    What is the name of the Smart Meter?
    • Autumnella
    • By Autumnella 24th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    Autumnella
    Not all Scottish Power's IHD's will work when switching supplier. Occasionally with any Smart meter they still continue to work, but the cost figures won't be accurate as they won't be receiving any tariff updates and will eventually stop working.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 24th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    House Martin
    What is the name of the Smart Meter?
    Originally posted by nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    Eon were originally fitting the very easy to read Landis and Gyr flavoured smart meters but they decided to have no regard for their customers and recently started fitting the cheaper rubbishy USA made Secure Liberty meters.
    These meters make a bad advertisement for smart meters,They are truly god awful meters.
    Anyone with poor sight or mobility are stumped especially when they are tucked away under the stairs, high up or in larders covered by ironing boards etc.This is the reality of where meters are placed in the UK unlike in the USA where they are placed outside and easy to get at. .
    They have a fidgity little keyboard with microscopic buttons and a display which races through umpteen screens at 5 millisecs a screen, most of them may as well be in Mandarin Chinese for all the sense they make. .Eon should understand that most of the UK public are not interested in billings, they do not know what a KWH means so they should be treated like children and given a meter with big numbers which are easy to read..like the superior old analogue meters are.
    Eon accountants are selfish idiots instructing them to start using these meters.They are only fit for use as business meters.Shame on you EON, I hope your customers desert you in droves in retaliation.
    Micro suppliers like Ovo, Utilita can get away with it, but a not big player like Eon.
    Last edited by House Martin; 24-10-2017 at 3:30 PM.
    • philip1701
    • By philip1701 24th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    philip1701
    Recently had a smart meter installed, for the most part I haven't had any problems. However before the install Npower refused to fit the new gas smart meter as the engineer was too lazy to move a tumble dryer out the way to access the boiler, instead said to my partner she'll have to move it or he'll just do the electric. Very rude. Now Npower keep pestering us to provide them with a eletric and gas reading online.. which we can't do since we can't actually 'read' the smart meter and they replaced the old electic meter. Nothing but hassle really.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

270Posts Today

1,123Users online

Martin's Twitter