Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 2,559Posts
    • 2,654Thanks
    LadyDee
    Is my TV on the way out? Now Resolved (post 28)
    • 10th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    Is my TV on the way out? Now Resolved (post 28) 10th Oct 17 at 3:05 PM
    Elderly LG TV (6 years old), so not worth spending out to get it repaired (even if repairable).

I'm having trouble with the sound. Turn on BBC1, no sound. Switch to BBC2 (which has sound) then back to BBC1 and it's OK. It doesn't lose sound whilst I'm watching - it's just when I first select a programme, I have to go to the next one and switch back again to the programme I want to watch. I sometimes have to flick back and forth several times until I get the sound on the programme I want to watch.

It seems to be happening on many, if not all, programmes; and it's the same when using the TV direct through the aerial or through my Humax box.

I've answered my own question really I suppose, but just hoping that somebody can come up a solution?

PROBLEM NOW SOLVED (post no. 28)
    Last edited by LadyDee; 13-10-2017 at 8:45 AM. Reason: Update to post
Page 2
    • GoBoldly
    • By GoBoldly 11th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    GoBoldly
    TV on the way out?
    This happens to me when my Tivo box has been on too long.
    It is no great inconvenience to flick channels
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 2,654 Thanks
    LadyDee
    This happens to me when my Tivo box has been on too long.
    It is no great inconvenience to flick channels
    Originally posted by GoBoldly
    No it's not. However, if I set something to record (bearing in mind the PVR will be on standby) if the programme happens to lose its sound and I get a recording without sound that is an inconvenience.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 11th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 4,288 Posts
    • 5,505 Thanks
    jack_pott
    I do of course know that (my degree included an economics module) - perhaps I should have found a tongue in cheek smiley?
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    It just irritates me that there seem to be so many that do take it seriously, particularly with public vs private expenditure. Most of the public sector is labour intensive, but people still try to paint any growth as some sort of left-wing conspiracy.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 11th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 2,947 Posts
    • 6,753 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Does the TV have sockets for external loudspeakers?

If yes, check to see if the dropping sound problem effects them. If it doesn't, use external speakers or buy an inexpensive new or second hand sound bar.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 11th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 5,154 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    No it's not. However, if I set something to record (bearing in mind the PVR will be on standby) if the programme happens to lose its sound and I get a recording without sound that is an inconvenience.
    If a PVR recording has no sound this is nothing to do with the tv. A PVR will have its own tuner and record direct from the aerial input.

Does the problem continue if the aerial is connected directly to the tv?
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 11-10-2017 at 2:09 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • trigger fish
    • By trigger fish 11th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    trigger fish
    I'd never have another Finlux

From brand new I've spent the last 3 years flexing the screen back and for to get a picture.. You get sound sometimes but no picture-then it gradually comes back. The HDMI slots have all fallen out so we are back on scart.
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 11th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 2,633 Posts
    • 1,549 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    Well it's not really, just irritating. Except of course if I now can't rely on it to get sound when recording then that would be the pits. I might just see if I can pick up a secondhand one - there must be shops that sell used TVs?
    I don't know for sure, but I'd be *very* surprised if the recording has no sound - if there's no sound on playback, it's just the telly not playing it, rather than it being missing from the recording. Playing it later when the sound has come back for a live broadcast will probably restore the sound on the recording too.

(The video and audio are both multiplexed within a single digital container, so I can't see how it could be a problem anywhere in the download / record part, since it will just record the entire stream without looking inside it.)

My previous telly had a similar sort of problem with the sound - the workaround I found was to adjust the volume up then down rather than change channels. (Unfortunately, could be very loud if it recovered while the volume was up high.)

Has anyone suggested using external speakers of some sort ? Either to the telly audio output, or the humax (if it has one). I used to plug it into the old hifi. Some cheap PC speakers from a charity shop would probably do it.
    Last edited by psychic teabag; 11-10-2017 at 5:46 PM.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 13th Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 2,654 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Just a quick update to report that I have not experienced any problems for the last 24 hours - and hoping that that remains the case.

I enlisted the help of a kindly neighbour who read through all the posts here first, then dismantled everything, cleaned all the connections, replaced all the leads and cables, factory reset both TV and the Humax, plugged everything back together again and all is working as it should be.

So instead of shelling out for new TV all it cost me is bottle of plonk for my neighbour.

Many, many thanks for all the helpful tips and advice - much appreciated.
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 13th Oct 17, 12:41 PM
    • 2,633 Posts
    • 1,549 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    That's a slightly unexpected result... when watching a live broadcast on the TV, the audio and video data are arriving down the same digital channel. There wouldn't seem to be any external cables involved in delivering the decoded audio to the (internal) speakers ..?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,142Users online

Martin's Twitter