Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Justwe03
    • By Justwe03 9th Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 45Thanks
    Justwe03
    Huge TC overpayment that's wrong
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    Huge TC overpayment that's wrong 9th Oct 17 at 9:23 PM
    Hi there,

Hoping someone can give me some advice as I've gotten myself in such a state I can't think straight.

I had a childcare audit earlier this year, all fine, sent them all the details, receipts, and statements etc... I'd averaged my childcare out over the year @ £77pw. They edited it slightly to say £55 for a period of 8 weeks the £120pw for the rest of the year. Which I think means I actually underestimated my childcare costs slightly?

But they have also sent me a series notification that I owe £16710.49 in overpaid WTC, CTC and CC, £12k of this for 16/17 and just under £5k for this year so they have stopped all of the payments until April to claw some back.

It says that I have only worked 1 hour per week for the last 2 tax years and that I have sent no evidence of my employment.

I am freaking out, to say the least. The main helpline can't speak to me and the direct dial number I was given hasn't worked for about 5 weeks.

I am a single disabled parent and I just don't know what to do.

I lost my son @ 20ish weeks in March 2017, and have been signed off since. I am returning to work tomorrow, after 28 weeks/6 months. I was signed off by the doctor rather than having maternity he was too young and I had no idea I was pregnant when I lost him.

When I was in hospital my previous manager and assistant manager were sacked and a new person took over, when I originally went to discuss going back after a few weeks the new manager refused to have me back or to sack me (Maternity rights etc) So I went through ACAS to try and resolve the issue.

Again the manager refuses to have me back but won't terminate my employment, we never get wage slips or a contract. Never had a p60 or p45 despite asking when this was going on. The paperwork ACAS managed to get had another employees details on rather than mine! so I called Tax Credits to inform them. As I was working 16 - 18 hours on average my sick notes cover me as working according to the caseworker but she's escalated my claim to someone more senior to sort out.

Anyway, apparently everything is all fine and tax credits keep coming in as if I was still earning, and I can't claim anything else as the tax credits are based on what I was earning so I'm living off those and my small pot of savings.

As it is I am now going back to the same company but a different restaurant tomorrow, temporarily until I start my new job in November.

I sent all my bank statements to show my wages being paid into my account and sent them all the paperwork from ACAS to do with the previous restaurant.

I've always worked the right amount of hours, so this all arriving this morning and I just don't know what to do, the phone number still isn't working, the main phone line can't help me. I have absolutely nothing left and certainly can't magic £17,000 out of anywhere.
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 9th Oct 17, 9:31 PM
    • 4,609 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:31 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:31 PM
    I’m sorry for your loss.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/tax-credits-technical-manual/tctm02421

An employed person is treated as being in qualifying remunerative work for up to 28 weeks, provided that person normally worked at least 16, 24 or 30 hours a week (whichever applied) immediately before beginning to receive any one of these benefits:

- Statutory Sick Pay
    - Short-term Incapacity Benefit at the lower rate
    - Income Support on the grounds of incapacity for work
    - Employment and Support Allowance
    - National Insurance credits on the grounds of incapacity for work or limited capability for work

Did you receive any of those whilst off sick?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,070Posts Today

6,736Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin