Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 1st Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    • 184Posts
    • 193Thanks
    indianabones
    Getting a new born's birth certificate urgently.
    • 1st Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    Getting a new born's birth certificate urgently. 1st Oct 17 at 5:37 PM
    Our due date is Dec 8. We have 2 family (my brothers) weddings abroad which are on the 19th and 20th of December. In an ideal world I would love to have to get a passport and Visa to travel for the baby in that 10 day period. However the problem appears to be the birth certificate. Currently Birmingham Registrar are issuing appointments 3-4 weeks later.

I've emailed and called the office about it but they're not helpful, giving the usual crappy answer wait until the baby is born. Which doesn't help me. If I can get the birth certificate the day after birth or 2nd day after birth I will be able to do the rest on time.

Question is:

Is it possible to get urgent appointments? Perhaps if someone cancels?
    Has anyone been in a similar boat, if so how did you manage?
Page 1
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 1st Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    • 7,532 Posts
    • 26,340 Thanks
    Nicki
    • 1st Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    How do you know the baby will arrive on or before the due date? Unless there are medical reasons why not, he or she could still be on board by 19 December!

Have you checked whether you can register the birth at the hospital? That might speed things up for you, and according to gov.uk this is possible in some parts of the UK.

Also worth checking if you haven't already what the airline rules are. Some airlines won't let you fly until baby is at least 14 days old, and some will need a fit to fly letter for newborns.

I have to confess I wouldn't even contemplate it with a newborn. My third child had medical problems which needed readmitting to hospital and which were only caught during the home visits from the midwives after he was born (he was checked by paediatrician before he left hospital) so I tend to be cautious when they are so young and vulnerable.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 1st Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    usual crappy answer wait until the baby is born.
    Originally posted by indianabones
    Why is that a crappy answer of course they have to wait until the baby is born as they don't know when it will be born!

My son was late, so late I had to be induced. They made me wait 2 weeks to see if he came naturally then I had to ring the hospital every morning to see if they were busy and had time to fit me in! Think it was about three days before they had a place for me.

I then needed a cesarean and was in hospital myself for a week after the birth.

I am afraid your timelines are too tight.
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 01-10-2017 at 9:18 PM.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• sulphate
    • By sulphate 1st Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 3,192 Thanks
    sulphate
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    I agree that your timelines are too tight, you could be late or have problems etc.

Forget the idea and look forward to a Christmas at home with your family.
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 1st Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    indianabones
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    I agree that your timelines are too tight, you could be late or have problems etc.

Forget the idea and look forward to a Christmas at home with your family.
    Originally posted by sulphate

Well I actually think it might be early by a day or two, so maybe the tight timeline may be slightly less tight, I can get the passport, visa and tickets in 5 days, but the key part is the birth certificate. If somehow I got the certificate inside 1/2 days the rest would fall into place.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 1st Oct 17, 9:36 PM
    • 22,518 Posts
    • 56,110 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:36 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:36 PM
    Even if baby did arrive on due date, and you could get a birth certificate next day, you also have to factor in photo of baby; one week fast track passport service involves an appointment; probably cannot get visa without passport ... it's all very tight with only ten days. And as others say, it relies on baby arriving on time or early with no complications.

You'd have to phone your local Registrar to ask whether they have short notice cancellation options. I'd be asking now so that, if computer says no, you don't get your hopes up and start prebooking the passport and visa appointments.

eta. Between 08/12 (birth date) and 19/12 (wedding) there are actually only six working days. Even tighter.
    Last edited by Tigsteroonie; 01-10-2017 at 9:39 PM.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 1st Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    Well I actually think it might be early by a day or two
    I am sorry but you have no way of knowing that especially at this stage. Nearer the time the midwife might be able to tell you if baby is in the right direction and ready, but its still no guarantee, it will come when its ready.

I suspect at the time if you explain the situation and urgency the registry office will mange to squeeze you in, the people working there are human and I am sure they will try to help where possible.

You might want to think about getting travel insurance quotes for a baby that young now just to see if it is available and the cost.
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 1st Oct 17, 11:05 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    • 1st Oct 17, 11:05 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 11:05 PM
    In answer to your question - what about registering the baby in another area? We got an appointment the same day I phoned. Not sure if this is allowed but I would presume so?

In practical terms, I have to agree. It's very risky taking such a young baby away when mum will be in recovery and baby will be very vulnerable. Maybe best to set up a Skype call to be at the wedding. A lot could happen before then though. Nothing is planned or guaranteed when it comes to having children.
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 2nd Oct 17, 8:40 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    indianabones
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:40 AM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:40 AM
    Thanks for the input everyone.

The doctors have said it's pretty safe to travel with a new born provided the baby is healthy and they can usually tell this within a few hours. New born babies will usually sleep the entire flight anyway is what the midwife said.

I know it's a tight schedule, I'm not even going to pretend the chances are good. But if it's even slightly possible I'm going to try. It would be devastating for my young daughter to not go to her uncle's weddings, she's been going on and on about it for months now.

"In answer to your question - what about registering the baby in another area? "

Other areas are much quicker than Birmingham, which not surprisingly appears to be the worst in terms of appointment dates. However if the baby is born in Birmingham then even if you book and appointment in another area, it still has to be passed to the Birmingham office to be registered. Well at least that's my understanding.

Since the Halycon and the City Hospital in Birmingham are the same distance from home, we might go to the Halycon this time.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 2nd Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 18,627 Posts
    • 42,798 Thanks
    peachyprice
    It would be devastating for my young daughter to not go to her uncle's weddings, she's been going on and on about it for months now.
    Why would your daughter have to miss her uncle's wedding?

Nothing wrong with dad taking your daughter and the baby staying at home with it's mother.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • pjcox2005
    • By pjcox2005 2nd Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    pjcox2005
    Why would your daughter have to miss her uncle's wedding?

Nothing wrong with dad taking your daughter and the baby staying at home with it's mother.
    Originally posted by peachyprice

No, but it's pretty understandable that if possible all the family would want to be together, so if they get the all clear, mum is in agreement etc, then why would you not prepare as best you could for the tight timeframe.

No specifics to add but surprised by comments. Think for passports you can get same day appointments now if willing to drive, not sure how you can speed up the birth certificate point apart from perhaps trying to speak at the registry office about the situation in person.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 2nd Oct 17, 4:55 PM
    • 9,218 Posts
    • 57,749 Thanks
    LEJC
    I'm very confused with this thread...have you actually booked all the flights etc....and in that case what have you done about informing the airline that you will be travelling with a baby....I understand a seat won't be allocated but surely they need to know details and if those details are not already in place they may charge for an amendment to the booking.....

If your medical team are confident that your unborn child is not at risk then have they perhaps suggested an earlier induction...

I think that perhaps you need to stop thinking about "the wedding" and perhaps concentrate on the birth of your new child...if everything fits into place then go for it by all means ...but babies come when they are ready and sometimes thats not always at the best planned moments.

of course your daughter can still go to the wedding,with your husband...but she may miss out on some wonderful bonding time with her new sibling also....choices,choices.

I am sure your brothers and their new wives will understand completely why you may not be there....its also a wonderful excuse for them to visit you when everything settles down,see their new neice or nephew and perhaps have a dress up in their wedding clothes for your daughter too.....
    frugal October...£37.39 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 143 out 121 in ...£14.92 spend
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 2nd Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 2,207 Thanks
    unforeseen
    You really need to check with the airline that you plan to fly with. Some insist baby must be at least 2 weeks old.
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 2nd Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    indianabones
    Originally posted by peachyprice

Hubby is awesome, I've said to him he should go with our daughter if we can't all go together, his response is, we either all go together as a family, or we don't go at all. He wouldn't be able to focus on the wedding because we'd be constantly on his mind.

@LEJC. We haven't booked the tickets. We will be booking tickets closer to the time once we are in a position to.

@Unforseen. Airlines has no issues with new-born travelling providing the GP issues a safe to fly letter. We have multiple choices for airlines anyway, that's not really a concern.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 2nd Oct 17, 9:50 PM
    • 18,627 Posts
    • 42,798 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Think for passports you can get same day appointments now if willing to drive,
    Originally posted by pjcox2005
    No, you can't for a child's first passport, the quickest service you can use is fast track, which takes 1 week.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 3rd Oct 17, 9:47 AM
    • 9,218 Posts
    • 57,749 Thanks
    LEJC

@LEJC. We haven't booked the tickets. We will be booking tickets closer to the time once we are in a position to.

Flying within a week of christmas and you've not booked tickets yet.....good luck with that!
    frugal October...£37.39 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 143 out 121 in ...£14.92 spend
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 3rd Oct 17, 12:23 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    honestly - I would send your daughter with her dad and grandparents and skype the wedding. That close to the birth is going to be very difficult to manage. If baby comes early then re evaluate but prepare for not going and prepare your daughter for you not going.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 3rd Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    In my area urgent appointments are reserved for stillbirths.

Please keep this in perspective. Your issue is not urgent. You should book a normal appt.
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 3rd Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    What country is it? You seem set on the idea so I hope it does work out for you but I would make sure you are up to date with medical insurance and aware about where the nearest hospital is. From a bereaved mum that took a healthy full term baby home, things can change very quickly with new born's, no matter how healthy they were at the last check from a midwife or health visitor.
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 4th Oct 17, 8:14 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    indianabones
    What country is it?
    Originally posted by sweetilemon
    I'm really sorry to hear that.

India. We have family there, in fact most of our relatives are there, so finding hospitals and being taken care of won't be an issue.

Realistically I don't think we'll be able to go anyway, time won't be on our side.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,298Posts Today

8,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin