Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 29th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 7,890Posts
    • 1,834Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Metacam
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    Metacam 29th Sep 17 at 12:02 PM
    We have just had our 13 year old cat - at the vets for dental work (cleaning teeth and removing 3 teeth !)
    He was done, yesterday and today - he has been started on a course of Metacam pain killers
    He doesn't appear to be in any discomfort at the moment.
    We have experience of the side effects of Metacam from another cat - who was put on the same drug by the same vet - he was extremely sick and we stopped the drug !
    Why do vets insist on using the same drug without looking in to history of patients owners ?
    There must be an alternative drug that we can use ?
    Any advice welcome
Page 2
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 9th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 11,998 Thanks
    krlyr
    Just google "Metacam problems cats" and tell me that this is an uncommon problem ?
    From a US report http://www.optimumchoices.com/images/MetacamRisksInCats.pdf
    Metacam Oral,
    which summarize drug side effects reported by veterinarians.
    Of 842 reports for dogs, 19 cases of kidney failure and no
    deaths were reported. However in 320 cats, 105 cases of
    kidney failure, 48 deaths and 35 cases resulting in euthanasia
    have been reported. This clearly indicates that Metacam poses
    a much greater risk in cats than in dogs

This is far FAR higher than 1%
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Those will be reported cases of side effects. No one's going to report the fact that their cat went on it with no side effects.

One of the listed side effects of paracetamol, often taken for headaches, is that it can cause headaches. Does that mean you should never take paracetamol?

Yes, medication can have side effects. Yes, long-term medication use can have more side effects. I am happy to experiment with herbal treatments for some of my pets' ailments...but only after vet consultation and having done my research. Perhaps consider seeing a homeopathic vet happy to prescribe herbal alternatives, if you're that concerned (but then you run the risk of being prescribed homeopathetic remedies that do not address the issue - I personally don't believe in homeopathy having any efficiency), or maybe even do some studying into alternative medicines for cats yourself.
    • Moneybutterfly35
    • By Moneybutterfly35 25th Oct 17, 9:00 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Moneybutterfly35
    My dog was sick and had to change to Loxicom which is much better. I pay for a prescription then buy from viovet and find this is cheaper plus I build up points to get money off.
    #583 (#244 EF challenge)
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 26th Oct 17, 1:07 PM
    • 7,890 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    My dog was sick and had to change to Loxicom which is much better. I pay for a prescription then buy from viovet and find this is cheaper plus I build up points to get money off.
    Originally posted by Moneybutterfly35
    I wondered about getting meds from other sources...
    How much does the prescription cost and do you need a prescription EVERY time after this first one ?
    Our 4 days of Metacam cost £30 !! - which is an absolute ripoff.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 26th Oct 17, 8:10 PM
    • 3,971 Posts
    • 2,955 Thanks
    sheramber
    I wondered about getting meds from other sources...
    How much does the prescription cost and do you need a prescription EVERY time after this first one ?
    Our 4 days of Metacam cost £30 !! - which is an absolute ripoff.
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Your veterinary surgery will have their own a price for a prescription. There is not set charge.

You could phone and ask them.

You still need to see a vet tog et the first prescription so a consultation charge will be due plus the cost of the prescription. So your £30 would represent a consultation charge and the cost of the Metacam. You should be given a detailed receipt showing how the charge is made up. If you do not get one, ask for it.

If the treatment is ongoing the vet can issue a prescription for more than one month but must see your pet a regular intervals- maybe every 3 months or 6 months depending on th condition and how stable it is.

So you could pay a consultation charge for a one off treatment or a consultation charge to cover 3 or 6 months depending on how often the vet wants to see your pet.

So you need to know
    What your vets charge for a consultation:
    What does your vet charge to issue a prescription:
    What is the cost of the medicine online.

and compare with the cost the vet charges for supplying the medicine.

Also, remember you need to wait for the medicine to be delivered if ordering online so your pet does not et the benefit of the medicine right away.

So, it is probably not appropriate for a one of treatment.

It is more for ongoing treatment for continuing conditions.

e
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,666Users online

Martin's Twitter