Start-up taking off, what do I do about a phone line with a simple/memorable number?

Options
Can I link an 0845 or other number to my current mobile? Is it worth me getting a business line connected to my home number?
I'm currently with Sky at home and O2 mobile, and would like to not pay the earth for what is going to be a few incoming calls. Thanks

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I link an 0845 or other number to my current mobile? Is it worth me getting a business line connected to my home number?
    I'm currently with Sky at home and O2 mobile, and would like to not pay the earth for what is going to be a few incoming calls. Thanks

Look into a VOIP number, it can be accessed via a mobile or an internet phone. Most VOIP providers will provide memorable numbers. I use Sipgate and they have been extremely reliable in the time I’ve used them. I then use Zoiper to make and receive calls from that number on my mobile.

http://www.sipgate.co.uk

I would suggest steering clear of 0845, many people will not phone it and if you are selling something you are required to have a standard rated number or free number for customer service calls.
    ====
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 September 2017 at 11:58PM
    Options
    All non-geographic numbers (03, 08 or 09) simply forward calls on to some other number. This can be a landline number, mobile number, another non-geographic number or an international number. Calls can also be forwarded to a VoIP connection. The called party can change the destination at will or can set up various IVR options for the caller to select. Where the call is forwarded to has no implication for the caller, but the number the caller calls can make a huge difference to what they pay.

It sounds like you need an 03 number. Callers pay exactly the same to call 03 numbers as they pay to call 01 and 02 numbers. For most people this means the call is inclusive in their allowance and therefore attracts no charge for the call. This is the type of number that you will most likely want to use. It does mean you will have to pay the call-forwarding charges but for calls forwarded to a UK landline or mobile number this need not be any more than a fraction of a penny per minute.

Various telecoms providers provide a variety of numbers starting 033 that can be used by anyone. There's usually a one-time set-up fee, with the fee increasing depending on how memorable the number is. If you want a number in a specific 01 or 02 geographic area code, this is known as a 'virtual geographic number' and can forward calls in much the same way as an 03 number with the same sort of cost implications for callers and for you.

You could also consider an 0800 or 0808 number. These are free-to-caller from landlines and mobiles. However, not only will you have to pay the call-forwarding costs, you will also have to pay a Call Origination Fee to the caller's phone provider. This can be up to 3p per minute for incoming calls from landlines, up to 8p per minute for incoming calls from mobiles, or around 80p per minute (the payphone levy) for incoming calls from BT payphones.

As most people incur no charge per call when calling 01, 02 and 03 numbers there is generally no need to go to the additional expense of having an 080 number - unless you want every caller to pay absolutely nothing for the call and use none of their allowance.

Many telecoms providers will try to get you to adopt an 084 or 087 number. They will offer free call-forwarding and maybe even a small revenue share payout. Make no mistake - This is funded by imposing additional charges on callers. These calls are excluded from inclusive allowances. Calls to 084 numbers can cost up to 20p per minute from landlines or up to 62p per minute from mobiles. Calls to 087 numbers can cost up to 26p per minute from landlines or up to 68p per minute from mobiles. For sales lines this is a well-known 'sales prevention technique'. Additionally be aware that since 13 June 2014 it has been illegal to offer an 084, 087 or 09 number for after-sales enquires and issues. Absolutely do NOT get an 084 or 087 number.

See also:
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/contacting-08-and-03-numbers
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5437763
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5292529
  • d123
    Options
    Though a VOIP number would have no call forwarding costs, I can receive calls on my VOIP 01xx number for free on both my home phone (a standard POTS cordless connected to a Linksys PAP2T) as well as my mobile phone using the Zoiper app.

I can also call out on both devices for 1p per minute to 01/02/03 (both devices present my 01xx number in CLI as well).

An 01/02 number is free from Sipgate and an 03 is around £3 per month iirc.

Far better plan that a call forwarding number.
    ====
  • Ian011
    edited 12 September 2017 at 11:58PM
    Options
    Yes, there are two choices to be made, and they are in some ways separate choices and in other ways they are related.

One choice is the number you want to advertise to callers for them to contact you on. This choice directly affects what callers will pay for the call as well as having some cost implications for you.

The other is how you want to get those calls delivered to wherever you are. This could be by simply forwarding them or they could be delivered via a VoIP connection. This has cost implications only for you.
  • d123
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »
    Yes, there are two choices to be made, and they are in some ways separate choices and in other ways they are related.

One choice is the number you want to advertise to callers for them to contact you on. This choice directly affects what callers will pay for the call as well as having some cost implications for you.

The other is how you want to get those calls delivered to wherever you are. This could be by simply forwarding them or they could be delivered via a VoIP connection. This has cost implications only for you.

Though of course the incoming calls delivery by VOIP with a 01 or 02 number has a zero cost implication as it’s free, Ian.

https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk

;)
    ====
  • Ian011
    Options
    I wonder what their logic in charging £3 per month for having an 03 number is? They are already receiving a higher termination fee on 03 numbers than they are on 01 and 02 numbers.
  • d123
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »
    I wonder what their logic in charging £3 per month for having an 03 number is? They are already receiving a higher termination fee on 03 numbers than they are on 01 and 02 numbers.

That was a different company, the basic Sipgate plan is 01 or 02 and I googled and found a company the advertised 03.

This was where I saw it:
    https://www.voiptalk.org/products/0330+Telephone+Number

I’ve been running my Sipgate number alongside the Virgin POTS (with all calls going out on the Sipgate line due to cheaper costs)and it’s just as reliable. If I didn’t have Virgin cable I’d have ditched the Virgin line by now.

Both lines are on BT 8500 cordless DECT phones, the only difference is the Linksys PAPT adapter to allow the DECT phone to connect to VOIP.
    ====
  • Thank you for your comments, really helpful and will look into this today!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure