Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Could you live without cash?

Yes

41.26% • 59 votes

No

58.74% • 84 votes

You may not vote on this poll

143 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 12th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 8,464Posts
    • 20,701Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Could you live without cash?
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    Could you live without cash? 12th Sep 17 at 12:03 PM

Hi everyone!

The BBC thinks Sweden is coming close to being a cashless society.

Do you think that would work in the UK?

Could you live without cash?

Could your kids? Do they need to learn about all money including coins?

Do you think it's inevitable we'll eventually go cashless?

What do you use coins for now that you don't think you could do without if they didn't exist?

Why Sweden is close to becoming a cashless economy

Related on MoneySavingExpert:

Cashback Credit Cards

Pension Credit - are you missing out on free cash?

Best Bank Accounts - £125 bonus or 5% interest
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-09-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 9,521 Posts
    • 12,007 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Went in two pubs the other night, both saying 'cash only' as the machines had broke.

What then? Close for the night?

Even the Oyster card machine on the bus doesn't always work - I had a free ride this morning actually.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 12,715 Posts
    • 16,899 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    No. There still several things that I have to pay for where there is no other alternative, other than a cheque and they are a real pain for all involved.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 12th Sep 17, 4:25 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    BBH123
    I couldnt go cashless easily as I like to budget by taking out the cash I want to spend that week, if it was contactless or card I'd lose track.

As others have said I have to pay the farrier and hayman in cash as they simply dont have card machines with which to take payment. Our local takeaways also have minimum spend and extra cost to pay by card.

The excitement when you give some cash in a birthday / Christmas card would also be lost.
    • ManAtHome
    • By ManAtHome 12th Sep 17, 4:25 PM
    • 8,168 Posts
    • 5,300 Thanks
    ManAtHome
    The BBC may suggest that Sweden will be going cashless but five minutes searching suggest that there are a lot of Swedes that don't want to.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    With the Swedish Central Bank (Riksbank) rate at minus 0.5% perhaps they've seen some writing on some walls..?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 13,433 Posts
    • 36,608 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    The BBC may suggest that Sweden will be going cashless but five minutes searching suggest that there are a lot of Swedes that don't want to.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    Not to forget that some Swedes are starting to get "chipped" personally (ie microchip implanted into them) - so they can unlock doors at work/travel on some public transport/etc.

There is absolutely zero chance I'd ever let anyone near me with that intention in mind - no matter what the reason/excuse of it making life easier for me. One does wonder whether voluntary "chipping" would go on to become compulsory at some point - in which case I'd want to know how much a private doctor would charge to cut it back out again and put it in a tiny carry-round box (to be carried around only IF and when I personally decided to) and what would happen if that box got lost or stolen?
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 12th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 5,051 Posts
    • 52,391 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    I love cash.

I like having it in my wallet and I like my pot of coins.

I'm also convinced that I spend less when I use cash.

And for children, cash for pocket money is great and as a gift it means more than a giftcard. My grandkids love having their own money.

I do use my cards quite often, but I get irritated by the inevitable accumulation of card receipts in my bag, whereas a cash receipt can be checked and binned immediately. Bonus.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 71.48

• hunters
    • By hunters 12th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    hunters
    Only use cash once a week for a lunch date as I need a £1 coin for parking. Everything else is paid using my phone which also gains me cash back I have my spark/joiners bank details and using the app on my phone he is paid before he leaves the house
    Last edited by hunters; 12-09-2017 at 5:28 PM.
    • ConsumerMatt
    • By ConsumerMatt 12th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    ConsumerMatt
    I could personally. Everything is paid for with my debit card these days. In fact I had 3 £20 notes in my wallet for at least 6 months this year. I forgot the cash was even in there. The only times I've used cash recently was trying to get rid of my odd old style pound coins. It's more often there will be a receipts in the note section of my wallet than cash notes.

I appreciate it would be difficult for some though. I get paid monthly into my bank account so I'm OK. Others haven't got that luxury or would have to set up electronic payment and encourage customers to use those payment methods (tradesmen for example). Plus you have tourists. Either people that may get ripped off by their bank for overseas card charges or even those from countries where cards aren't the norm. Also what about the travelling community in the UK?

I think going cash free now would be awkward and cause unnecessary distress. I think it will happen but it's slightly too early. The news from Sweden should probably prompt an extended period of promotion and developments to work towards a cash free future.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    • 37,663 Posts
    • 33,978 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I could go almost cash free, but in the last week both the local cinema and the emergency dentist have been unable to process card payments - with the cinema it was both online and in person, whereas with the dentist it was a problem with their phones so I could pay by card in person but not over the phone. There was also a problem in the local Coop last night, but not affecting us, the cashier said they'd all been twiddling their thumbs earlier as the tills completely packed up.

So it's all great, until something goes wrong!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • Jamiehelsinki
    • By Jamiehelsinki 12th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Jamiehelsinki
    I like cash but think the opposite would be good for the country.

Isn't there a new law on no fees for card purchases coming in soon?

A few plus points,

A lot less tax avoidance should mean more tax raised, less benefit claims when working for cash in hand. It would kill the black economy. Drug deals would be more difficult etc. Selling stolen goods would have a paper trail.

My mum was from Finland so have visited there frequently over the years, they have always been in front of us with debit cards etc. I remember people paying for one drink at the bar with a debit card a very long time ago when we were only using them for big transactions over here.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 12th Sep 17, 6:13 PM
    • 12,253 Posts
    • 10,180 Thanks
    zagfles
    I use cards as much as possible, but I also frequently use cash because I use local independent shops. It would cost the local bakery and greengrocers a fortune to take cards because most of their transactions are a few pounds. I wonder if Swedish businesses don't have to pay the card fees businesses do here, or whether they have some other alternative that means the profit on a small transaction doesn't get wiped out by fees?
    Originally posted by Hermia
    I think their charges for cash (paying in at banks etc) are similar or higher than card fees. You can get cashback on credit cards in Sweden, only country I know where that happens. (the transaction is put through as a purchase not a cash advance). Here it's rare as it costs the retailer more to process a credit card transaction.
    • mark5
    • By mark5 12th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    mark5
    It would be good if all tradesmen, self employed etc would have to be paid by card, bank transfer etc.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 12th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    boliston
    i was in berlin recently and there they still seem really keen on using cash! quite a lot of eating places are cash only, and apparently they have only just started accepting credit cards on the metro. the uk seems ahead of germany when it comes to being cashless even though everything in germany seems so efficient compared with the uk.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 12th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 2,097 Thanks
    coffeehound
    I need to use cash for the bus and for the launderette (still need old pound coins for some of the machines!)
    • borkid
    • By borkid 12th Sep 17, 8:04 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 2,801 Thanks
    borkid
    I use cards as much as possible, but I also frequently use cash because I use local independent shops. It would cost the local bakery and greengrocers a fortune to take cards because most of their transactions are a few pounds. I wonder if Swedish businesses don't have to pay the card fees businesses do here, or whether they have some other alternative that means the profit on a small transaction doesn't get wiped out by fees?
    Originally posted by Hermia
    Agree with the above and all the small change I get ie copper and 5p go into the charity box on the counter. I suspect this is a good source of income for them.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 12th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 22,496 Posts
    • 56,057 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    How would the tooth fairy leave their money? An IOU with a credit later to the child's bank account? Talk about sucking the fun out of a loose tooth
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • globetraveller
    • By globetraveller 12th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 11,834 Thanks
    globetraveller
    So what happens if power goes down?
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
    • copperclock
    • By copperclock 12th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    copperclock
    Yes, I could live without cash. I barely use any at all.

I pay my window cleaner by bank transfer on my phone while he's still working.

I pay my mobile beautician and my hairdresser the same way.

I pay parking by text.

I pay one of my children's schools using their online systems. The other one still requires cheques but I am hoping that this will change.

My tiny local shop takes has no minimum payment for cards (used to)

I occasionally get a hot chocolate at my evening class, which I pay for with my card or my phone (android pay) if I don't have my wallet on me

My teenagers rarely use cash either - we transfer pocket money straight into their bank accounts and they either use their debit cards in shops or, more often, to buy things online

I'd love a completely cash free society.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 12th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I like having a few notes in my purse, its reassuring. There have been times that every cash machine I've been to has been down or internet banking doesn't work etc. Good to have cash just in case.
    There are times cash is useful - collections at work / church etc. When you give your child a few pounds to take to the school disco or to put a coin in a trolley!
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 12th Sep 17, 10:57 PM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 2,525 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Collection/sweeps/savings in work.

My food budget is draw out £100 a month and use that.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 12-09-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

59Posts Today

3,492Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin