Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Parisian
    • By Parisian 11th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 390Posts
    • 1,856Thanks
    Parisian
    St Bernard's Gate, Hanwell, UB1 UB2
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    St Bernard's Gate, Hanwell, UB1 UB2 11th Sep 17 at 6:58 PM
    Hii everybody,

Has anyone here purchased an off-plan property at St Bernard's Gate, Hanwell?

I reserved a 1 bed flat in December 2016, and upon exchanging was given the date of April 30th for completion.

There has now been a long delay, with little information from the developer Catalyst. There has been no formal written information from Catalyst, however I have been speaking to the selling agent and my solicitor and there appears to be an issue with drainage, ground rent fee's (it doubles every 20 years) and service charge finalisation.

The main issue appears to be the drainage - they are connected to the Ealing Hospital/ West London NHS Trust drainage next door and I have been told that they have not secured full legal authority to do so yet. If they do not secure this, then I am assuming other work may need to be done.

Has anyone else purchased here, too? I thought it would be good for us to come together as I am sure there are quite a few as concerned as I am. Please respond here, or register and respond if you are finding this on a google search.

Page 2
    • Parisian
    • By Parisian 21st Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    Parisian
    ps. Sorry to hear about your situation BR83, that sounds really awful!
    • pejmason
    • By pejmason 25th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pejmason
    Hi all,
    I am also in the same boat. Reserved 6 months ago with the promise of an exchange fairly quickly, however this is turning into a longstanding nightmare. It is now three months to the day that Catalyst issued contracts that they expected me to sign on notice, which I have held off doing until a confirmed completion date.
    As it happens, I am one of the three councillors elected to represent the area south of Hanwell station, and am in the council's cabinet. I am trying to be incredibly careful about not crossing ethical lines to get this moving.
    I've been approached by a few people in the area who are buying and are particularly concerned about not meeting the Ealing schools admissions deadline in January, and others who have moved into temporary accommodation because of either having to sell within a chain, or because of tenancies coming to an end.
    I am making some progress getting to the bottom of what is going on, and what more the NHS trusts need to do to progress this. It would be incredibly helpful if I had some more examples of how this is affecting people, as well as linking us all up.
    I'd be very grateful if those on the thread could plug me into the loop and I can update likewise.
    • Parisian
    • By Parisian 25th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    Parisian
    Hii pejmason,

Very good to hear from you. There are a group of us who have formed and are talking. Are you on Facebook? If yes, could you email Cain on cain@blackwolfcigarclub.com He can add you to the private group, as he has admin rights. It would be good to speak more there.
    • pejmason
    • By pejmason 30th Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pejmason
    Hi all,
    I've made some progress. Not yet a member of the Facebook group (do I need to be invited?) but have some good news to share. My email for facebook is pejmason@gmail.com
    • Sweet_peas
    • By Sweet_peas 30th Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sweet_peas
    Hi everyone,

I am also in the (paused) process of purchasing a flat at St Bernards Gate. From my recent talks with both my solicitor and Catalyst staff, the drainage problems are basically stuck in bureaucracy for the foreseeable future. Very glad I didn't put notice on my current flat!

Chris originally told me August-September, which is interesting given what some other members have said they were told.
    • pejmason
    • By pejmason 30th Oct 17, 8:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pejmason
    Update:
    Over the past week I have spoken to senior execs at both West London Mental Health Trust, as well as in Catalyst.
    The legal easement works over the sewage pipe that runs through the site were finally done last week. Deeds have been signed and this is now clear.
    Catalyst told me today that they will begin releasing contracts for exchange from next Monday for block 2 (Ellis) and then a little later for block 2 (Connolly). Our solicitors should have now received an updated service charge schedule, which will also go to our lenders for those of us needing a mortgage.
    Theoretically at least this should mean that move dates could happen in November.
    I am happy to keep anyone posted on what progress I make.
    Very best,
    Peter
    • David_Nelson
    • By David_Nelson 6th Nov 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    David_Nelson
    Anybody had an update today on exchange??
    • conyek
    • By conyek 21st Nov 17, 10:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    conyek
    Hi all

I've just found this thread and would like to connect with you all as I am and have been in the same position as you since Feb this year.

Thanks
    Chike
    • Patchara
    • By Patchara 1st Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Patchara
    St Bernards Facebook add request
    Hi Cain

Can you add me to your Facebook group please. My Husband and I purchased in August and are about to start posting our findings.

Pat & Norman
    • Patchara
    • By Patchara 1st Dec 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Patchara
    The waiting game....!!
    Hi All

Great to find this thread and know we are not alone!. My husband and I purchased in August 2017 and were expecting completion in September in Connolly (Pemberton) house.
    After a multitude of email and phone conversations our Agent (very helpful) advised that the agreement on drainage/sewage with Ealing Hospital had been completed and we were expected to complete in Jan 2018.
    However, I think this drainage question may have been a smokescreen to hide the fact that the building work is still not completed. We went along to the Sales Office a couple of times. A few weeks ago we were lucky enough to find a couple of temp staff who found keys and took us round a mirror image of our apartment but this was in Ellis House. I noticed a couple of things which were unfinished;
    The Car Park bays were not numbered
    Security viewers on the apartment doors were not present
    I don't recall seeing the charging points in the car park bays

As Ellis House build is completing before Connolly, I imagine we may still be waiting after January...!! At least we were able to get in and measure up windows doors etc.

BTW in the contract I believe there is a clause which says everything must complete by 31st Dec 2018 or money back. I am sincerely hoping it never comes to that as I would imagine they would just liquidate and we would lose our deposit? I do believe that the incentive of completion (full funding) should spur them on but it won't harm for us to keep the pressure on agents, solicitors, Catalyst as a group.

After looking at the building, I am a little confused as to some of the systems for electricity, heating, phone, internet.

Electricity - There appeared to be a central cupboard in the hallway for all the meters on the floor.

Heating - I believe this is a central gas boiler augmented by solar panels on the roof. Looking at the kit involved in a cupboard in the hallway I am not sure how it works.

Phone - Saw standard phone points and imagine internet routers can be run off those as normal

Internet - There is apparently some superfast fibre option available, which I investigated online but I believe it comes as internet only i.e. no TV add on deals.

The storage cupboard in our apartment seems quite spacious but that space is interrupted on one wall by a large fuse box array. On the other wall was a lot of other kit which we were unable to establish the purpose of. You may need some decking stain for the balcony as they are composed of standard decking boards on a metal under frame.

We were also disappointed by the postcode issue, as we wanted to live in London but it appears we will be living in Uxbridge! It is most definitely a breach of the advertising code of practice but I am unsure if it is a civil legal matter that could be chased in the courts for compensation. Your views? All in all the apartment although small appeared light and pleasant. It would be nice to think that we could move in to it someday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin