Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • serenity2012
    • By serenity2012 5th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,705Posts
    • 94,315Thanks
    serenity2012
    twitter shadowban
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    twitter shadowban 5th Sep 17 at 9:24 PM
    Lots of people are being shadowbanned on twitter recently. Just found by a search that I am too but no idea what it means. Does anyone know? Does it mean all the comps i've done there and retweets are not showing to comp runners? Can't find much info on it but if its messing about with my account i'll close it.

Here's a link to see if you are shadowbanned

http://www.shadowban.de/tester/
    August-September 2017: Lots of stuff
Page 1
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 5th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 4,169 Posts
    • 152,087 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    There was a thread on here a couple of months ago about it.

Here is the thread. It starts off about twitter being locked, but goes on to discuss filtering and shadowbanning.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5675095
    Last edited by Marg2k8; 05-09-2017 at 9:29 PM.

• serenity2012
    • By serenity2012 5th Sep 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 94,315 Thanks
    serenity2012
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:47 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:47 PM
    thanks hun xx
    August-September 2017: Lots of stuff
    • chickaroonee
    • By chickaroonee 5th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 14,376 Posts
    • 1,121,784 Thanks
    chickaroonee
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    think I am too! Never win on twitter but do for RC/gleam comps so who knows.

too many comps..not enough time!
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 5th Sep 17, 10:02 PM
    • 4,169 Posts
    • 152,087 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:02 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:02 PM
    I found out I was, when I tried the suggestions in the earlier thread, so now tend to follow the advice to spread out tweets more now and whereas in the past, I would happily have retweeted lots of comps for £10 vouchers or a box of chocs, I am now more selective about what I enter.

• chickaroonee
    • By chickaroonee 5th Sep 17, 10:32 PM
    • 14,376 Posts
    • 1,121,784 Thanks
    chickaroonee
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:32 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 10:32 PM
    Did that help Marg? I don't enter that many follow and rt comps really, but do tweet a lot for RC/gleam comps, so I wonder if it's that that has got me? I think it's happened in the last day or so though, guessing they're having a crackdown!!

Still seem to win on the rafflecopter/gleam comps though, so hoping that continues!

• Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 6th Sep 17, 7:21 AM
    • 4,169 Posts
    • 152,087 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:21 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:21 AM
    Did that help Marg? I don't enter that many follow and rt comps really, but do tweet a lot for RC/gleam comps, so I wonder if it's that that has got me? I think it's happened in the last day or so though, guessing they're having a crackdown!!

Still seem to win on the rafflecopter/gleam comps though, so hoping that continues!
    Originally posted by chickaroonee
    I'm not really sure, but since then I did actually have a win on the Pringles twitter comp where there were lots of winners. I notice more people now retweeting my tweets etc, so they must be getting more exposure. I guess with R/C, since you put a link to your tweet, they must be able to see it by using the direct link, even if you are shadowbanned, but I don't really know. Likewise with gleam, you are awarded an entry simply by clicking the tweet button.

• lynwestie
    • By lynwestie 6th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    lynwestie
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    Mine seems to be knackered too! funny because my friend mentioned yesterday she wasn't getting notifications of mentions from me but she could see them on my page/her list. It was fine the day before.

Still the same this morning, we've checked

Not sure how long it's been going on. I've still had wins on Twitter but not as many as I was getting. I'd put that down to good luck or not! Not had a raff win in a while though

Seems to be just the notifications though. She can see my replies on the comps. I'm confused.
    Last edited by lynwestie; 06-09-2017 at 8:19 AM.
    • xxme2uxx
    • By xxme2uxx 6th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    xxme2uxx
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    im really !!!!ed off about it specially because twitter couldnt evan be arsed to tell me
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 6th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 23,310 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    I have sent them a contact about this, Will report back, I have had 2 wins even thou i am shadowban but i have entered last minute on them.
    Nov Wins: Quick card Leana Creatief set, Take a break afternoon for 2, Only Fools & Horses DVD Box Set, Chicken DVD, £50 cash, cinema tickets and JUSTICE LEAGUE merchandise, Brushlink toothbrush tracker, 6 yellow loo rolls, Dorco Pace 6 Plus razor.
    • lynwestie
    • By lynwestie 6th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    lynwestie
    I reported too last night.
    Funnily enough I entered a comp later yesterday that only required a reply & I didn't RT it. I've had a DM today thanking me for entering. I've never been so pleased to get a £5 discount offer.
    That kinda shows that hopefully it's just the notifications going awol but I also entered one that needed a hashtag reply I couldn't see my entry when I searched "latest" for the hashtag.
    • Zanzib
    • By Zanzib 6th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 56,864 Thanks
    Zanzib
    This is the first time I'd heard about it.

Though I don't use my comping twitter address very often, I do have other ones for my professional life.

It may explain why a friends #ff tweets aren't showing up though. So thanks for the info.
    • lynwestie
    • By lynwestie 6th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    lynwestie
    Just checked mine on the link again & my ban seems to have been lifted. Now to be careful! I do use twitaculous so going to click through & enter directly & not via the app & alter slightly my daily Raff/blog entries. I do plenty of my own tweets & photos anyway so I can only think It's one of the above causing the bans
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 7th Sep 17, 7:17 AM
    • 4,169 Posts
    • 152,087 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    Rather than using the link, I check opening an incognito window, where I am not logged into twitter and in the twitter search box, I type from:@MyUserName if my tweets show, I know I am ok, but when they don't show, I give up for a day or two until they show again.

• BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 10th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    • 9,105 Posts
    • 313,200 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Interesting article here by Superlucky Di : https://superlucky.me/have-you-been-shadowbanned/?mc_cid=3088c58184&mc_eid=9b902434fa
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 10th Sep 17, 10:55 AM
    • 9,105 Posts
    • 313,200 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Quote from the above link: *Tweets you send using Rafflecopter & Gleam widgets will be recorded using direct links rather than a Twitter search, so they are still visible to a promoter if they check – this explains why shadowbanned compers are still winning prizes in blog giveaways!

I am pleased that my entries into raffs/gleams will have been recorded as I worried they wouldn't be! The main concern is for tose compers entering Twitter comps regularly
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • womble_lancs
    • By womble_lancs 10th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    womble_lancs
    I'd never even heard of shadowbanning until I accidentally stumbled across this thread. I have a twitter account that I use mainly for comps and whilst I'm not shadowbanned, I know that one company has blocked me themselves, because my tweets from that account are mostly comps. It's a real shame, because when I was researching to purchase a product from them (earphones), I discovered I'd been blocked by them on Twitter, and so I decided to go elsewhere for my purchase. Their loss.
    2013 win: 1 x DVD | 2014 wins: retro sweets hamper; T-Rex box set; theatre tickets; children's book; £50 shopping voucher; 1 x DVD; 3 months supply of dog food; Sherlock DVD | 2015 win: Samsung Chromebook | 2016 wins: £50 iTunes vouchers; £200 cash |
    2017 win: £100 cash | Microplane zester & grater
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 10th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 17,000 Thanks
    Blueyez
    I'd never even heard of shadowbanning until I accidentally stumbled across this thread. I have a twitter account that I use mainly for comps and whilst I'm not shadowbanned, I know that one company has blocked me themselves, because my tweets from that account are mostly comps. It's a real shame, because when I was researching to purchase a product from them (earphones), I discovered I'd been blocked by them on Twitter, and so I decided to go elsewhere for my purchase. Their loss.
    Originally posted by womble_lancs

I was blocked by them too, I think a few people were blocked by them.
    2017 wins: Thomas Sabo diary:GF goodies: Umbrella: Caran d'Ache pens:Xmen merch:sunny D socks: Staedtler pencils: Years worth SunnyD: Zaini hat: DespicableMe bundle:PNY bundle: PilotPen & book: personalised Yull shoes:Colouring book:PostIt pack:cashmere jumper
    • lynwestie
    • By lynwestie 12th Sep 17, 8:51 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    lynwestie
    I've been in & out of twitter Jail 3 times this past week now. Each lasting for 24hours. Been ok now for a couple of days whilst I've been very cautious. I've done very little & making sure I do as many of my own tweets as I do Rt's. No twitaculous, no raffs/gleam Entries and checking my status several times a day. Got a bit gun ho tonight & did 2 RT's within an hour & a reply with a hashtag. back in jail now!

It seems you are on a very tight rope when you are released.
    • chickaroonee
    • By chickaroonee 12th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 14,376 Posts
    • 1,121,784 Thanks
    chickaroonee
    yes I've been in and out of jail too. I wonder if tweeting to friends would help? If anyone is in this position and wants to try it, let me know.

I do a few gleam/raffs and this is probably the main problem I suspect!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,977Posts Today

7,748Users online

Martin's Twitter