Visa chargeback scheme

lisyloo
lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 5 September 2017 at 10:16AM in Consumer rights
Hello,

I had to give up a "comfort" seat that I'd paid for on a flight when we were moved to a smaller aircraft.
I have a hand-written offer of compensation plus full refund.
I'm not getting any joy with EasyJet.
I've taken this up with my bank as I paid via visa debit card.

I am expecting them to be able to deal with the refund issue as we simply didn't get what we paid for.

Does anyone know whether they'll deal with compensation if I have the offer in writing.
I'm asking as it will affect the way I proceed.

I have already sent 3 online complaints (1 of which I have chat transcript to show it was received) and 1 letter (signed for), but no response so far.

Thankyou

Comments

• When you say a hand written offer was this something that easyjet has sent you in the post of via their chat?

What are easyjet stating as the reason to not go along with their original offer?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2017 at 11:01AM
    cono1717 wrote: »
    When you say a hand written offer was this something that easyjet has sent you in the post of via their chat?

What are easyjet stating as the reason to not go along with their original offer?

Or is the issue that you don't think the offer of compensation is high enough but Easyjet are refusing to negotiate with you?

Regardless, I think your thread would be better placed on the Flight Delay Compensation sub board to Overseas Holidays (it deals with issues other than delays).
  • lisyloo
    edited 5 September 2017 at 11:08AM
    cono1717 wrote: »
    When you say a hand written offer was this something that easyjet has sent you in the post of via their chat?

The handwritten offer was given to me by the cabin manager (I have his name) onboard the flight. It details the offer, circumstances (moved to smaller plane) and the time of the phone call from the captain (named) and who (airports liason officer)/where (LGW) the phone call was made.
    I am assured the phone call would have been recorded.
    The paper is EasyJet branded on the back.
    Personally I think that's reasonably good evidence.

I have not had any reason from EasyJet.
    There is a possibility that junior staff saw a compensation payment for delay and thought it had been dealt with but we are now at the "LETTER BEFORE ACTION" stage and I would expect someone to read it properly now and not get confused between the EU261 compensation for delay and something completely different.
  • lisyloo
    edited 5 September 2017 at 11:09AM
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Or is the issue that you don't think the offer of compensation is high enough but Easyjet are refusing to negotiate with you?

Regardless, I think your thread would be better placed on the Flight Delay Compensation sub board to Overseas Holidays (it deals with issues other than delays).

Not at all.
    The offer was made on board and put in writing.
    I am just expecting them to pay what they offered (and honestly disgusted that they haven't given that we co-operated and gave up a seat that we needed).

My question was about the VISA chargeback scheme.
    i.e. can they deal with compensation (where it's a written offer and therefore binding) or can they only deal with refunds.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    How long ago did all this happen? How long have you been waiting for the refund/compensation?

IMO (assuming the flight went ahead) you're not entitled to a full refund PLUS compensation - you're entitled to a refund of any additional premium you had paid for services not supplied. The cabin manager may not have had authority to make the offer he/she did ... I'd be careful about getting too 4rsey with Easyjet about this as they could easily withdraw/not honour that offer.
  • lisyloo
    edited 5 September 2017 at 11:59AM
    DoaM wrote: »
    How long ago did all this happen? How long have you been waiting for the refund/compensation?

IMO (assuming the flight went ahead) you're not entitled to a full refund PLUS compensation - you're entitled to a refund of any additional premium you had paid for services not supplied. The cabin manager may not have had authority to make the offer he/she did ... I'd be careful about getting too 4rsey with Easyjet about this as they could easily withdraw/not honour that offer.

The flight was 15/7.
    I emailed on 16/7 so 7.5 weeks. One of the reasons I wanted it dealt with quickly was to give them the opportunity to check the phone call whilst tapes available and also check with the crew whilst they still remembered what happened.
    The cabin manager made the offer after the captain spoke to the airports liason officer. I think if they make an offer that they should honour it and I happen to think a judge would agree.
    But anyways we certainly agree I'm entitled to the refund for service not received that they haven't made.

What I'm asking is whether the VISA chargeback scheme covers compensation.

I am not sure what you mean about 4rsey.
    I've written on-line and on paper and got no replies.
    As we agree they should refund (at least) for service not received then do you think it's acceptable to simply not reply?
    Using the visa chargeback scheme and or going to court is simply to get what they've offered.

Again the simple question I'm asking is Does the VISA chargeback scheme cover compensation (in writing) or merely the refund.

I am disappointed about the lack of support offered on here (not particularly what I came here for) after I co-operated and gave up a seat and stood or sat in discomfort for the flight through no fault of my own. I stood up for about 15 minutes and sat for about 30 on the flight attendants seat. Not that it matters but I am not the one causing the issue here, but I suffered discomfort because of this so that someone else could fly.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs I think they should honour the offer they made. Personally I think it's generous, but they made it and they should honour it, surely or at the very least give a refund for services paid for but not received.
  • lisyloo
    Does anyone know whether the VISA chargeback scheme would cover a written offer of compensation of just refund for services not received.

Giving details appears to hamper things.

Many thanks
  • Please stick to just the one thread.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5705487

Makes it overly confusing otherwise.
  • lisyloo wrote: »
    The flight was 15/7.
    I emailed on 16/7 so 7.5 weeks. One of the reasons I wanted it dealt with quickly was to give them the opportunity to check the phone call whilst tapes available and also check with the crew whilst they still remembered what happened.
    The cabin manager made the offer after the captain spoke to the airports liason officer. I think if they make an offer that they should honour it and I happen to think a judge would agree.
    But anyways we certainly agree I'm entitled to the refund for service not received that they haven't made.

What I'm asking is whether the VISA chargeback scheme covers compensation.

I am not sure what you mean about 4rsey.
    I've written on-line and on paper and got no replies.
    As we agree they should refund (at least) for service not received then do you think it's acceptable to simply not reply?
    Using the visa chargeback scheme and or going to court is simply to get what they've offered.

Again the simple question I'm asking is Does the VISA chargeback scheme cover compensation (in writing) or merely the refund.

I am disappointed about the lack of support offered on here (not particularly what I came here for) after I co-operated and gave up a seat and stood or sat in discomfort for the flight through no fault of my own. I stood up for about 15 minutes and sat for about 30 on the flight attendants seat. Not that it matters but I am not the one causing the issue here, but I suffered discomfort because of this so that someone else could fly.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs I think they should honour the offer they made. Personally I think it's generous, but they made it and they should honour it, surely or at the very least give a refund for services paid for but not received.

Disappointed by the lack of support on here? In which case,contact and a lawyer and see what they advise.

1) How much was the flight?
    2) What is a "comfort" seat and how much did it cost you?
    3) How much did Easyjet offer you?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,541 Forumite
    I am assuming that a comfort seat is a second seat that you book in your name to give you 2 seats together but with the change to the smaller aircraft this was no longer an option so you had 1 seat instead of the 2 you paid for...is that correct?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure