IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Mystery CCJ - Civil Enforcement Ltd

Options
Hi,

i have been pointed in this direction after some advise elsewhere on the forum.

i have just found out that i have a CCJ put in place in May 17 from Northampton County Court Business Centre and Civil Enforcement Ltd.

after some investigation the issue is my old employer rented some car parking spaces which i used regularly but when cameras were fitted i recieved a letter saying that i had a ticket. i took the letter to my employer who to my knowlidge "sorted it" this would have been at somepoint between janurary 16 and august 16.

a short while later and i have changed employer moved address and sold the car.

with the advise i am given im a looking to get this matter Set aside and will pay the fee for this.

my only worry is that the information on this forum states that i would need to cover 2 points. 1 being that i never received documents which i wouldnt have due to moving address and another that i have a valid defence. my worry is that my defence would be that yes i did park here but i was entitled to as an employee of the company that rented the spaces. for this i have proof such as payslips a contract of employment.

obviously i do not want to drag an ex employer to a county court to defend a £290 parking fine.

what would be my next best move???

any help is appreciated.

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Payslips do not provide proof you were entitled to park there. Who employed CEL? Did they tell them not to proceed with court action? If they did can you get that in writing?

Will your ex employer send a letter or email to you confirming you had the right to park?
  • jamiegray47
    jamiegray47 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Probably not likely that they will, havent been in touch for almost 12 months.

And in terms of cel i cant remember who sent the origional letter and dont have it to hand. This is the problem with not having all the info i cant really defend it.

All i have is my word that i worked for the conpany that rent the spaces
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    This is the problem with not having all the info i cant really defend it.
    Everyone says that - it is NOT true. You have loads of defence points to include in your supporting statement to go with your N244 set aside application.

Your case is the same as all the other CEL set asides; loads here, use the search the forum facility and copy them.

Read saggi's thread, and others linked in the NEWBIES thread (post #2 of it) about how to get a CCJ set aside.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • waamo
    Options
    Have you read this thread? http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5619965

It is linked to in the Newbies thread and contains a good template for a set aside. The OP in that got one pretty much on the strength of not receiving papers.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Yep, that one and saggi's thread are good, all linked in the NEWBIES thread.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2017 at 7:33PM
    Options
    I do not know why, when a CCJ is issued to an old address, you need to show that you have a defence. Can you not just tell the judge that, had you have received the original PCN in time, you would have paid it at the lower rate?

Also, I read that you can get a set aside if the debt has been calculated incorrectly, which is nearly always the case with PPCs' claims.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • waamo
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    I do not know why, when a CCJ is issued to an old address, you need to show that you have a defence. Can you not just tell the judge that, had you have received the original PCN in time, you would have paid it at the lower rate?

Stop being so sensible. Common sense would cause the whole system to come crashing down. As a former employee of HMG you should know that.
  • jamiegray47
    Options
    Ok so i have messaged the previous employer and i am waiting for a letter to say that he rents the parking space and that i was authorised to park there.

im just looking at the N244 and this is very confusing as its asking what level of judge would be needed and how many hours and minutes would a hearing take?

Thanks in advance.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    You need to practise searching the forum, I found this within one minute flat:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72212851#post72212851

HTH
  • jamiegray47
    Options
    Thanks all for your help.

To keep the thread updated, i will be going ahead with the set aside for the following reasons.

I have a written letter from my previous employer stating that the company rent the car park from xxxxxxx and that as an employee i was entitled to park there.

I have spoken with Civil Enforcement Ltd who have no recollection of any charge or claim against my self at my previous address where the claim is charged against.

I moved out of the address and received no letters other than the origional from the owner/ manager of the land which i passed on to my ex employer to action. i was therefore unaware that Civil Enforcement Ltd were persuing any charge or claim.

Also Thanks Coupon Mad for linking your previous post regarding filling out the N244

Jamie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport