Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kookygirl
    • By Kookygirl 15th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Kookygirl
    Need help identifying a stove
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    Need help identifying a stove 15th Jul 17 at 12:29 PM
    Hi,

I need help identifying a stove, I have trawled loads of photos online but haven't come across it yet...

First of all how do I upload a photo, it's asking for a url??

Thanks!
Page 1
    • Kookygirl
    • By Kookygirl 15th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Kookygirl
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    Ok I Youtubed it.

• frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 15th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    • 6,083 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

you can upload it to tinypic,

copy link and click on wee postcard mountain icon when in message box and paste.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Kookygirl
    • By Kookygirl 15th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Kookygirl
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 16th Jul 17, 10:57 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:57 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 10:57 PM
    Try the separate Green Living Forum in the woodburning section: quite a number of knowledgeable people there.

Like me they will point out that the tape across the stove is there for a reason, one possibility the danger of gassing yourself with Carbon Monoxide..
    • Kookygirl
    • By Kookygirl 16th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Kookygirl
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    Thanks, I will check the forum out. The tape is actually just there as a it's a repossession property which is currently vacant with water and electricity switched off. So all the taps and white appliances have the tape on them also. Clearly whoever put tape everywhere didn't know how a wood burning stove operates.
    • Kookygirl
    • By Kookygirl 17th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Kookygirl
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    I managed to get an identification from Rangemoors which is nice of them. It's a Pevex Flatford, part of the Suffolk range. It seems to be quite cheap compared to the one I had installed in my own home (Jotul F100), I believe because its steel construction and not a known brand, but can't find many reviews on Pevex stoves. Anyone have any opinions on them?

I'm almost in two minds as to whether I swap my current stove with the Pevex, they seem to require similar flue sizes.
    • Kookygirl
    • By Kookygirl 17th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Kookygirl
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    Correction, the Suffolk range is cast iron.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 17th Jul 17, 4:55 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:55 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:55 PM
    Well, I've heard of Jotul but not of Pevex, but not sure that's any help! Jotul seem to have a good reputation.

It could be of Chinese cast iron construction, and they can make decent castings but there's a lot of rough stoves around as well. You'll need to speak to someone with a bit of expertise. I'd go for the Jotul if the flue size is ok and it's a known quantity to you.
    Last edited by silverwhistle; 17-07-2017 at 4:58 PM. Reason: Addl info
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 17th Jul 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I see you found your way to the right place. The other photo showing the crack confirms my advice!!
    • Kookygirl
    • By Kookygirl 17th Jul 17, 10:08 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Kookygirl
    Yes indeed! Though ironically nothing to do with the tape! It's probably not as big of an issue as it seems anyway. I sent a small fortune installing a nice stove in my current home and I can never be bothered to use it. At least this broken stove also looks nice as decoration.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 17th Jul 17, 11:50 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    As I mentioned before you can do a lot of heating with a stove but it needs time to obtain and prep the wood, which I have and imagine you may not. But it's good healthy exercise and keeps this lass fit and strong!
    • Kookygirl
    • By Kookygirl 18th Jul 17, 8:39 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Kookygirl
    Thanks, with the new place being electricity only, I will be more keen to use the wood burner. I think using a wood burner is habitual, once I get into the habit, I probably won't look back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,922Posts Today

7,496Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin