Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 15th Jul 17, 1:00 AM
    • 3,584Posts
    • 2,911Thanks
    dekaspace
    Making a broth with bones/meat
    • 15th Jul 17, 1:00 AM
    Making a broth with bones/meat 15th Jul 17 at 1:00 AM
    Ok so I was passing a local butcher that had a sign saying dog bones £1, my relatives are visiting in a few days with their dog so thought I would get a bag.

The bag ended up to be massive, not sure if it was because I went about 45 minutes before closing time but its about the size of a bag for life! and the bones have scrag ends of meat on.

A few months back I bought a big broth mix from supermarket and was thinking to make a nice meaty broth.

But never done that before so wanted some advice.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 15th Jul 17, 6:55 AM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 6,830 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:55 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:55 AM
    Your main challenge will be finding a big enough pan by the sound of it! Are they mixed or all one animal do you think?
    I would dump the ones that look same in a massive pan with some onion/celery, a couple of carrots, bay leaves, peppercorns and lots of water. Leave to simmer for 24 hours and then remove the bones. At that point you may want to leave boiling to reduce volume. Then use as stock.
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 15th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 32,273 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    If you want a darker stock roast the bones in the oven until they brown then cook with the water, onions, carrots, pepper corns, bay leaves etc. You could do some light stock and some dark so that you have two different bases as it were.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,481Posts Today

8,485Users online

Martin's Twitter