Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Jacks1919
    • By Jacks1919 10th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    • #1
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    Ccj 10th Jul 17 at 5:30 PM
    Iíve just checked my credit file and noticed a CCJ was added to it 4 months ago. This was made against me at an address I moved out of nearly 5 years ago and all correspondence was sent there so I knew nothing about this. Can they do this? I was saving for a mortgage deposit and now Iíve got no chance of getting a mortgage! So angry!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 14,871 Posts
    • 15,698 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • #2
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    Had you provided the other party with your current address?

    If not, they have acted accordingly.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 10th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    • #3
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • #3
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    Did you know you owed money to someone, but thought they'd forgotten ?
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 11th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,244 Thanks
    • #4
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    • #4
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    If the debt is in dispute, you need to apply for a Set Aside with the courts.

    It costs £250~ to do, and only resets the process, meaning they can go back and get another CCJ if you don't have a strong enough defence. Not updating your address with a creditor is not normally enough to get a Set Aside but get legal advice to look at your case.

    You can get details of the case from your court, and fight from there.
  • National Debtline
    • #5
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • #5
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    Hi Jacks and welcome to MSE,

    Unfortunately, claim forms only have to be sent to the last known UK address so if you had moved and not told them, that is most likely why you missed them.

    You could consider a set aside application (it is actually £255) but as StopIt says, this only takes the process back to the beginning. The court will normally assess how long it has taken you to file this, why didn't you reply to the original forms and do you have a realistic prospect of a defence. Legal advice is essential because if you file this and are unsuccessful you can incur the legal costs of the other side and end up owing more.

    If you have no defence to the debt itself and can pay it in full then at least the status of the CCJ will change from defaulted to satisfied. Whilst this may not instantly improve your rating, it will send it in the right direction. You could then consider talking to an independent mortgage broker for more advice (just be mindful of their fees).

    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,587Posts Today

5,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

  • You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t?

  • RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

  • Follow Martin