Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Carl31
    • By Carl31 6th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 1,892Posts
    • 4,145Thanks
    Carl31
    Teenager and trainers
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    Teenager and trainers 6th Jul 17 at 8:26 PM
    Would you spend 120 quid on a pair of trainers for a 15 year old daughter?

Opinions on such a purchase greatly received...
Page 1
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 6th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 9,082 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    No I wouldn't.
    I would give her the cost of a 'regular' pair and if she wanted the more expensive ones she could pay the difference herself whether that be by saving up her pocket money/ allowance/ earnings from part time job/chores etc
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 6th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    • 7,306 Posts
    • 7,691 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    Not blinkin likely.

I wouldn't spend £150 on five pairs of trainers for myself.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Carl31
    • By Carl31 6th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 1,892 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    Carl31
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    thanks for the replies, glad i am not the only one, shame the wife didn't agree

My futile attempt at a lesson in not needing overpriced, material objects to enjoy life was unfortunately thwarted, despite being discussed previously

I shall go to bed tonight defeated and dissapointed
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 7th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 3,851 Posts
    • 10,618 Thanks
    Caroline_a
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    Are these for fashion or for sport? If for sport then I would answer maybe, but if she never goes near any sorting of sporting activity it would be a resounding no!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 7th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 7,306 Posts
    • 7,691 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    Originally posted by Carl31

At least you're not sleeping in the shed
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 7th Jul 17, 9:20 PM
    • 3,165 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:20 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:20 PM

Originally posted by Carl31
    Just think, if you'd given the correct answer perhaps you would only have been defeated..........
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 8th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 19,397 Posts
    • 31,380 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    My 14yo bought herself some trainers earlier this year but with birthday money she'd received.

I can't remember the cost, but believe it was significantly higher than what I'd pay for her to use as a fashion item just as a treat.

Because it was her money though she looked around for the best deal and found a pair she liked on sale.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 8th Jul 17, 7:50 AM
    • 4,781 Posts
    • 10,885 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:50 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:50 AM
    If kids know the value of money then they wouldn't ask for shoes so expensive. Both my teenage boys were non-label orientated and used to laugh at those stupid enough to spend big on a label.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 8th Jul 17, 8:52 AM
    • 6,869 Posts
    • 18,268 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    May I suggest introducing the idea of a Budget?

My lads now get very few surprises at Christmas since we instituted that concept - here is £X quid. Yes sure you can have that gruesome loud offensive piece of plastic from toys r us, bu that would be All You Get as it costs £X. Whereas if (like your brother) you wanted an MP3 player & headphones, then you couldn't have The Thing too, & he has money left for more presents so which would you rather have one big thing or several little ones?

They *even* realise that using MSE, cashback sites & general google-fu, I can often find that 'thing' for less than the RRP.

We've long since taught them that a "Label" (usually just) adds to the price, so it's worth being able to recognise them just to enjoy them from the charity shop.

Budget - concept for this month & defeat & disappointment will be less of an issue this Christmas. Daughter may learn enough to lead Mother down paths of righteousness?! (So Much Safer that way!)
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 8th Jul 17, 11:50 PM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 2,251 Thanks
    cjdavies
    I did when i was that age but it was it was my own money, never do it now.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 9th Jul 17, 6:55 AM
    • 29,102 Posts
    • 54,067 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    If kids know the value of money then they wouldn't ask for shoes so expensive. Both my teenage boys were non-label orientated and used to laugh at those stupid enough to spend big on a label.
    Originally posted by Money maker
    My son never cared either.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Jul 17, 8:09 AM
    • 19,397 Posts
    • 31,380 Thanks
    Spendless
    My son never cared either.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    Neither did mine and still doesn't age 17. My daughter is a different matter however.......
    • meer53
    • By meer53 9th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    • 8,772 Posts
    • 12,743 Thanks
    meer53
    Neither of my kids have either but it's the luck of the draw i think. I'm pleased they didn't as i can't afford stuff like that. My daughter( 17 next week) wanted some Timberland boots for Christmas last year, not for the label, she just likes them, i used Quidco and got them in the Office sale for just over £100 they were her main present, normally she's happy with Primark stuff which suits me ! I'd hate to feel under pressure to buy what they want but if you can afford it, and they appreciate it then i probably would. If they throw tantrums if you say no, then i'd dig my heels in. My daughter has a part time job and quite often we negotiate how much she is going to contribute if it's something expensive, otherwise she knows she's paying so it's off to Primark !
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 9th Jul 17, 10:56 PM
    • 13,337 Posts
    • 16,541 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    No I wouldn't.
    I would give her the cost of a 'regular' pair and if she wanted the more expensive ones she could pay the difference herself whether that be by saving up her pocket money/ allowance/ earnings from part time job/chores etc
    Originally posted by jackieblack

This was my stance 15 years ago my DD decided the expensive ones were not worth the extra and she only did it once..
    NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
    Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 11th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 9,082 Thanks
    jackieblack
    This was my stance 15 years ago my DD decided the expensive ones were not worth the extra and she only did it once..
    Originally posted by nearlyrich
    Ditto.
    We started when she wanted the school shoes with the flashing lights in the heels and progressed using the same principle throughout the teenage years.

Her dad is now using the same regarding her wedding - he's given her the maximum he can afford (enough to pay for a perfectly good wedding at a local venue) they want a country manor house and a few other fancy bells and whistles so are paying the difference themselves.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 6,586 Posts
    • 46,652 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Are these for fashion or for sport? If for sport then I would answer maybe, but if she never goes near any sorting of sporting activity it would be a resounding no!
    Originally posted by Caroline_a
    I do somewhat agree with this, depending on the sport and commitment level to it - I paid about $120 for my most recent running trainers and have done over 500 miles in them (due to be replaced). Fashion trainers = £40 for me

I would suggest she has a budget of X and if she wants something more than that, she needs to contribute the difference.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Lorian
    • By Lorian 11th Jul 17, 9:44 PM
    • 4,004 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    Lorian
    Converse might be a suitable acceptable alternative. Still expensive IMHO but less than those trainers....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,516Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin