35 London MoneySaving tips

Options
Former_MSE_Megan_F
Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418 Forumite
Newshound!
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all,

We've written a new 35 London MoneySaving Tips guide and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Megan
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is London overseas?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • prenton01
    prenton01 Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    it if you're an expat
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I suggest a slight amendment to your Gatwick - London Bridge travel costs. This journey can now be done on Oyster / contactless with an off-peak single fare of £8.10, and no evening peak fares apply. It's the same fare to Victoria, provided you use Southern, and not Gatwick Express.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Is London overseas?
    Several, London Ontario for a start...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Is London overseas?

It is now...

Joke... I've moved it to the UK board.

Thanks for flagging!

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    If you are travelling down by coach, 'go' before you get on and if its a long trip and you are female, its worth having a sheewee or similar so you can pee without sitting on the terrible piled up toilets. Also bring hand-wipes for when the wash hand basin doesn't work.
  • zappomatic
    zappomatic Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    I suggest a slight amendment to your Gatwick - London Bridge travel costs. This journey can now be done on Oyster / contactless with an off-peak single fare of £8.10, and no evening peak fares apply. It's the same fare to Victoria, provided you use Southern, and not Gatwick Express.

Also most trains from Gatwick to London Bridge only take 32 minutes (not 48 minutes), and to Victoria most of the Southern services only 31 minutes.

Arguably to base the City Airport timing (40 minutes) on a journey to Piccadilly Circus is a bit weird as most people needing to get to that part of London would most likely go to Green Park (step free journey so great for people with luggage) or Oxford Circus which take about half an hour. If your destination is the City it only takes 20 minutes to get to Bank,
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The article mentions that if you're in London just for the day to get a rail travelcard. This might not be the best Moneysaving advice. I've found it generally a lot cheaper to get a standard rail ticket and then use contactless for the tube. Railcard added about £12 on to the fare yet that's way above the contactless cap on tube.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • steve65e
    steve65e Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget Travelodge for accommodation. Hellish expensive for Saturday nights but can be ludicrously cheap at other times if you do a good trawl through them all. I've just stayed Borehamwood for £27. (And its right by Elstree studios for doing Tip 28).

One time the last train home was cancelled. I found Docklands T'lodge last minute for £29, went home in the morning and made a profit from Delay Repay.

I recommend Walthamstow Travelodge for the convenience of being right on the tube/train station, and Teddington for all round loveliness.
  • steve65e
    steve65e Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    My other tips are

1) Look on Time out website for
    https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/cheap-london
    https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/free-things-to-do-in-london-this-week and
    https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/free-things-to-do-in-london-this-weekend

2) You can save big if you can travel without going through Zone 1. Learn to use the pink card readers at interchanges. There's also some great advice about routes and fares and whether or not to use trains, tubes, oyster, contactless, railcards etc at http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk

3) WALK between sights in central London. They are closer than you think and you'll find interesting places along the way.

4)Use Clubcard Boost to triple/quadruple discounts to Tower of London, Tower Bridge etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure