Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lenny0212
    • By Lenny0212 27th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Lenny0212
    Peel Centre 14th May 2017
    • 27th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    Peel Centre 14th May 2017 27th Jun 17 at 12:03 PM
    Ok, so I live in Stockport and frequently park at the peel centre. I know they will get me if I don't get a ticket, however, a couple of weeks ago I was meeting my brother and his family for a coffee. We parked next to each other, I went and bought my ticket and his partner bought there's. We remember getting them, I actually made a joke about her having to go back and check her reg. We have pictures of our kids in our phones on that day the 14th May outside Costa.

Anyway, I received a parking fine for the 14th. I absolutely know I bought a ticket and they witnessed it. We know the date well because it was the day we got back from holiday.

The interesting bit is........my brother called me earlier to say that he has also received a ticket for the same date and time.

I am pretty sure I have my ticket amongst the 1000s i keep. But what I want to know is how should we proceed?

We kind of want to take it all the way to court so that it costs them more and they learn a lesson. I bet loads of people got fines on that day. Must have been an error with the machine. The only difference is that we know we got a ticket, and others may not be so sure.

I have posted this elsewhere and it seems we are not alone. So far at least 3 other people have had the very same penalty on the 14th May Peel Centre. I have since had my appeal denied and have offered to see them in court.

Stick together and we are stronger.

Let me know if anyone else has the same problem?

Thanks
Page 1
    • donotpay
    • By donotpay 27th Jun 17, 12:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    donotpay
    • 27th Jun 17, 12:36 PM
    peel centre parking
    • 27th Jun 17, 12:36 PM
    on the 14th of may i also used this car park, i use it frequently as i work in stockport. i used the parking bays near costa and also used the ticket machine outside it. i did what i needed to do and thought nothing else about it. a couple of weeks later i received a letter demanding £60 or £100 if that was not paid in the time given. i have lost my ticket but have appealed it and that was rejected as they have no record with my vehicle reg on their system. it seems funny as i am not the only one this has happened to on this day stockport peel centre 14th may 2017. i guess there is plenty more people out there with the same problem.
    • safsnowball
    • By safsnowball 2nd Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    safsnowball
    • 2nd Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    Same issue 15 May
    • 2nd Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    My daughter parked there on the 15 May and also purchased a ticket using the machine near Costa Coffee. She has received a non payment notice.
    Clearly there is some glitch in their system.

O.P. Where else have you raised this issue and found others in the same boat?
    Last edited by safsnowball; 03-07-2017 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Typo
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 2nd Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    • 40,166 Posts
    • 80,244 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 2nd Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    • 2nd Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    Have you all read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES that tells you how to deal with these PCNs? That should always be your first port of call. It's your one stop shop for private parking charges.

Do not pay, do not ignore, do not reveal the driver's identity, do not miss the appeal deadline.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Redx
    • By Redx 2nd Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 15,145 Posts
    • 19,064 Thanks
    Redx
    • 2nd Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 2nd Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    also read parking pranksters blogs and find the contact details for the 2 people who man the onsite office, contact them directly and explain the situation (without revealing who was driving) and ask them to cancel the pcn (s)
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • hoohoo
    • By hoohoo 3rd Jul 17, 6:40 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 3,097 Thanks
    hoohoo
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:40 AM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:40 AM
    The Prankster has published a list of known faults with Excel's machines
    http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/peel-cente-stockport-14-15-may-2017.html

He theorises this particular error is due to a clock error in the Cost Coffee ticket machine. If you still have your ticket you can check it and see if the date printed is 13 May or some other date.
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Jul 17, 11:30 PM
    • 48,809 Posts
    • 62,312 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 3rd Jul 17, 11:30 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 11:30 PM
    You should ALL complain to David Dunford at the DVLA about this glitch and rant that Excel have obtained your data without reasonable cause when they MUST have known their machines were faulty (due to the sheer number of PCNs generated over those days which must have been higher than normal, obviously, if the machine was glitching):

david.dunford@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

Promise us you will all email a complaint. The keeper named on the PCNs must be the complainant as it's their data.

Also, all consider a claim against Excel for data misuse under the DPA - £250 a pop isn't unreasonable.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• safsnowball
    • By safsnowball 12th Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    safsnowball
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    Update on post #3
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    My daughter appealed the ticket, and quoted the number of people on here and other forums who had been issued a ticket when using the same machine on similar dates.
    The appeal has been upheld with the company withdrawing the claim as the ticket was "issued in error"

How many other punters will have just paid up, outrageous.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 48,809 Posts
    • 62,312 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    Send a complaint to your MP and the local paper to publicise this glitch. Please do!

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 12th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 9,135 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    Have you all read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES that tells you how to deal with these PCNs? That should always be your first port of call. It's your one stop shop for private parking charges.

Do not pay, do not ignore, do not reveal the driver's identity, do not miss the appeal deadline.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    The sticky advice is not always the answer to every case - as c-m would, hopefully, agree. Her it seems there is a "class action" for a better phrase where clearly the equipment is at fault.

PPCs are now used to forum appeals and, no doubt, have their own Sticky template reply. With a case like this, there needs to be a different approach and the advice from c-m seems about spot on.

If the various victims pm each other and exchange details, then the local paper could interview them and get a decent story from it.

Then, of course, if one of the MSE members wanted to raise a DPA action...................................
    • peakview300
    • By peakview300 14th Jul 17, 9:04 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    peakview300
    SAME ISSUE 15TH and 17th MAY

I received 2 parking charge notices from Excel Parking for parking on 15/05/2017 and the second was for 17/5/2017 on the Peel Centre car park.
    Tickets were definitely purchased from the machine nearest to the Costa outlet.

I appealed these PCN’s but they have both been rejected on the basis that no similar registration numbers were found in their system at that time.

I have requested logs from the machine on those dates and stated that my research has revealed that other people have had the same issue during that period in May 2017.

Their response was to refer to my request as my ‘appeal (representation)’ and have asked me for prove I purchased the tickets and they have extended the deadline for the £60 payments.

They have not referred to my request for the machine logs.

I have posted this information various other forums but I am completely at a loss as what to do next.
    Contacting Excel seems to be inadvisable as I may prejudice myself whilst ignoring their correspondence will lead to solicitor’s letters, threats and ultimately a court appearance.

Any advice would be most gratefully received
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 48,809 Posts
    • 62,312 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Trading Standards and your MP need to hear about this, now.

And complain to the people who run the Peel Centre, now.

• peakview300
    • By peakview300 14th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    peakview300
    Thank you for your reply Coupon-mad, I will email or post my letters of complaint over the weekend along with a carefully worded response to Excel quoting the number of other motorist similarly affected.
    I will also quote the 'issued in error' occurrence noted above.
    Thanks once again
    • peakview300
    • By peakview300 21st Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    peakview300
    An update on the 2 PCNs issued against my vehicle during May 2017.

I have written to Excel Parking Services quoting the numerous websites (including this one) that have recorded similar issues with the malfunctioning ticket machine at the Peel Centre.

I also repeated my request for the logs from the ticketing machine and stated that I was fully prepared to defend these notices in court and would not be bullied by threats of increased penalties and cost associated in pursuant of these false claims.

I have also written explaining the situation to owners and managers of the parking i.e. Peel Land and Property at Stockport and their head office at the Trafford Centre along with emails to Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council, Stockport Trading Standards and Stockport Citizens Advice Bureau

I have today received emails from Vehicle Control Services Ltd (same address as Excel Parking cancelling the Charge Notices

The reason stated:

After a thorough investigation of the events surrounding the issue of the CN, combined with the evidence held on our internal systems; we can confirm that the Charge Notice has been cancelled with immediate effect.
    We trust you find this outcome satisfactory and thank you for your future co-operation.

Many thanks to everyone on this forum for your invaluable advice.

If I can be of any help to others please post on here or send me a personal message.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 21st Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 48,809 Posts
    • 62,312 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I would actually keep up the attack and expose them to compensation for you for this distressing issue and demands.

cc: david.dunford@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

Dear VCS,

Re: PCN xxxxxxx - data misuse and misappropriation complaint

Thankyou for your email which is far from satisfactory.

As an aside, the lack of apology has been noted by my brother and myself, but we have reason to believe that discourtesy is normal for your industry of ex-clampers. As such, we will rise above the rudeness implied by you thanking me for my 'future co-operation', suggesting that I have not ''co-operated'' and are somehow guilty of a contravention after all. I suggest you might improve your response in future, to other victims of your machine malfunction, especially with Trading Standards, my MP, the DVLA and other interested parties scrutinising your conduct.

However, there are more significant concerns and this too will be raised with the parties who have been involved in supporting me with my complaints, as well as (now) the Information Commissioner and the DVLA. You will note that Mr Dunford is now copied into this serious complaint and it will be appreciated if Excel and VCS will appraise him of the full circumstances and also copy the DVLA in when replying to me.

Kindly explain:

- when Excel Parking Services Ltd passed my data to VCS

- why Excel Parking Service Ltd shared my data with VCS

- on whose authority did VCS conduct a ''thorough investigation of the events surrounding the issue of the CN'' bearing in mind VCS have no interest in it

- what did that ''thorough investigation'' comprise and why was VCS involved?

- what was the outcome/conclusion that you have skirted around (i.e. did VCS discover that Excel's machines were faulty, if so how, and how many VRNs were processed/viewed by VCS, and why)?

- exactly what ''evidence'' is or was (even temporarily) held on the ''internal systems'' of VCS? Does VCS hold, or did it process or view VRNs? Names and addresses? Money paid, per vehicle? ANPR images?

- whether the two companies are sharing a database, and on what basis this sharing data of keepers/vehicles appears to be a part of your normal way of business

- how Excel Parking Services Ltd obtained my data, and assuming it emanated from the DVLA, on which date(s) was it obtained?

- whether Excel Parking Services Ltd obtained prior permission from the DVLA to share my data with VCS, if so, I require evidence that this was allowed and who (at VCS, Excel and the DVLA) authorised the sharing of my data?

- why a PCN was ever issued to me, and to my brother xxxx xxxxx and to other people on that day, or days, of machine malfunction?

- how many PCNs in total have been identified as having been issued in error?

- what steps are being taken to refund other victims for the period, who were similarly caught (like myself and my brother's car were) yet have paid for fear of court or whatever reason, having been misled by your 'PCN'?

- what steps are being taken to ensure these machines do not malfunction again?

- exactly what time/date(s) the machines were malfunctioning (from which time to which time, spanning which dates)? This is information which is within your possession and which can easily be produced, and unreasonable to withhold from me, given your reply about your thorough scrutiny of the system.

- what level of compensation for distress caused by this data misappropriation and misuse is Excel Parking Services Ltd prepared to offer myself, and my brother, at this stage?

I will be copying your reply to all interested parties and my brother xxx xxxxx will be sending you a duplicate of this email, since he is equally horrified that Excel Parking Services Ltd have obtained his data seemingly by deception and then processed it to demand money that Excel was never entitled to, and then shared that data with another, separate Ltd company which happens to share an address and Director.

I reserve the right to commence court action regarding the distress caused by this wholly unwarranted and harassing demand for money. A third party company looking at my data, then withdrawing the 'PCN' with bad grace does not repair the data misuse damage, indeed it has compounded the issue.

You are reminded that the above is information which is very clearly readily available to you and/or Excel Parking Services Ltd, and which you (or Excel Parking Services Ltd) as a defendant will be under a duty to produce, pursuant to paragraph 6(c) of the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct. Should you or Excel refuse full disclosure in response to my questions, then your conduct will be drawn to the court's attention when it comes to conducting my claim and when it comes to the question of costs, I will seek an order that you/Excel must produce your system data including the time/date(s) of the machine malfunction(s) and an explanation of how PCNs could possibly have still been automatically produced and posted to innocent consumers, with no apparent due diligence.

Kindly reply within seven working days of receipt of this email.

yours faithfully,

peakview300
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 21-07-2017 at 11:38 PM.

• peakview300
    • By peakview300 21st Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    peakview300
    Thanks for this Coupon-mad. I will compose the letter/email this weekend and send Monday with a copy to DVLA
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 21st Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 48,809 Posts
    • 62,312 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Go for it, let's flush out this damn industry from under their stones and out of their dirty hidey-holes. They should be ashamed of what they do.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 22-07-2017 at 12:48 AM.

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 21st Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 13,980 Posts
    • 21,943 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Thanks for this Coupon-mad. I will compose the letter/email this weekend and send Monday with a copy to DVLA
    Originally posted by peakview300
    Please 'go for it'. It's unbelievable how many in your position start to feel 'grateful' to the PPC for 'letting them off'.

Join those who've given you such excellent advice in fighting this scourge. You've nothing to lose; they've cancelled your ticket, now grab their jugular!

You will help so many who follow you in defending this attack on them.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 22nd Jul 17, 12:42 AM
    • 2,277 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    and .....

if I may be so bold ......

the government is to consider a private members bill .....

this was posted by 'bargepole'

"Some action at last:

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2017-19/parkingcodeofpractice.html

This Private Member's Bill has Government and cross-party support, and stands a good chance of making it into statute.

The full text of the clauses will be published nearer the date of the second reading, but my sources tell me it's something we should support.

Now would be a good time to write to your MP urging them to support it."

so perhaps you can help ?

good luck

Ralph
    • peakview300
    • By peakview300 22nd Jul 17, 8:25 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    peakview300
    Hi Umkomaas, i am definitely 'going for it'
    Coupon-mad's excellent template just needs a little tweaking to remove reference to the brothers. My response will be emailed Monday along with 'signed for' letters in the post

Truly indebted to Coupon-mad
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,232Posts Today

8,095Users online

Martin's Twitter