Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dom_Fletch89
    • By Dom_Fletch89 26th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dom_Fletch89
    New Build Developers Discussion
    • 26th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    New Build Developers Discussion 26th Jun 17 at 2:47 PM
    Hi everyone,

Myself and my partner are currently looking to buy our first house and we are looking to take advantage of the Help To Buy scheme. We are currently viewing a number of developments from a range of developers and I was just looking to see if anyone has any feedback, good or bad

The developers that we have seen homes from so far and those which we know are building within the area we would like to live are as follows:

- Barratts
    - Linden Homes
    - Miller Homes
    - Persimmon
    - Taylor Wimpey
    - Bovis Homes
    - Bellway
    - Redrow
    - David Wilson Homes

As I say, it would be good to hear from some of you to see what your experiences have been like so far with any of the above on topics such as;

- The buying process
    - Sales staff during and after your purchase
    - Extras and upgrades (availability/prices/value)
    - Build quality

I know there are lots of horror stories out there and equally positive stories that I've seen from various forums around the web but I thought it would be good to get some feedback from the MSE family.

Thanks in advance guys
Page 2
    • ChrisG03
    • By ChrisG03 4th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ChrisG03
    It is Persimmon Homes too. I don't know if NHBC have signed it off yet. I assume they have as it has all went through according to the builder. As soon as I found out I emailed my solicitor but still awaiting a reply. Normally I wouldn't be bothered as I am moving into my new house when I return to work but what has upset me is the sales Rep lied to me on the phone and said everything was done.

Yeah I made my dad take pics in case. I might contact NHBC. I isn't think of that, thank you. I was thinking what if I didn't actually go on holiday and I turned up on the 30th wanting my keys after they told me it was all completed. Then what would persimmon do.
    • F_T_Buyer
    • By F_T_Buyer 5th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    • 1,107 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    F_T_Buyer
    Some years ago I did likewise. After a nice Sunday lunch in a country pub. We ended up doing a p\ex and moving into the showhouse some 19 days later. While letting them continue to use the sales office (our detached double garage) for a negotiated fee.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Sounds good, we're moving into the show home with the detached garage currently as a sales office. Do you mind if I ask what your negotiated fee was?

I might suggest they let us move in early and we rent the garage to them!
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 5th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 55,797 Posts
    • 49,165 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Sounds good, we're moving into the show home with the detached garage currently as a sales office. Do you mind if I ask what your negotiated fee was?
    Originally posted by F_T_Buyer
    In the end the package ended being.
    • A fair price for our old property. Could have sold it for more privately
    • A reduction of £16k on the selling price. A lot of money had been spent on the interior and landscaping the gardens. Valuer therefore down valued and we stood our ground.
    • A garden shed was installed (as we had no garage of our own)
    • Use of a double garage on the development (until such time as they vacated the sales office).
    • For every week they remained in the garage. They agreed to pay us £25 for the inconvenience, i.e. have people walk across the drive. Also we agreed that the 2 sales ladies could use our downstairs toilet and get water from the kitchen.
    • Likewise they paid our water bill until they vacated.
    • Paid our electricity bill for 10.5 months. As the sales office needed almost constant heating for them to be to able to work in there

The whole deal was driven by the fact that 31st December was their year end. As a division their head office charged them 1% of the value of any unsold property.

Fun started when we sold the property some 18 years later. When we subsequently found it was built on the site of a chemical works dating back to the 1860's but that's another story.
    Last edited by Thrugelmir; 05-07-2017 at 9:23 PM.
    "Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett
    • wifigeek
    • By wifigeek 11th Jul 17, 6:43 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wifigeek
    I have bought with Persimmon and more recently Bellway.

I wouldn't buy another Persimmon home due to size, quality of build and poor customer services with regards to snagging.

Bellway homes (in Scotland) that I had looked at were much bigger than other builders, found Taylor Wimpy home to be tiny in comparison. I am happy with the house and Bellway have been quick to rectify any snagging that has come up
    Originally posted by paddycharlie
    My bellway home for comparison (also in scotland) has been a world of pain. poor customer service. major defects. things that dont confirm to NHBC standards (e.g. back garden that you cant put a garden fork fully into in some areas). gutters that dont drain water correctly. I had a concrete floor that was sloping outside NHBC tolerances (now fixed). some things fixed first time, some things being a war/multiple attempts to get things done. im still waiting for fixes 5+months in.

I think bellway will be good if you get a good quality one, but it seems very region/site manager specific. get a bad one and you will have a real war on your hands to get things fixed. http://www.mybellwayhome.co.uk
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 11th Jul 17, 8:35 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    sultanabran
    I've been in my new Barratt home for a couple of weeks and can't really complain about anything. If I have an issue, I just talk to the site manager and he gets it sorted. Try and make sure you buy a house while the development is still ongoing. Sure you'll have to put up with dirty roads and building work but it's far easier to get snags sorted if there are still tradesmen on site.

Standard for my house were fencing and gate all around the back and sides. Turfed to the rear and front gardens, shrubs/plants, outdoor tap and outdoor light at the front. Integrated kitchen appliances were also included.

I also managed to get them to throw in flooring throughout.

Post move in seems to depend very much on the site managers on your development.
    • Dolly123
    • By Dolly123 13th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dolly123
    This is because the 30th June is there year end so they needed to get you completed that day so that you could be included in there figures, terrible really just keep nagging and nagging!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,506Posts Today

7,240Users online

Martin's Twitter