Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cathy711
    • By cathy711 18th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 52Posts
    • 45Thanks
    cathy711
    Help on item breaking - looking for advice
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    Help on item breaking - looking for advice 18th Jun 17 at 9:01 AM
    Recently sold a gold stoned ring - sold without sizing and clearly showing and stating some tarnish due to poor storage. I tried the ring in a few times including for the photos. Buyer contacted me about 8 hours after receipt saying that it has snapped across the back and including a photo. She wants me to consider a partial refund to get it fixed - up to half of what she paid.
    Honestly can't decide what to do - any advice?
    If I leave it to ebay - what's likely to happen? If I take the ring back, I'm getting much less than it's now worth.

Any help please.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    • 31,865 Posts
    • 37,579 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    tell her to send it back , get it fixed at your expense
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 18th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 59,458 Posts
    • 42,167 Thanks
    soolin
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    tell her to send it back , get it fixed at your expense
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    I agree, take control of the situation . A gold ring shouldn't break like that, although the metal is a softer one it should still be able to withstand normal wear.

Ask buyer to open a SNAD case, once case is open send a label for the return (it will all be explained in the request console) once item is back click on refund and close case. Then take the ring to a jeweller for advice about either fixing it or scrapping it, if the repairs are expensive then scrapping it might make more sense
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 18th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 660 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    For me, much would depend on the ring's value.

Given the buyer seems to have opened a sensible dialogue with you, ask her if she would be willing to get a written quote to have the ring fixed and say you'd be happy to pay up to [£x]. If it's a valuable ring, that would at least save you the cost of having to pay insured and tracked postage to have it returned to you/sent back to her.

If the quote is any more than £x, say you will take the ring back and refund her. Then get it fixed and you can sell again, presumably at a decent price.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 24th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 24th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 24th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    What gold was it, and had the ring been resized?

I had an antique ring of 18ct gold which had been resized - (probably poorly). Wore it for a while then actually caught the ring on something in the garden which broke the ring and nearly took my finger off!.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,228Posts Today

6,703Users online

Martin's Twitter