Amex Proof of ID after getting the card

Hello

I few weeks ago, got my shiny Amex Gold, posted. Everything was ok, till this morning.
I've been doing a few purchases, mainly Amazon and TfL, but today I tried to pay £408 on eBay and my card got declined. Called them and they said they needed to verify a number, and that should take up to min 10. After that no luck.
Called them again, and the lady said they were unable to verify my Landline and Mobile (Despite the fact that I have a contract with Vodafone).
She said I should receive a letter on the post soon, asking for proof of ID and address.
Is this normal? I mean, I get the card and then I send POI/POA?
Also, they need the Vodafone bill (hard paper copy) as proof of address, not even a bank statement!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It's not normal, but it happens.

The bank statement wouldn't verify the number, which is why they want the Vodafone bill.
  • leon_panda
    leon_panda Posts: 25 Forumite
    Really weird since they actually mentioned POA, not number, but she suggested to attach a bank statement as well.
    I had to request a copy of my Vodafone bill, since they don't accept PDF or print outs
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    I guess you really want the card, because I'd be at the stage of telling them to cancel the card and just pay it off.

It's one thing requesting it before acceptance, after acceptance and receiving the card and even after you have the card and before you purchase. But to ask for it now, I'd be telling them where to go.

I don't think the consumer is always right and I see the need for security, but this is just plain inconveniencing the customer.
  • leon_panda
    leon_panda Posts: 25 Forumite
    fozmcfc wrote: »
    I guess you really want the card, because I'd be at the stage of telling them to cancel the card and just pay it off.

It's one thing requesting it before acceptance, after acceptance and receiving the card and even after you have the card and before you purchase. But to ask for it now, I'd be telling them where to go.

I don't think the consumer is always right and I see the need for security, but this is just plain inconveniencing the customer.

It is a PITA indeed, because I have to request and collect the POA (Vodafone and Nationwide bill/statement) plus getting my passport copy certified.
    I'll just wait and and see. If after sending my documents they demand for more, I'll pay off the balance, and ask them to cancel the card.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Have you checked your credit files to make sure there is no ID fraud that has taken place / any information that appears to be incorrect / if you are showing on the electoral roll on all 3?

The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk

When you say you were trying to pay eBay, do you mean you were using the card to pay your sellers fees, or were you using it to purchase something from eBay (via Paypal) etc?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure