Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sam M
    • By MSE Sam M 13th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    • 228Posts
    • 158Thanks
    MSE Sam M
    MSE News: Eligible for carer's credit? Don't put your state pension at risk
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    MSE News: Eligible for carer's credit? Don't put your state pension at risk 13th Jun 17 at 11:36 AM
    Up to 230,000 unpaid carers are putting their state pension in jeopardy by not claiming carer's credit...
    Read the full story:
    'Eligible for carer's credit? Don't put your state pension at risk by not claiming it'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 13th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    • 3,291 Posts
    • 2,259 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    'If you're eligible for carer's allowance you'll automatically get carer's allowance credit, which works in the same way as carer's credit - so there's no need to worry about claiming for carer's credit too.'

Not quite accurate MSE, the credits you get with Carer's Allowance are Class 1 credits whereas the carer's credit is only Class 3.

IQ
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 16th Jun 17, 11:28 AM
    • 7,508 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:28 AM
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:28 AM
    'If you're eligible for carer's allowance you'll automatically get carer's allowance credit, which works in the same way as carer's credit - so there's no need to worry about claiming for carer's credit too.'

Not quite accurate MSE, the credits you get with Carer's Allowance are Class 1 credits whereas the carer's credit is only Class 3.

IQ
    Originally posted by Icequeen99
    What difference does this make to actual pension payments ?
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 16th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 3,291 Posts
    • 2,259 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 16th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    What difference does this make to actual pension payments ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    It doesn't - just impacts on other benefits you might get due to national insurance record. I've come across a few people who have claimed the carer's credit and then tried to claim other benefits and found they can't because they are class 3.

IQ
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,422Posts Today

8,739Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin